Lets Talk Tents

Skylinerider

Wandering the desert
So, I am currently in the market for a 3 season tent. When I pack in the wrangler I need to pack fairly light, so a springbar is out, and a RTT is impractical on a wrangler. Given those restrictions what does a person look for in a tent? What features are a muct have and which ones are just nice to have? Material? Poles? I haven't bought a new tent in a dozen or so years. I'm willing to spend a bit for the right one.

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
I just bought another Eureka Timberline "Outfitter" tent. It's not the cheapest tent but kept me quite dry during some impressive storms in southern UT last week. I bought it to fit in the Wrangler as well and it sets up quite quickly.

I've had this one for at least 8 years....served me well when I used a tent and sets up quickly. Had an issue earlier this summer where I had a pretty significant tear. AFter a conversation with Eureka, I sent the tent back and they repaired it for me.
http://store.eurekatent.com/timberline-4-tent

Needed another tent for a trip before I got my tent back and bought this one. It's got heavier materials and updated poles and connectors. As mentioned above, it survived an impressive rain storm without my stuff getting wet. Can't ask for more than that.
http://store.eurekatent.com/timberline-sq-outfitter-4-tent

There are some nice tents out there. I like that these setup in about 5 min. or so. They pack down to a decent size and are a good honest tent. I'd count the "Outfitter" as the 3 season tent. I've stayed in the older tent in Jan. near Smith-Moorehouse.....it worked but it wasn't warm (not sure what would be in that situation).

Thread with some good info. I like quite a few of the tents I checked out that were suggested in this thread. Settled on what I knew....
http://www.rme4x4.com/showthread.ph...out-there-on-the-www-somewhere&highlight=tent

Last edited:

mesha

By endurance we conquer
A few things to look for
decent name brand
aluminum poles
bathtub floor
sealed seems
double wall construction (or at least a hybrid)
minimum of 2000 mm PU coating on the floor
minimum of 1500mm PU coating on the fly
proper ventilation for intended use

nice to have
3 pole design
weight (may not be a concern in a wrangler)
vestibule big enough for boots and a backpack
gear lofts
headspace
2 doors and vestibules
footprint option

If you may be out in windy weather (this is any season in Utah), get something sturdy from a well known high quality brand. My favorite over the last 10 years is cabelas Alaskan guide series. They are available in multiple sizes with fiberglass or aluminum poles. Lots of $, but worth it.

Skylinerider

Wandering the desert
Wind is a huge concern for me. I'm tired of worrying about poles snapping and grommets ripping. I always err on the side of caution and let the tent down if its just windy and no rain, but it would be nice to have confidence in my tent and be able to leave it up.

mesha

By endurance we conquer
For high wind you will look for aluminum poles, pole sleeves instead of clips and external guy line points.

Very high wind or heavy snow loads you will want internal guy lines as well.

If you are worried about high wind then consider a 4 season tent instead of a 3 season.

jeep-N-montero

Formerly black_ZJ
Back before I built our off-road tent trailer and was still using tents regularly I had very good luck with my Cabela's XPG 2 person tent back when they made it in a 3 season model. If you recall that really bad Memorial Day weekend storm we had in Moab a few years back that flooded the town streets and swept that group down Kane Creek, my little tent was set up at Gold Bar campground out in the open and was one of the few that didn't blow away or sustain damage out of everyone there, and that was without staking out the guy lines.

For a bigger tent on a budget, the Alps brand treated us well on a road trip to Maine and back including some severe thunderstorms across the Midwest, we have their 4 person model and only replaced a zipper pull in 6 years of ownership and about 20 nights in it.

The Eureka Timberline series is underrated and I have seen folks sustain some bad storms in them including a foot or so of snow, the pole design is very sturdy.

For a 4 season look at Sierra Designs or MSR, but unless you intent to use it a lot in the winter they are not worth it due to weight and lack of airflow in warmer months.

I'm a gear junkie and have about a dozen tents I need to go through, I will post them up soon and maybe something will fit your needs.

mesha

By endurance we conquer
I would strongly recommend renting a few tents before you buy. Many outdoor stores rent their gear.

Skylinerider

Wandering the desert
I would strongly recommend renting a few tents before you buy. Many outdoor stores rent their gear.

I was just thinking this. I do have a few tents, but there are little issues with all of them that make them less than ideal. I have a black diamond mega light that I use when I go back packing, it packs up small, but has little else going for it. I have a couple cheap coleman dome tents, but I'm not happy with the quality, and the zippers are horrible. I have a large Jeep branded tent that I love, but don't use it much because it's huge.

I'll definitely have to try and rent some quality tents to see what features I need, and what I don't.

ID Bronco

If you may be out in windy weather (this is any season in Utah), get something sturdy from a well known high quality brand. My favorite over the last 10 years is cabelas Alaskan guide series. They are available in multiple sizes with fiberglass or aluminum poles. Lots of $, but worth it.

X2 on the Alaskan Guide. I have one and have stayed in them winter camping 4-5 times a winter for about 5-6 years. Always held up and worked well. They were the only tents in the group that stayed up in a wicked blizzard/wind storm. They do have fiberglass poles though. They are thick and I have not broken or splintered one yet.

ZUKEYPR

I use a Sierra Clip Flash 3 I think it's called. The top is all mesh so in the summer it's cool, put the rainfly on and you'll be snug as a bug in the fall, put a blackcat heater in there for the winter and you'll be in your skivvies sleeping on top of your bag in 0-30 degree weather. Free Standing, backs the size of a loaf of bread. Oh and I'm 6'3" and 220lbs it has far than enough room for me gear and my 60 pound Siberian Husky.......dang dog steals the covers.

Skylinerider

Wandering the desert
Anyone ever use Nemo tents? At the OR show they seemed pretty well made (they should be for the price). I'm wondering if anyone has any real world experience with them.

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
Anyone ever use Nemo tents? At the OR show they seemed pretty well made (they should be for the price). I'm wondering if anyone has any real world experience with them.

We carried their tents on E7 but I didn't ever sleep in one. However I did sleep in their bags and air mattress both here in the states and Siberia, 100% fantastic stuff and I'd buy it a heartbeat. When I need a new tent I'll give them a serious look. Currently I have a Kelty 2-man, I've really liked it and it has kept me dry in year-round camping. Decent in the wind, cozy for 2 but doable. 5-6 years old and ~100 nights and it's still in great shape.

TRD270

Emptying Pockets Again
Supporting Member
I just bought another Eureka Timberline "Outfitter" tent. It's not the cheapest tent but kept me quite dry during some impressive storms in southern UT last week. I bought it to fit in the Wrangler as well and it sets up quite quickly.

Needed another tent for a trip before I got my tent back and bought this one. It's got heavier materials and updated poles and connectors. As mentioned above, it survived an impressive rain storm without my stuff getting wet. Can't ask for more than that.
http://store.eurekatent.com/timberline-sq-outfitter-4-tent

Marc could you snap a pic of this one all packed up, I'm in the market for a new trail tent. The one I have doesn't quite work with my new cot, I think this setup would work a lot better