Lift shakle confusion

P

pokeyYJ

O.K. this is one of those things that you thought you knew until somebody else told you different, and now you dount yourself.

When you put lift shakles on you lose approach and departure angles right?

This guy that I was talking to today was absolutly positive that you didn't affect your angles with lift shakles. He said that the spring stays in the same spot and the frame was the part being lifted.

Is this guy up in the night, or was I wrong?

Shawn

Just Hanging Out
Yes and no,

Yes the springs do stay in the same place and the shackle does push the frame up. But it is minor, Adding shackles that are 4" longer only gains you 2" of lift.
With that said,

No, (kinda) it does not effcect your aproch and depart because it never changed.
When you add longer shackles it Apears that they hange way down because they are so long.

Does this make sence?

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
It also depends on the vehicle, if the front approach angle is hindered by the shackle then a taller shackle wont help. But if the front approach angle is lmited due to a bumper/winch/etc, then raising it up will help out the approach angle slightly...

Same goes for the rear.

bobdog

4x4 Addict!
Longer shackles definatly hurt your apraoach and departure angles. Think about it. A shackle that is two inches longer will only raise the frame one inch but hangs down two additional inches so you have an inch less clearance at the shackles. I ran lift shackles ten years ago and they would get a real good bashing every time I went to Moab. If you need more tire clearance do a one inch body lift, cut or buy some different springs.

BlackSheep

baaaaaaaaaad to the bone
Supporting Member
Originally posted by bobdog
Longer shackles definatly hurt your apraoach and departure angles. Think about it. A shackle that is two inches longer will only raise the frame one inch but hangs down two additional inches so you have an inch less clearance at the shackles.

Bobdog,
I've got to agree with the other guys on this. If you don't change your springs, the spring pivot will stay in the same place as before (relative to the ground), unless you have added significantly to the weight of your vehicle. That said, if the spring pivot was the limit of approach, it will still be your limit of approach.

I ran lift shackles ten years ago and they would get a real good bashing every time I went to Moab.

It is possible that you changed the part of the vehicle that was limiting your approach. Perhaps it was the bumper before the shackles, but the shackles changed the limit to the springs.

If you need more tire clearance do a one inch body lift, cut or buy some different springs.

If you want more lift, go with the new springs. If, after the lift, you still need more body clearance, go with the 1" (no more) body lift, or get out the sawzall!!

bobdog

4x4 Addict!
The spring pivot is at the other end of the spring and does not move. The angle of the spring changes making the front eye lower to the ground in relation to the axle tube and the other eye. I will say it again if a shackle is two inches longer and only gives one inch of lift you have lost an inch of clearance at the shackle.

BlackSheep

baaaaaaaaaad to the bone
Supporting Member
The spring pivot is at the other end of the spring and does not move. The angle of the spring changes making the front eye lower to the ground in relation to the axle tube and the other eye. I will say it again if a shackle is two inches longer and only gives one inch of lift you have lost an inch of clearance at the shackle.

Bobdog,
I see what you're saying now. If the shackle is placed on the front of the spring (on the front of the vehicle), the rear pivot of that spring does not change. Therefore, the relative angle of the frame to the two spring ends changes resulting in a slight rotation of the axle/spring combination. With this slight rotation, the front eye of the spring will be lower relative to the ground or axle centerline.
The amount of rotation will be dependent on the length of the extension as will the amount of forward spring eye height change.
I retract my earlier statement

grinch

inner city redneck
Long shackles to lift= gay.
longer shackles to help improve articulation might not be so bad. There is a yota in the UROC comp that runs a spring under dana 60 up front with a long shackle mounted to the top of the frame, instead of the bottom. From what ive seen it has seemed to net him a little more droop out of the springs due to the fact that the longer shackle drops more when the spring flexes down.

Last edited:

muleskinner

I absolutely hate long shackles BUT they do give you more travell.
Approach angle is different if your shackles are in the front or the rear of the front spring. My shackles are 1'' longer than stock at the rear of my front spring. Does that give me a worse approach angle? I think not. If anything its better. (and I'm not a "rainbow" jeep driver)....:D is your frame going up- or your spring going down?.....

Last edited: