Let's talk Chicken.. The pets, not the food..

jeeper

Currently without Jeep
We made some pretty good progress on the coop and run yesterday.

There is a very thin line between being a good dad, and getting a job done. I usually am not very good at all at being a good dad. I yell, they cry, I do the project alone.

I tried really hard to focus on being a good dad during the day. If the kids wanted to work, I let them be in control. It was slower, but still got done. If they were tired, I let them rest, and I got some work done. At the end of about 9 hours I had to clean up to take my wife to dinner, and the kids still had happy faces (for the most part) so I called it a win.

9E26E81A-448C-47DB-875A-DF1B19505F71.jpeg41AEB60F-14C7-4F5F-B088-5581612E032A.jpeg4E0021D2-CCBB-4E21-AA2F-E019D1E55651.jpeg

shortstraw8

We get about 7 eggs a day from our 8 chicks
We hatched 2 from eggs one turned out to be a rooster and ended up dying which is fine cause fertilized eggs are a but much.
Need to build a better coup now, thinking of turning our shed into a full coup/storage for all their crap, are you using that shed for yours?

jeeper

Currently without Jeep
We get about 7 eggs a day from our 8 chicks
We hatched 2 from eggs one turned out to be a rooster and ended up dying which is fine cause fertilized eggs are a but much.
Need to build a better coup now, thinking of turning our shed into a full coup/storage for all their crap, are you using that shed for yours?

No, our shed will remain a shed. I decided to attach the chicken run to the shed so that when all this goes south, I can convert it to more shed space and have covered space to park some SxS’s there.
The run is 8x16, and will have a full roof, mostly metal with about 1/4 being clear plastic panels for sunlight.

F20775B4-36E6-4694-B28B-87D6DCE25754.jpeg

I am building a stand alone coop that will set inside the run. It’s 4x8, 3ft tall.
The egg doors will be accessible from outside the run. The big door for cleaning the coop will be inside the run. #flatbedworkspace

A1414402-B8D7-4870-AAA2-B965F295A6DB.jpeg

The kids had the chicks out in the sunshine today. The chicks loved it. Very playful and jumping around. The dog seems to handle it well enough.

DDAF5480-1391-4A2A-BAA0-1A87BD83E6E4.jpeg

jeeper

Currently without Jeep
I’m up to about 24 hours of building and painting for this coop and run so far, and just shy of $1,500. That doesn’t count the kid and wife hours, or the 4 hours my brother helped with today.

The worst part is that I look at it and wonder where all the time and money went because it looks like a few sticks thrown together 🤣🙁

But I do think it is coming along nicely.

ID Bronco

You're on the right track, spending a lot more time and money than you'll ever re"coup". You must be doing it right. :D

$1500 / $4.50per 18 is 333 18 packs of eggs. I realize you haven't fed them yet. I respect "building kids" and this is a great way to do that. Good job

jeeper

Currently without Jeep
We have one hen that is blind, like really blind. She doesn't lay anymore, but she get's around. The kids like her best and I like an underdog so we keep feeding her. Her name is Helen.

We have one chick, 'Henny Roczen', who is blind in one eye. She came with it super swollen and red, the kids kept some cream on it and now it looks great, but cloudy. Other eye is still good.