Life with credit cards, -or- learning to dance with the devil

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
I have no interest in the delta cards. They’re just not that good and the other AMEX cards green, gold and platinum are much better cards for most people.

There’s a venture and a venture X card FYI.

I’ve never been on a carnival cruise. I started on Royal Caribbean and don’t want to take a step down lol I have standards

Last two cruises we were on were Royal and they are a serious step down from Carnival. Just my opinion

N-Smooth

Smooth Gang Founding Member
Last two cruises we were on were Royal and they are a serious step down from Carnival. Just my opinion
Obviously I don’t work for Royal so I don’t really have a dog in the fight. I’ve been on two cruises and both were Royal. My buddy that went on a couple cruises a year growing up said I was screwed for going with them first because now anything else would be a step down. Again, meh. Also everything I’ve read said Carnival is for “cost-conscious” cruisers aka the poors. So I just assumed. I’m sure a lot of it depends on the ship too.

mbryson

Supporting Member
Obviously I don’t work for Royal so I don’t really have a dog in the fight. I’ve been on two cruises and both were Royal. My buddy that went on a couple cruises a year growing up said I was screwed for going with them first because now anything else would be a step down. Again, meh. Also everything I’ve read said Carnival is for “cost-conscious” cruisers aka the poors. So I just assumed. I’m sure a lot of it depends on the ship too.

Starting in 2006, I think we've been on 4 Carnival and 2 Royal. 1st Royal was out of Galveston about 7 years ago. September 2023, we did the Alaska thing on a BEEEG Royal ship. Alaska was pretty cool. The ship was kind of cool. The food on board was about 2 out of 5 stars. Previous to that, I'd give all the ships we were on at least 3.5 stars on food.

I'm not sure if I'll cruise again (2 week Hawaii out of Long Beach is pretty tempting having never been to Hawaii) on Royal. I think Carnival has that same cruise, so I'd kean that way for sure.

My son and daughter in law have about 5 cruises in their not quite 5 years married. They are done with Royal as well. They're trying MSC next week but will likely bounce back to Carnival.

I might choose an old person line before truly giving the cruise up? I just think a cruise card is kind of a waste if I'm this meh on the cruise?

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
Interestingly, it's reported the average age of cruise goers is 48 according to the Cruise Line Industry Association in 2022.

I suspect that the real average for actual cruise aficionados is 75+ and the reported average is lopsided by binge drinking 18-25 years enjoying the all inclusive beverage plans. CLIA seems to ignore binge drinking Mexico Riviera statistics :D

Edit: I would love to go on this Cruise:

mbryson

Supporting Member
Arguing about cruise lines, something I never thought I would see on RME. What's next? Best white sneaker shoe polish and where to find a fanny pack with a hidden pocket for travelers checks? :D

You're both way too young to be arguing about the best cruise lines.

View attachment 169504

Sorry I was out in the garage with my Buick. Making sure the shuffleboard stick didn't fall off the wall and hit the car.

I do want to dump the cruise card. Get into something more worthwhile to me2010_3_11 133.jpg
Bonus pic of @mbryson in a Speedo

Last edited:

anderson750

I'm working on it Rose
I applied for my first CC a couple weeks ago. I got rejected. :rofl: I guess when they say 'excellent credit' they don't mean the number.. they wanted a history of CC ownership.

I can go on forever about the stupid that is lending if you are not 'in the system', but I wont.

That said, I do believe I will be wanting a card in the near future. I will be spending upwards of 6K-15K/Month that will (hopefully) be paid in full each month.

I have tried to read about CC options, but it seems there are more card options than color swatches at the home depot.

What card for business use would result in the best benefit to me? I don't think I care too much if it's travel rewards or money back.
If you are going to pay it off each month it really depends on what rewards you want. Cash back, travel, Cabellas points? Decide what benefit you want then seek out the card

N-Smooth

I applied for my first CC a couple weeks ago. I got rejected. :rofl: I guess when they say 'excellent credit' they don't mean the number.. they wanted a history of CC ownership.

