Lets talk KOH. Good and Bad

Westernhunter

First off, I've never been to this event. I'd like to but I don't know the logistics and I have no RV. That being said, I'm not sure I would go having seen the YouTube videos that are out there.
The racing looks cool and seems top notch but it's the afterhours crowd that would really get to me. Is this the face of our community? They do look like they are having fun, but the level of craziness seems to me to be over the top. I saw one vid of a girl getting into a fist fight over being stuck on an obstacle and another guy trying to go around or over her boyfriend's truck. It leaves me with a bad taste for it.

Call me a Fud or whatever but I just don't get it. Even the racing is so spread out how would you enjoy the race not knowing where everyone is on the course?

What are your thoughts?

benjy

Rarely wrenches
Supporting Member
I took my family (3 kids) and spent 2 weeks on the lakebed this year. We had an absolute blast, very likely we go again next year. There were plenty of other families out there and we never felt out of place.

We spectated at the designated locations with the kids during sanctioned race events.

Our girls’ birthday was while we were out there and we took them to Disneyland for a day, and had no fears about leaving our trailer out there. We left some valuables out that were there when we got back.

We left the kids a couple nights and watched backdoor for a couple hours. A lot of redneckery out there, but nothing you wouldn’t see any busy weekend at the dunes.

The coverage is so good that you can follow it just as well from home, but being there was special. As far as spectating while out there, we streamed it on our TV with Starlink while at the trailer, and when we were out and about they have huge screens to see the same as the YouTube feed while at major places (backdoor, chocolate thunder, hammertown).

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
First off, I've never been to this event. I'd like to but I don't know the logistics and I have no RV. That being said, I'm not sure I would go having seen the YouTube videos that are out there.
The racing looks cool and seems top notch but it's the afterhours crowd that would really get to me. Is this the face of our community? They do look like they are having fun, but the level of craziness seems to me to be over the top. I saw one vid of a girl getting into a fist fight over being stuck on an obstacle and another guy trying to go around or over her boyfriend's truck. It leaves me with a bad taste for it.

Call me a Fud or whatever but I just don't get it. Even the racing is so spread out how would you enjoy the race not knowing where everyone is on the course?

What are your thoughts?

A. You don't need an RV. Staying in your vehicle or ground tent is totally appropriate, just less common.

B. Don't want to be part of the night life, dont go to the obstacles where that exists. There are hundreds of acres of quiet places to camp each night that are miles and miles from that scene.

C. The live tracking and remote cameras are amazing. You can watch real-time racing and on the big screens at Hammertown, Turkey Claw, Chocolate Thunder and Backdoor. It's very spectator friendly and calm during the races.

Sure, you can watch racing on TV from home... but can you talk to racers, smell race fuel and cheer your favorite teams in the pits. Not the same

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
Yup, it’s not for me. Some of the videos I’ve seen people post are downright embarrassing. Fights, people driving over each other, almost running over spectators etc.

Nope.

Again, that all happens after hours and miles from where you could camp. That's like avoiding Pritchett because there is an event happening at BFE the same weekend.

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
I took my family (3 kids) and spent 2 weeks on the lakebed this year. We had an absolute blast, very likely we go again next year. There were plenty of other families out there and we never felt out of place.

We spectated at the designated locations with the kids during sanctioned race events.

Our girls’ birthday was while we were out there and we took them to Disneyland for a day, and had no fears about leaving our trailer out there. We left some valuables out that were there when we got back.

We left the kids a couple nights and watched backdoor for a couple hours. A lot of redneckery out there, but nothing you wouldn’t see any busy weekend at the dunes.

The coverage is so good that you can follow it just as well from home, but being there was special. As far as spectating while out there, we streamed it on our TV with Starlink while at the trailer, and when we were out and about they have huge screens to see the same as the YouTube feed while at major places (backdoor, chocolate thunder, hammertown).

You guys camped right at the edge of Hammertown proper correct? That's certainly a busier area to be but the racing out the window makes it worth it.

jeeper

Currently without Jeep
I've had issues over the last few years with the 'people' of our sports as well. Fights starting more often, attitudes suck, etc.
I haven't been to KOH, but I was kind of disappointed at Delta because of some of the less-than family friendly activity and such.
I think it is from 2 things:
1- Social media has allowed us to become significantly worse than we normally would, which has normalized poor behavior.
2- I'm just old and grumpy so things bother me more.

But, as been said, choosing where I stand at events makes a big difference.

benjy

Rarely wrenches
Supporting Member
You guys camped right at the edge of Hammertown proper correct? That's certainly a busier area to be but the racing out the window makes it worth it.

Yes, and I’d do it again, too. We parked against the spectator fence which gave us an area to fence off the kids in one spot. Hard to beat watching the end of the race 20’ from the course, streaming on the outdoor TV while the toddler takes his afternoon nap.

It would get busier on days of the big races, but most people would pack up and leave before dark.

And we could walk to hammetown and backdoor.

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
Yes, and I’d do it again, too. We parked against the spectator fence which gave us an area to fence off the kids in one spot. Hard to beat watching the end of the race 20’ from the course, streaming on the outdoor TV while the toddler takes his afternoon nap.

It would get busier on days of the big races, but most people would pack up and leave before dark.

And we could walk to hammetown and backdoor.

Rad. We camp ~ 1 mile south of HT these days as our group of 50-80 is just too large for a normal team spot but I loved camping in Hammertown. Teams are always down to let you check out their cars and prep process and the big screen is a fun place to catch up on the action. @Paul R and I had the bikes this year so our spectator days were easy.

If camping far from Hammertown for the peace and quiet, I would recommend a small SUV, SxS or bike to motor into HT or spectator zones.

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
I've had issues over the last few years with the 'people' of our sports as well. Fights starting more often, attitudes suck, etc.
I haven't been to KOH, but I was kind of disappointed at Delta because of some of the less-than family friendly activity and such.
I think it is from 2 things:
1- Social media has allowed us to become significantly worse than we normally would, which has normalized poor behavior.
2- I'm just old and grumpy so things bother me more.

But, as been said, choosing where I stand at events makes a big difference.

Delta got edgier as of late? I’ll have to try and get back there. I miss the days of @Tacoma breaking bones on a pit bike. :D

I don’t know that behavior is worse rather it’s memorialized with social media (forums are social media too imo) and lives on and to your point becomes normalized as acceptable.

jeeper

Currently without Jeep
Delta got edgier as of late? I’ll have to try and get back there. I miss the days of @Tacoma breaking bones on a pit bike. :D

I don’t know that behavior is worse rather it’s memorialized with social media (forums are social media too imo) and lives on and to your point becomes normalized as acceptable.

I don’t know if it is edgier or not, as it was my first. But I was firmly planted in not bringing my wife or girls to the environment.
The crude language that came over the loud speaker, and the comments/behavior around the courses is not the type of language my family typically identifies with.

Kevin B.

Not often wrong. Never quite right.
Not just normalized but I do think it gets reinforced a little bit? Social media (yes, forums too) has that effect.

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
I don’t know if it is edgier or not, as it was my first. But I was firmly planted in not bringing my wife or girls to the environment.
The crude language that came over the loud speaker, and the comments/behavior around the courses is not the type of language my family typically identifies with.

Wild.

Perhaps KOH is a more family friendly environment than Delta? :D

N-Smooth

Smooth Gang Founding Member
I didn’t hear any of that stuff at Delta but I was stuck judging courses at my own event 🤡. We definitely try and keep it family friendly but can’t control everything.

Gravy

Ant Anstead of Dirtbikes
Supporting Member
I think I've missed one Delta OSRC since it's inception. And I'm pretty sure I didn't hear Tacoma saying any unfamily friendly words over the loud speaker this year? After hours sure. But yeah I dunno maybe I missed something? Maybe bring back Sarge now that Taco lives in Tenn LOL?

jeeper

Currently without Jeep
I think I've missed one Delta OSRC since it's inception. And I'm pretty sure I didn't hear Tacoma saying any unfamily friendly words over the loud speaker this year? After hours sure. But yeah I dunno maybe I missed something? Maybe bring back Sarge now that Taco lives in Tenn LOL?

I did not mean to start any kind of drama… so forgive me if I misspoke.

For sure, nothing bad from Tacoma. Everything I would have to complain about came from the evening races, and the side-by-side crowd mostly.

N-Smooth

Smooth Gang Founding Member
For sure, nothing bad from Tacoma. Everything I would have to complain about came from the evening races, and the side-by-side crowd mostly.
Oh yeah I ignore that stuff. When the crawling stops and I get done setting up for the next day I go get some grub and hang out with family.

My mom actually commented about it not being super family friendly this year because of the sxs guys but she’s old. I guess what I’m trying to say is you’re an old lady 🤣

I kid. And no drama. If anything it just proved Kurt’s point that we can go to events and ignore certain behavior/crowds and still enjoy the event.

kmboren

Recovering XJ owner anonymous
Katelynn and I went to KOH two years ago and had a great time. We were not there on the big weekend but the weekend before. Chocolate thunder was crowded but not crazy and a fun thing to experience. Back door we were the only cars on it.

I am with Nate on Delta. Yes there is spectating swearing and drinking but I don't hang around it. When done with the comp we go and hang with Nate and friends.

ID Bronco

I have been to KOH 3 times but it's been about 5 years since I was there. It was a fun time with buddies and I LOVED wheeling the trails there but I wouldn't take my wife or daughter. My boys want to go and we may do that but I will stay away from Hammertown after dark and we would camp outside or the nonsense.

On an overall basis the low budget talk/actions are a big part of why I sold my crawler. When my kids started going with me I became very selective about who I wheeled with. Thank goodness our local club was really great for many years. My son is in that club again and I went out with him last fall. I was disappointed at the behavior and language. It has kept me from wanting to buy another rig. If I was a wheel in Moab twice a year with my own group guy it would be no problem, but I like the local feel/camaraderie of wheeling around here on the weekends.

Agility Customs

Vendor

If anything Delta has calmed down alot since you last graced us with your presence.