Let's Talk Lawns

nnnnnate

Supporting Member
Your yard looks real nice Mike.

After a real busy few weeks and letting it get a lot longer than I typically do, I managed to mow on Friday. My son was acting very bored and asked multiple times to go back inside so I gave him a quick lesson on the mower. Other than not being able to walk straight he did a decently good job. He asked to take a break half way through, which was denied, but continued without my complaining. He won't be mowing up front, at least for a while.

20230818_153657.jpg

I also threw down some urea with the hope that it would get watered in by the rain which it did. I knew that if I waited until the weekend again I was going to have a jungle on my hands so I was able to sneak out and give it another clip after getting my youngest to bed last night.

On Saturday I harvested a big bowl of two bite nectarines. I guess this is why you are supposed to thin them out. They do taste pretty good though. One branch is still good and there is a nub where the other two broke off so I hope that I can get some growth there next year that will reestablish what was lost. My peaches are also coming along but have another week or two before I think they will be ready. They are a lot bigger than these nectarines so that will be nice. I've also got 4 apples on a tree I planted this spring.

20230810_191708.jpg
20230819_093056.jpg

Pike2350

I need to figure out my lawn. The backyard is destroyed due to an addition we are doing. They still haven't gotten all the dirt out, and I took advantage of the contractors excavator and the weekend to try and level off the yard (planned this for a long time) I removed some concrete planting borders, and a big concrete pad from an old tin shed....then I pushed and piled as much dirt as I was comfortable with, I had no real idea on how much I needed because I still need to build the retaining wall on my west side.....but I had the dirt, so might as well use it.

I spent most of Sunday getting the south section leveled off. (from patio west to the left tree) I tried to make a slight grade to the west, but ended up almost dead level....not a big deal.....but I need the rest of the dirt removed so I can rent a dingo so mini skid to finish leveling out the yard. I also realized I need to add some sort of barrier around the 2 existing trees that would (currently are) buried beyond their root flare. Sucks that I will have to do this and figure out how to keep them from dying, yet still not look stupid with a hole around them. The Maple will have close to 2-3' of soil built up around it. I found some items to help with it, but that means the circle/barrier I use will be a 2-3' deep hole. any idea? The other bigger tree will have 12" on the front and 2-3' on the back.

After all the dirt work is done, and hopefully later this fall, I'm hoping to till in some rich top soil and then lay sod (too impatient for seed) Is there anything else I should be doing to prep for sod?

Last edited:

jeeper

Currently without Jeep
My neighbors have these massive pine trees. They’ve been big since the 21 years we’ve owned the home… so they have to be older than that. Mid 90’s is my guess.
I’ve never liked them. And they always get full of the fence vines growing up through them.
However, two of them are dying… and I will like looking at their house and yard even less than I like the trees.
Does this look like an old age dying thing, or do you think I can help save them somehow??

IMG_5133.jpeg

nnnnnate

Supporting Member
Conifers are a huge mystery to me. I don't understand how they grow and if they can regrow needles or any of that. I've got a globed colorado blue spruce (basically looks like a tootsie pop) that has about half of its needles missing right by my front door. I'm pretty sure my wife wants it removed but I'm leaving it because I'm not sure if it can recover or not. Its looked like this for a few years now. The other one across the sidewalk looks amazing.

Pike2350

I am finally wrapping up the leveling of my backyard...and need a little guidance on what is the best way to address/amend the soil I have.

To give a little more detail, the backyard used to slope down about 3' on the west end. With the addition and such, we had to remove our fence, which pushed the project of rebuilding the fence, retaining wall, and I may as well utilize some of the dirt from the foundation dig to level the yard.

Fast forward a few months and the fence and wall are done. the yard is basically leveled. The dirt that came out from the foundation dig seems to be lacking much in the way of nutrients. I want to try and get sod laid down before the end of October, so I'm trying to figure what is best to amend the dirt with? The soil seems fairly sandy, but it's really hard to tell. Any suggestions?

Here's a pic for reference

ADCreHeizjEFwlMkkA6v0gjK9UL6ITjHXp_fJFyDvCv3dZpa6hdKcTnM5zvrXKx68UAEGgeFOURWuqDOG73AcVLNrF2T_5KTW3SrT4UiY2kyKR7kru6p1bzYE7vuLv-BFMpJkiDzft7PP-y3VAtVEER-m0CdJlM2HTtFzaH8Ft0AFrPyuzgRI7x94S9Rsyi2pO9r1UlPtJq3m46KenW-dkeFtJPptbpkJ0dKQLJpS4mPppy_hTtnUn4u9BDV6iML7CLj9_xcgdhB7xfgOOdrN34LADNVv4SQ2DN5gFZd48j74fQctYqQ80pgBJkDtplKyZzPl2IV1dgxJE3t2w5DoCLCTXuxniruK_chmlOJ31k9FZAKxoHzd3glrBWcvJs_6bEpta72FRkkxRYH_ntdmLtujtq8V-9qU_0BdKO7vUPGg1r8pmqXobLMS4PUMYUcvIYQkEaYyQTG9FGqaghvZxY6S7X-A8ASJw3ou8eoZwJIIt71aKWizLjC7zF_E2lM3MT0Pb8yQdXl6MZ7h2J4RJH9K7ytnOFhmfGghL9agbqJ0FVGA0LlDE0rBmcBws8_jwLTKDDqLa9Hk1VGIEo3zOFSSyn0h_jJn2H_a4WC0Z23L9EZtOJP0TcRaYTJ-X0YaqsVmn-qQ878h2ztFsJ50HQnkSL9CwjqRjomgLGeKTBYbsYtKgRtiXYB235Ix-M3D46cA7cdtJVyXwGzSU0PmBZpxlCKKOrf7HTsRX0naGm6Xjq_Z3hUMru8CvhmUcUi22Mnvwj32FUWvUE3iZns6cRih8OxhklF9MoXofHUHIM0Wnjo8Cs-I4z8rpJTXMl2beu-Z824V7CZrEHJQ6e3-U_GxKL_QHAh0KQGNcO9VTzsn_nw5ZzqghiqBkUsYmYbdRbxPJr21lDks-2TX4VznRr4h8e1fjQ=w1241-h931-s-no
ADCreHcxrYW4uduXeeqavS8s-pWmZpthtlhs3DUNKZZVOJ8CGNXhCJKZZmoCOXZKmtEJoUdZG5m3ota0jg5W8k6CTtxzKokeLH-w0zZZvKnTz0qXlfqvvxnOjDifk8AEA0s_TjeGl-wyD2vni9sO8hFtg2RghHbUWEZHs_jFNNVra7nYCoDbWljRGC18ILZmcwddH1qMc785vvSxJSSq0rKHPiylwUhuAoZgGEkXgHUO-Ox4yZEADE-CfgzwxYBhVe70sGsbQaD5PPSKdrF9fi2PtXXfZ1Rcw7eIvaZwwiJp87hvLLqw6vtnMS5Jv3aqgbncb_40bqNz1saPHUnx7Xdc1vfjGeyV3fKVCREHKjGAPHLcuDIlJcJaOrmwfD6qKJPey-YcTpBB0v_7LEFkgQ6IENg2GnhQ2c_6ZiqAfWC5QqYO-tHtbD1oiO5ZMUNDR_r1XI8jF32D0cvNZFCbI3prDcZHrf-cPfhiXRj-vGwt5kAXobBcRGtoUdL5dj-cUjbEJe3tBYHooPSz64ppAqpU4Pu6Ln2G7ZGOdvCILWTLJ03IFZ2XB8rPpjIP94j4njBcsj-ZbhQV3O4Y0s4AL1Q77bvqJi67taly8pO3p4I0_P14RnT45QKZLDpYoHMpTNI1_mNcNR3T_2P-qzwxGRzxbzALJtqdb5TUFWx2J79MHdz_spAjXLd9Re8vd66mEsebu013JPo4q12YweY23Y4I7auN9MVWmrlxktXNI43Y2UqC8ggx1JmLRrNPFyvpQKN1ewZJduKh_jb8SgF_Sm8NrbCWynQCX9BbpLDZZNg6Pt5jjve8doIsu-RZFN0_5JddbR3F-E3Hmi71r4M53I8SLA5WohINW2VxJRBWA7jzZBmnMdARnhEokgfyon4UwQpU1CPHp06zpQM-b-AmDxtsFotJ-mI=w1241-h931-s-no

Last edited:

zmotorsports

Hardcore Gearhead
Vendor
Late Saturday I was able to get the lawn edged, trimmed and mower before the storm moved in.

In a couple of months it will be seven years since we purchased this place and in those seven years I have been obsessed with getting our yard looking as good as the one at our last place. I think I am finally happy with our yard and proud of the efforts that have gone into it.

The back yard and side yard my son and I redid completely upon taking ownership as the original owners let weeds take over and it was more weeds and mud than anything. When our contractor was building the shop I just told them not to worry about the yard as we were ripping it out and starting over and would put all new up to the fence and shop. Other than a few tweaks and a couple of additional heads the back yard has been pretty decent from the start.

The front yard however, is a different story. If I knew then what I know now I think I would have ripped it out completely are started over there as well. The front yard's sprinklers didn't even have any overlap so I have added two additional zones and about 10 heads to get full coverage and bring it back. Even then, I have some broad leaf grass in the front yard that is mixed in with the Kentucky Bluegrass and I think it will be there forever and not sure what exactly the original owners were thinking. I think this is going to be about the best I can do but overall I am quite pleased with how it is looking.
sept1.jpg

sept2.jpg

sept3.jpg

sept4.jpg

sept5.jpg

sept6.jpg

sept7.jpg

Over the past couple of years I have tweaked my sprinkler heads in search of fine tuning them to have adequate coverage in the sun and reduce the nozzle size of those in shady areas so I could optimize my water usage. Last year's drought had us only allocated @ 60% of our normal water usage and I struggled to keep it green during the lengthy time of triple digits. I ended up using all 60% of our water allocation and I did feel that I had done a reasonably good job of optimizing the sprinkler heads so this year would be to confirm those changes. I also cut out and replaced about 200 square feet of sod around the first of April where I had gotten grubs late last year and that section has recovered remarkably.

