Link location?? what to do

crapmanche4l

...no more! Call me Murphey
I ve got a 98 xj with the long arm tera 6" kit. I hate that the upper arms stay in the stock location. So I'm getting ready to swap my 60's into it but due to finances am keeping the stock arms for the time being. So I am wondering where the best place to relocate the upper to is? Here are some crappy phone pictures of ideas I have And no I'm not useing the tabs on the arm they where just for imagining. It is mostly street driven right now, but will be a crawler in the next few years and only wanted to the axles once thuss the reason for the 60's.Positive critisism appreciated. Thanks

( first pic is stock location, second mount it where the stock lower location was, and third tie it into the lower long arm like a radius)

Attachments

• phone pics2 031.jpg
    phone pics2 031.jpg
    24.7 KB · Views: 36
  • phone pics2 032.jpg
    phone pics2 032.jpg
    24.2 KB · Views: 24
  • phone pics2 033.jpg
    phone pics2 033.jpg
    25.8 KB · Views: 28
Last edited:

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
The easiest way would be to put the tabs on the lower arms and make them into radius arms. Just flip the lowers around so the rubber bushing is at the axle end instead of the chassis side, and you're good to go.

Tacoma

Et incurventur ante non
probably. you should beef up the frame mount and add unibody stiffeners if you go the radius arm route or use your XJ offroad at all

Fixed it. :D

I like the radius arm idea.

I would think some trackbar-mount beefing would be prudent there as well???

Badger

I am the Brute squad
With adding 60's the mounting location or how to mount the arms is the least of his worries.You better start following RockMonkeys latest build.You will won't to plate all of the frame or those 60's will rip the Xj in two.everything will need to be beefied up including those silly Teracrap arms.The attachment points for the lowers will not hold up to that weight either.Teraflex poorly designed that kit from the beginning and it barely holds itself together with the 30 under it.You are looking at redoing the front suspension completely.

If you want to stick with separated arms then you are best off doing a 3 link with the third upper jammed in between the frame rail and t-case.

Here is one picture.Its hard to see but the upper is right next to the driveshaft.
main.php

main.php

Here is another out of the vehicle

main.php

Same one in the vehicle
main.php

Or be like everybody else and do a radius arm setup.

crapmanche4l

...no more! Call me Murphey
All good info. I like the three link idea. The Idea I am doing is a temporary set up till It becomes more of a toy than a DD. All the usual beffing will be done and is planned, I just need to get the axles in so that my wife can have the garage back, and my chyrsler rear end sounds like its ready to explode. Any measurements or more pics of that set up badger?

Badger

I am the Brute squad
Oh don't give me that Greg.They are so under engineered and you can't tell me they aren't.They have a horrible mount as far as I see it.They do nothing but throw your front geometry out the door with a steep upper arm and a mid length lower lower.How they get away calling that a complete long arm kit is beyond me.

attachment.php

So you see that as an exceptable upper control arm angle?

If he is going through the trouble to toss a 60 under the front of this then he might as well make some real suspension that can handle the load and weight that comes with the axle.Now don't get me wrong I'm not saying some of their stuff is good.I usually recommend some of their link ends.I like their large rubber bushing joint for the frame end.

004115202%20Modullar%20Rubber%20RH.jpg

I used to run those on the frame side of my radius arms.They work great and take a factory control arm bushing,can't beat that for cheap replacement that can or should be found at any good auto parts store if needed.

I just can't endorse that want to be long are kit for the Xj's

Badger

I am the Brute squad
No I don't have any real information on that set up.I know several people run a set up like that over at NAXJA.org.I would go there post the pictures and ask if people have a similar set up.I'm sure you'll get a few people to answer you.

Here is a post that will give you a good deal of info on one such seat up.

47b5d835b3127cce9854830ab12500000017108IbtGzVo3ba

47b5d835b3127cce9854830b301400000017108IbtGzVo3ba

here is another from a user "Crash"
picture.JPG

Crash said:
'm using the middle hole here.

Arm length is right at 40". Vert seperation at the axle is 8", at the member, 6".

Jes uses 34" long arms and he is 8" at the axler and 7" at the member.

Kind of makes sense, since the links are converging, that mine are closer together at the frame. They both seem to act very much the same on climbs. Very neutral.

Here is the thread with most of that info

Badger

I am the Brute squad
Don't forget that this kind of a concept could also be swung to a 4 link with a second upper mount on the passenger side.Though if you did that I would try more for a true parallel 4 link with the same separation at the frame and axle.This would be more like the factory setup just with longer arms.

I'm not going to lie its a tight fit to get that to work.But it can be done.Some of the guys that have done them had to create access holes with screw down patches to get to the driveshaft bolts or the arms mounting bolt.

BDS just carrying just suck a crossmember.Its hard to see in this picture but it has all 4 link mounts on it.
jk_478H.jpg

2006-09-17_bds_xj_lift_kit.jpg

Last edited:

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
Oh don't give me that Greg.....

I said nothing about the XJ kit, did I? I agree the short upper and long lower doesn't work well together. I had one, it worked good offroad, but did have issues with nose dive under braking. The TeraFlex arms are plenty strong.

If you'd actually LOOK you'd see that I responded about the arms, which you apparently haven't ever held/looked at before. You made the comment about beefing up the 'Teracrap arms', remember? The arms are more than beefy, I have no problem with the idea of running them with my V8 and 40's. IIRC, the tubing for the control arms is .280 wall DOM, very appropriate material for a control arm. I know some people have issues with the rubber ends, but they seem to work well.

Next time, slow down and think before you get your panties in a wad. :rolleyes:

Attachments

• GEDC0073 (Medium).JPG
    GEDC0073 (Medium).JPG
    47.8 KB · Views: 4
  • GEDC0075 (Medium).JPG
    GEDC0075 (Medium).JPG
    53.4 KB · Views: 4