? Link Suspension

tweakeyjeep

Soccer Mom
I have no idea about anything with coils or coilovers...

But I've heard the common name of 3 link and 4 link suspensions... What does that mean? Does it apply to just coils.

Since I've got leaf springs all around do I have a certain amount of links? Would it be a 2 link? How many other options can there be, and what works best for flex and rockcrawling.

What would be best for a combination of daily driver/rockcrawling?

Thanks!

95jeepgrndchke

It refers to the control arms and how many links there is. I know that 4 link is the best for most vehicles 2 top and 2 bottom Like on TJ's, ZJ's and WJ's

If you want to get crazy TJ and XJ are really 5 links. uppers arms Lower arms and then the trackbar. Broncos are considered 2 links (also have an unmentioned trackbar) As far as what is best your on your own. Look at how diffrent companys approach it. RE uses just two lower arms and a trackbar on the front and calls it a 3 link although all the arms are there just not coneected to the body. Leaf springs dont really have a link system casue the leafs hold the axle in place. Leafs are a hell of a lot simpler but you can only flex a leaf in so many ways untill it binds up.

tweakeyjeep

Soccer Mom
Hey so now it makes sense... Thanks.

So since my bro has an XJ with a Coil Conversion would that make him have a 5 link up front (long arms, 2 upper control arms, and a track bar). And in the rear he has short arms and a trackbar, so a 3 link...