I looked today and with less than two weeks remaining on this year's secondary water allocation (secondary water will be turned off on October 15th) I am sitting at 66.4% for the year so I doubt I'll break 70%. I am very pleased with that usage considering how green I've been able to keep it this year.

SLC97SR5

IDIesel
One of the river birch trees in our front yard died so we cut it down and would like to replace it with something awesome and hardy.

It was planted 30 years ago and it seems quite nearly inline with the water main.

My questions are:

How deep are river birch roots (they seem pretty shallow, thus not a great choice)? Any chance that they are grown around the water line?

How deep is the water line buried? We are in a rambler and the H2O enters the house in the basement.

Can I just grind the stump out and start over with a new tree and not unearth a magical water hose?

We are west facing, what is a durable tree resistant to Davis County east winds?

jeeper

Currently without Jeep
How deep is the water line buried? We are in a rambler and the H2O enters the house in the basement.

Can I just grind the stump out and start over with a new tree and not unearth a magical water hose?

I don't know tree's, but I have replaced my share of water lines. Your water line should be fairly level from the house out to the street. So whatever depth it is at the foundation is what it is through the yard. You can also get a goodish depth idea from the water main. Typically 2-3 feet below the actual shut off is depth of the line. Which in theory lines up with the depth going through the foundation.

I've also ground more stumps than I can count. I've gone pretty deep and wide and removed all evidence of a previous tree without issue.
Never replanted though.

Pike2350

Purely an estimate but I would guess the water main is somewhere in the 4-6' depth below grade. Like @jeeper said, it is probably fairly level...so measure down from the ground to where it comes into the house and you probably have a good overall depth.

I have only ground out a few stumps but on all of them I never went below about 1'-2' in depth. Obviously if you want to replace in the exact spot you likely want to go a to 2' but otherwise none of the trees I've ground have sprouted back

nnnnnate

Supporting Member
Its not ideal to replant in the same hole as the stump because you probably aren't going to go through the trouble of removing all the roots. A couple feet away though is fine. The old tree roots will slowly rot as the new tree roots grow outward.

For tree recommendations my standard is to link to the USU extension service. Here is an article listing 16 less common trees they think we should plant more of in Utah. On that list is one of my favorites and would be my suggestion. The bur oak. It grows at a moderate pace once established (a couple years) and gets big and is a strong tree. I probably got 18+ inches of height growth out of each of the two in my back yard this year which have been in for 3 seasons now I think. You can also find them without much trouble. I have seen them in the last few years at both lowes or home depot in the spring. The nurseries also carry them if you prefer that route. It might be a little harder to find one right now though because its the end of the season.

Article with a few more stats...

OldGeezer

Back in the 80's when I worked for a company installing water lines we had to go below the frost line. Which was 4 feet. I doubt the ground freezes that deep now.

jeeper

Currently without Jeep
This year I watered the lawn a bit extra during may/june/july, and then it trailed off in Aug for the most part, and then once or twice in Sept. None in Oct. and I've already shut off the water. It's not bad by any means, but it obviously hasn't been growing much, and is not super sexy. I've never done a fall fertilizer before. Is there a certain one you folks recommend.. or just hit the IFA/home depot isle?

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
This year I watered the lawn a bit extra during may/june/july, and then it trailed off in Aug for the most part, and then once or twice in Sept. None in Oct. and I've already shut off the water. It's not bad by any means, but it obviously hasn't been growing much, and is not super sexy. I've never done a fall fertilizer before. Is there a certain one you folks recommend.. or just hit the IFA/home depot isle?

GreenPoint lawn care. I just pay for the year in the spring

zmotorsports

Hardcore Gearhead
Vendor

I've heard of people hitting the lawns in the fall when temps are closer to around 70-degrees with ammonium sulfate hard and it supposedly results in better outcome than overseeding. I think they call it a Fall Nitrogen Blitz, but don't quote me. My neighbor was telling me about it a few weeks ago as he did it last year and said he was going to do it again this year.

nnnnnate

Supporting Member
Thats correct Mike. Nitrogen in the fall helps repair your grass and fill in patches and holes now and helps green it up nice in the spring. You can apply urea (or ammonium sulfate) every week or two when the temps dip in the fall. It especially helps when its warm during the day and cool at night. Even when the top stops growing you can still push it with nitrogen and the roots will continue to grow and store energy for the spring. I had a super busy weekend and intended to put down urea on Friday/Saturday but didn't. I'm for sure going to tonight with the expected rain tomorrow.

Another good thing to do is cut the lawn shorter than typical in the fall. This will help with winter mold if you get that. The mats of grass that lay down and don't really come back well in the spring. Plus I think it looks nicer through the winter. I forgot to mention that to you @Stephen when we were talking the other day. I dropped my mower down a notch last mow and will keep it there for a couple weeks then drop it another notch for end of the season mowing whenever that happens.