I can go on forever about the stupid that is lending if you are not 'in the system', but I wont.

That said, I do believe I will be wanting a card in the near future. I will be spending upwards of 6K-15K/Month that will (hopefully) be paid in full each month.

I have tried to read about CC options, but it seems there are more card options than color swatches at the home depot.

What card for business use would result in the best benefit to me? I don't think I care too much if it's travel rewards or money back.
Will you be traveling for work? I guess it doesn’t really matter because most of the higher-end cards have great travel benefits and higher points for travel.

I think the capital one venture X is a cool card with 2x on everything and a low annual fee that’s offset by benefits. I’d have one but I think I’m sticking to the AMEX ecosystem. An interesting business card AMEX has is the blue business plus. No annual fee with 2x on everything for the first $50k. That’ll be my next card as it really compliments the gold and platinum. I’m just waiting on a better sign-up bonus offer.

Chase is also a very popular choice for their premium cards like the sapphire and sapphire reserve. I recommend you check out nerdwallet and other review sites for more info. They all have biases but there’s still some good info out there.

There are better cards for benefits, but besides a Delta Platinum Amex, I keep a Farm Bureau Mastercard that allows me to just apply the points as a dollar credit, so I can really get cash back.

N-Smooth

Whatever you decide on, make sure you look around for a good sign-up bonus. I can't stress that enough. I can provide some links of sites to find them and even some good referrals. Also, look at offers on card sites in incognito mode for the best results.

J-mobzz

I’ve been using AMEX for years now. I’ve always been extremely satisfied with their service and protection.

I just started with a different company in December. they make me use a corporate card. I’m already missing running all my business and travel expenses through my personal card.

ID Bronco

Nothing, nothing at all. I may have to look into the fanny pack thing. That sounds handy
I got one of these, handy and a great conversation starter. No one asks you to do any physical labor when you are wearing it.

m_65b0d0be7dfcc200cbecf433.jpeg

TurboMinivan

Still plays with cars
Looking at reward cards. Just read through the thread. Anything to add from the above?

The timing of your post is incredible, since I have just (over the last few days) started looking to get a new rewards card. The new wife likes to travel, and we have already taken more trips in our 17 months together than I took in the 15 years before that. Our next major trip will be in November, when we visit Paris for nine days. That airfare is gonna be expensive, so all my card-holding co-workers are suggesting I get a rewards card. Now that I've begun looking into the potential benefits, I agree.

There are some very interesting videos on YT about rewards cards, how they compare, and--perhaps most intriguing of all--how they stack together. A number of people explain their trifecta strategies and/or their 'two player' strategies in order to maximize returns. Some of these people generate incredible returns this way--it is eye opening.

I think I'm just gonna start with one catch-all travel card for right now. Most people feel the top two contenders for single best overall travel rewards card are the Chase Sapphire Reserve and the CapOne Venture X. Which one is better depends on where and how you intend to use it. Myself, I am leaning toward the Venture X (and will probably apply for it later today, actually).

Whatever you decide on, make sure you look around for a good sign-up bonus. I can't stress that enough.

For the two cards I mentioned, the CSR currently offers a 60,000 mile sign-up bonus and the Venture X offers 75,000 miles.

N-Smooth

For the two cards I mentioned, the CSR currently offers a 60,000 mile sign-up bonus and the Venture X offers 75,000 miles.
I checked the sites I use to watch SUB's and I don't see better offers than that for those cards so you're set. Chase cards definitely work best when you have multiple, like you said.

I'm not sure which I'd pick if I hadn't already chugged the AMEX kool-aid.

TurboMinivan

Still plays with cars
One of my Venture X co-workers offered to send me a referral link--apparently he can** get a bonus perk if I use his link to apply. I had him send it to me, I applied, and was instantly approved. They say I'll receive my card in the mail in 3 days. I guess I'm part of the travel rewards club now.

**: since I already had a CapOne account, he's not certain if he will actually get any referral benefit. We'll see.

Last edited: