Line/hose options for onboard air?

H-K

INFIDEL
Supporting Member
Hi all. I'm planning out an onboard air setup with a tank under the bed, ARB dual compressor under hood, and lines running to a bulkhead/quick-coupler at the front and rear bumpers. I'm wondering what the best type of tubing, hose, fitting standard I should use. It would be nice to just use NPT pipe fittings with some kind of durable flexible shop hose, but I'm guessing that's not going to be durable/rugged enough and there's gotta be a better way. I'm currently looking at the types of 'plastic' lines/fittings used on semi truck air brake systems, probably 3/8 i.d. (is this what is used on air lockers??)

I also see there are NPT-to-AN adapters that I could use with stainless brake line, but I'm just brainstorming on this one and maybe there's already a better hard-line solution suited to pneumatic applications.

Please let me know if you have any recommendations on this stuff. Thanks!

zmotorsports

Hardcore Gearhead
Vendor
When I had my onboard air system I used exactly what you are thinking of doing, 3/8" OTR nylon air brake lines with PTC (Push To Connect) fittings. Air tank was underneath the Jeep with bulkhead connectors at front and rear bumpers. The system worked well for the several years I had it installed. Just be certain to keep anything nylon or plastic well away from exhaust systems.

Also if you are running skids I would avoid it as they have a tendency to turn those cavities into ovens. Worst case you could heat wrap your exhaust but just be aware.

Mike

Reactions: H-K

H-K

INFIDEL
Supporting Member
When I had my onboard air system I used exactly what you are thinking of doing, 3/8" OTR nylon air brake lines with PTC (Push To Connect) fittings. Air tank was underneath the Jeep with bulkhead connectors at front and rear bumpers. The system worked well for the several years I had it installed. Just be certain to keep anything nylon or plastic well away from exhaust systems.

Also if you are running skids I would avoid it as they have a tendency to turn those cavities into ovens. Worst case you could heat wrap your exhaust but just be aware.

Mike
Good tips. I will keep hot items in mind and probably also route lines outside of the skid-covered areas. Where did you source your lines and fittings? Locally or online?

zmotorsports

Hardcore Gearhead
Vendor
Good tips. I will keep hot items in mind and probably also route lines outside of the skid-covered areas. Where did you source your lines and fittings? Locally or online?

Air line and PTC fittings I purchased from Six-States Distributors. They carry a lot of heavy truck parts. I believe NAPA also carries quite a selection of them, at least the one on 12th street in Ogden, I can't speak for all of them.

Mike

H-K

INFIDEL
Supporting Member
Air line and PTC fittings I purchased from Six-States Distributors. They carry a lot of heavy truck parts. I believe NAPA also carries quite a selection of them, at least the one on 12th street in Ogden, I can't speak for all of them.

Mike
Great, thanks. I'll buy local at Six States. Those PTC connectors seem too easy to be good. haha. Did they ever leak?

zmotorsports

Hardcore Gearhead
Vendor
Great, thanks. I'll buy local at Six States. Those PTC connectors seem too easy to be good. haha. Did they ever leak?

They actually hold up well. They are DOT approved on OTR brake lines but I've found they work best on new nylon brake line. IF the line is older or worse, covered with paint and/or undercoating the PTC connectors don't seem to seal as well and therefore I prefer to use the brass compression style.

I had one leaking on an air line to a solenoid on my coach a few years ago and merely trimmed it back and reinserted it into the PTC connector. It held for a while but last year I noticed a slight leak again as I would lose air pressure in a couple of days sitting. Upon investigation found that same fitting leaking so I just replaced it with a brass compression fitting and leak solved.

Mike

1969honda

Supporting Member
Use the commercial OTR stuff as mentioned, you can find replacement parts at any napa, easy to fix, light weight and fairly durable. The push connections are used all over tractor trailers for fan hub connections, air brakes, shifters, seat suspension, etc. They'll work great for your purpose, might even try threading is through the frame rails if possible for protection and out of sight.

Interesting note, International and a few others uses the same plastic air line for diesel fuel.

H-K

INFIDEL
Supporting Member
Use the commercial OTR stuff as mentioned, you can find replacement parts at any napa, easy to fix, light weight and fairly durable. The push connections are used all over tractor trailers for fan hub connections, air brakes, shifters, seat suspension, etc. They'll work great for your purpose, might even try threading is through the frame rails if possible for protection and out of sight.

Interesting note, International and a few others uses the same plastic air line for diesel fuel.
Thanks everybody. I'll follow your advice and go that route. That's interesting that it's used for diesel fuel. I think I will run parts of it through heater hose to protect it from abrasion/cuts.

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
ARB offers relatively inexpensive braided stainless lines in various lengths and fittings, elbows, manifold, couplers and mounts to compliment their compressors particularly the twin. We stock them all at Cruiser Outfitters as an offering for installing the compressors we sell.