Lets talk KOH!!

SUPERFLY

CaptainRob
lets get real.. its the coolest race ever right? rock crawling combined with desert race! wtf!

anyway ive been dreaming about running this race for a few years now(someday i plan to fulfil that dream, buggy in progress..) but tonight while dreaming i stumbled on some pretty cool pics and videos on pirate that i hadnt seen on here yet. please add to them because it makes for good eye candy:D

this picture is beautiful and freaking awesome!

it is of loren healy
dcc0bf9f.jpg

here is an awesome video most of you have already seen but notice that the above pic was taken at 9:35
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NWcuGt5iefg

[YOUTUBE]NWcuGt5iefg[/YOUTUBE]

Bart

Saw that just after the race. Very cool vid for sure. Good luck with the build. Plan to spend a lot of time in JV getting acquainted with the area. It's massive.

R

rockdog

Wow, I watched the video of him passing. And could tell he was airborne. But that shot puts the pass into perspective and how determined he was!:eek:

SAMI

Formerly Beardy McGee
Cool shot, and determination yes.. But, I can't help but think of, "slow is smooth and smooth is fast".. That photo is the opposite of smooth, no matter how badass it may be. That is why he DNF'd.

cannoncrawler

TWERNT THE MORMONS!!!!!!
Meh. it's a crap shoot. Sure, the high dollar rigs will win, but the argument could be made that the only reason Shannon took it this year was he finally didn't have a major failure like the last two years. it might be sid that the only reason he didn't win last year was that he broke too much. But then again, who knows.

chadschoon

Cool shot, and determination yes.. But, I can't help but think of, "slow is smooth and smooth is fast".. That photo is the opposite of smooth, no matter how badass it may be. That is why he DNF'd.

Loren had a brand new car. Untested. He had a tranny issue is what I believe took him out.

SAMI

Formerly Beardy McGee
Just to clarify, if it had been misinterpreted, I didn't claim that it was the jump that took the guy out.

Hunt

We have competed in the race the last two years now and let me tell you it is an event that completely engulfs you. The combination of extremely high highs and painfully low lows makes for an emotional and financial roller coasters. Both years we have had qualified positions (5th at Rausch Creek ’09 and 1st at Badlands ’10). I don’t think we could afford to go clear across the country hoping for a LCQ spot. But then again that is part of the lure of the race. It has been something absolutely amazing to be involved in and I would not trade the experiences for anything. Our GPS recorded a 104mph pass across the desert. There is nothing else that compares to it!

Last edited:

BEACH

Casey Beach Racing
Supporting Member
By far one of the coolest races ever! Takes alot of commitment, money and determination. Countless hours in the shop and out testing. Many broken parts and money spent. But in the end its worth every bit. I tried very hard in the LCQ this year. Made many laps around the LCQ course and had good success. Come race day we were taken out by a broken ring & pinion but didnt give up instead we tried to make it the rest of the way in reverse. Needless to say we did not finish but as its been said before there is no other race that even comes close to it.. Thats just how racing goes. You win and you loose but its the experience that makes it worth it in the end!

LT.

By far one of the coolest races ever! Takes alot of commitment, money and determination. Countless hours in the shop and out testing. Many broken parts and money spent.

So, what kind of money are we talking about. I was thinking about this just the other day. I wager it is a million dollar effort or more for the winning vehicle. This includes, car, equipment, living quarters, spare parts, fuel, travel time, the works. It seems like some of the teams even have back up cars just in case. If the car is, say, $150,000 and just about equal for the back up, how much is spent on the living quarters? Time in the shop and the like? What about the money spent just to qualify for the race? How do folks afford to do this?

LT.

SUPERFLY

CaptainRob
I don't think you can have a "back up car" however I think I remember reading in the rules that you can replace any parts except the motor block, but that was a few years back. I'm sure Shannon had Easily over a mill worth of equiptment backing him up. His front suspension is worth more than my house! But that just proof at how cool this race is because even with all that money backing him he still can't win EVERY year, it's still a test of skill in both craftsmanship and driver

Casey you sure as hell did give it some serious heart, you'll get it this next year with out a doubt! Do you have any good pics from JV you can post up?

cjncustoms

I don't think you can have a "back up car" however I think I remember reading in the rules that you can replace any parts except the motor block, but that was a few years back. I'm sure Shannon had Easily over a mill worth of equiptment backing him up. His front suspension is worth more than my house! But that just proof at how cool this race is because even with all that money backing him he still can't win EVERY year, it's still a test of skill in both craftsmanship and driver

Casey you sure as hell did give it some serious heart, you'll get it this next year with out a doubt! Do you have any good pics from JV you can post up?

You actually can have a "back up". There was a discussion on pirate about it leading up to this years race. There was 1 or 2 teams in the lcq this year that were gonna qualify in one car and race the other I they got into the big race and it was perfectly legit. Think about How many qualify through out the year in the the other races then build a while new car over the winter for koh. Same thing just shorter time period!;)

R

rockdog

Shannon is nether smooth or slow.:D He drives balls out, even over the top of competitors. He won.;):rofl::rofl: