Let's talk dirtbike tires

Vonski

nothing to see here...
Any update on this? I'm ready to pull the trigger

Sorry man, you'll wanna source them elsewhere if you're ready right now, as the relationship hasn't been established with Golden Tyre yet. I'm gonna run one on a bike I've got coming, but I may need to do the same.

Tonkaman

Sorry man, you'll wanna source them elsewhere if you're ready right now, as the relationship hasn't been established with Golden Tyre yet. I'm gonna run one on a bike I've got coming, but I may need to do the same.

No problem at all. I look foreword to getting them locally next time though. I'll let you know what I think if them

Tonkaman

I just ordered a set Goldentyres.
The rear is a GT 523KX which is a 110/100-18 in a "sticky" compound.

Front is a GT216AA which is the fatter version at 90/100-21

The big question now is if I should switch to tubliss for the first time or stick to tubes (that always go flat) or go back to bibs (that felt dead)

I'm really looking fire someone to convince me to go tubeless or to stay away from tubeless. Tell me what I need to hear.

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
I ran Tubliss on a couple different bikes and always loved it, but it does require more care mounting & dismounting, plus checking the pressure of the inner bladder that acts as the rimlock before every ride. For your XTrainer, I think Tubliss is a no-brainer, you can run super low pressure, get maximum traction and not worry about tearing up rims, etc. I've heard the product has gone thru some revisions and improvements to make the inner bladder last much longer, so that's great news.

I've heard guys say that if the inner bladder fails, you should carry a normal tube... but I never had issues.

I had a flat front tire on my DR650 years ago, found the hole, plugged the tire and we were back to riding within minutes. I LOVED the Tubliss setup after that. I have had 3-4 flats on the front of my 990 Adventure and strongly considered running Tubliss on it, to solve that problem.

Cascadia

Undecided
Paul and Greg will convince you to run them. They have had good luck with them. I haven't. I like the feel of bibs. I think the pressures feel good til the very end and I never worry about any sharp rocks. I aim for them.

Gravy

Ant Anstead of Dirtbikes
Supporting Member
Well knock on wood, I've run Ultra heavy-duty tubes and greased them and have only had a single flat in 3 years. I run 10 to 14 PSI depending upon race conditions more often than not though I run 12 PSI.
I'm sure I could get used to bibs but I don't know if I could get used to the cost.
Greasing your tubes often with heavy axle bearing Grease really seems to be the key to avoiding pinch flats. I often have used slime or the like but haven't recently.

Cascadia

Undecided
I think weight has a lot do do with flats and you weigh a bit less than me. I saw Von drive over a half mile of solid nails once. He didn't get a flat. He's like 37 lbs with all his gear soakin wet.

Tonkaman

I think weight has a lot do do with flats and you weigh a bit less than me. I saw Von drive over a half mile of solid nails once. He didn't get a flat. He's like 37 lbs with all his gear soakin wet.

Oh I never even thought about this. Good point. No wonder I'm always getting flats, I weigh as much as 3 Strattons!

Caleb

I had a flat front tire on my DR650 years ago, found the hole, plugged the tire and we were back to riding within minutes. I LOVED the Tubliss setup after that. I have had 3-4 flats on the front of my 990 Adventure and strongly considered running Tubliss on it, to solve that problem.

That was on our ride from Moab to Fruita. A storm was rolling in and we were a ways out still. I remember coming up on you with a front flat and instantly thought we'd be finishing our ride that night in the rain. Boy was I wrong, threw that plug in and we were back on our way in no time. Ever since then I've been a fan of the tubliss system.

Vonski

nothing to see here...

It's true, I soak my gear before every ride. :)

I like front bibs and rear ultra HD rear tubes. Although I've had good luck for the most part, I'm going to a rear bib as well. If you're light they last quite a bit longer too.

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
That was on our ride from Moab to Fruita. A storm was rolling in and we were a ways out still. I remember coming up on you with a front flat and instantly thought we'd be finishing our ride that night in the rain. Boy was I wrong, threw that plug in and we were back on our way in no time. Ever since then I've been a fan of the tubliss system.

Yep! I became a big fan right at that point! :D

Tonkaman

I'm excited to hear how you like that motoZ. I know Russ likes it but it will be nice to hear a second opinion.

I ended up buying the Goldentyre "gummy" rear tire. IT WAS GAME-CHANGING!! I had so much traction my confidence skyrocketed. I was doing huge wall rides on the slick Rock and never slid out an inch.

Unfortunately, as predicted, my tire is 80% gone after exactly 100 miles[emoji30]. It was worth every bit of fun it gave me but I can't keep buying them at that price.

Gravy

Ant Anstead of Dirtbikes
Supporting Member
Russ has the Motoz Hybrid. I got a TRACTIONATOR ENDURO Soft Terrain.
MOTOZ-Tractionator-Enduro-ST.jpg

Here's another one to look at
http://www.shinkotireusa.com/tire/505-hybrid-cheater

Last edited:

rholbrook

I just purchased the Shinko 505 Hybrid Cheater. I still have a ton of tread left on my Moto Z Mountain Hybrid and I have a lot of hours on it. I have had it on now for a year and a half and it is still going strong. I have had two flats on it. One I road out 15 miles and the other I rode 30 miles on it to finish one loop in a race. A normal knobby would have shredded in 15 miles as I have shredded them before. The Moto Z is a very tough tire with lots of grip in all conditions but really muddy conditions. Its great in the desert, fantastic in the rocks and great in sand.

I bought a rim from Tyson so I figured I would toss the new Shinko on it. It may be softer than I like but I will give it a go.
http://www.shinkotireusa.com/tire/505-hybrid-cheater

Tonkaman

That tractionator was super grippy on 5MOH. It chunked a little but I expect any tire would have. I'll report again after I ride in St. George.

My tire didn't chunk at all... just sayin

Liking my Shinko 505 so far. It's actually wearing really well. I went to buy another one and they are out of stock on the 120 until Feb 2017.

I'm excited to try out a cheater as well. How does it compare to the hybrid you were running?