linux ?

Caleb

Spork said:
Hope you're ready to explain how to use vi next supergper... ;) :rofl:

The file is owned by root. So if you're going to change it from a GUI then you will need to log in as root to do it.

If you feel brave I can explain how to do it via a terminal... :eek:

meh :-\ if he wants to know how to do it via vi then he can google the commands :D I'd suggest for a first timer using nano (if its included with that distro)...its pretty error proof as long as you type correctly :p

to help you out a little wayne, this would be the command you'd need on the terminal su - nano /etc/X11/xorg.conf (assuming this is the path to your conf file)...it will then ask for YOUR password, then you make the changes save it (commands are at the bottom of the screen when in nano) then either reboot or press crtl+alt+bkspce to restart

I'd personally run a mainstream distro like Fedora or Ubuntu. ;)

waynehartwig

www.jeeperman.com
Spork said:
The file is owned by root. So if you're going to change it from a GUI then you will need to log in as root to do it.
That's what I figured, and I thought I did that but apparently not. How do you log in as root? Maybe I'm not doing it right.... I had to enter my root password.

Wayne, what happened to your win2k3 plan? Linux is awesome for many tasks, but time consuming to master (as this one problem has already demonstrated).

waynehartwig

www.jeeperman.com
Supergper said:
to help you out a little wayne, this would be the command you'd need on the terminal su - nano /etc/X11/xorg.conf (assuming this is the path to your conf file)...it will then ask for YOUR password, then you make the changes save it (commands are at the bottom of the screen when in nano) then either reboot or press crtl+alt+bkspce to restart

I'd personally run a mainstream distro like Fedora or Ubuntu. ;)
I tried it and it said that the nano user doesn't exist.

Right now I'm using RHE (whitebox, same thing) becuase those distributions are only supported for 6 months or so. RHE is supported for 8? years after it's release.

waynehartwig

www.jeeperman.com
scoutabout said:
Wayne, what happened to your win2k3 plan? Linux is awesome for many tasks, but time consuming to master (as this one problem has already demonstrated).
I was told 'how easy linux is' so I figured I'd give it a go....

What has me going is this isn't even a 'problem' and I can't get it resolved - more of a configuration step if you ask me.

But I'm open minded... I don't really have the time to setup a server right now, so dabling with 'nix is ok. When I have the time to really get into it, then I'll make a judgement call. I'm hoping that while dabling, I can get it up and going.

Spork

Tin Foil Hat Equipped
waynehartwig said:
I tried it and it said that the nano user doesn't exist.

Right now I'm using RHE (whitebox, same thing) becuase those distributions are only supported for 6 months or so. RHE is supported for 8? years after it's release.

it's because the command isn't right... I've never used nano but I would expect you would have to do something like:
su - root -c "nano /etc/X11/xorg.conf"

basically after su - it's looking for a username, su - by itself will make you root on that terminal.

waynehartwig said:
I was told 'how easy linux is' so I figured I'd give it a go....

What has me going is this isn't even a 'problem' and I can't get it resolved - more of a configuration step if you ask me.

Yeah, and you'll run into little problems/quirks like this quite often. The more you fix them, the quicker you'll get at fixing them. Still it's time consuming. It just depends on how much free time you have, and whether you'd rather spend the time growing your business or continually tinkering with linux.

If you're going to stick with linux, get this book:

Linux in a Nutshell

I'm not a linux hater, in case anyone might interpret my comments that way. I love it actually. But I'm a "right tool, right job" kinda person.

waynehartwig

www.jeeperman.com
scoutabout said:
I'm not a linux hater, in case anyone might interpret my comments that way. I love it actually. But I'm a "right tool, right job" kinda person.
Me too... And I'm thinking that I'll just use a different mouse (have one dedicated to the server)....

waynehartwig said:
Me too... And I'm thinking that I'll just use a different mouse (have one dedicated to the server)....

My fix for this probelm was to hook up a second mouse straight to the offending box.
(edit: doh, that's what you're saying)

Spork

Tin Foil Hat Equipped
scoutabout said:
Yea I guess if you don't know how to use a welder you might be better off with some duct tape and baling wire... ;) :rofl: :rofl:

Bone Down

not bashing on Wayne by any means, but it seems to me that Wayne is your average pc user and setting up any server is going to have a learning curve unless you have had schooling or more real world experience with either product.

So wayne cudos to you for trying either one.

mowlasley

I'm not familiar with White Box, but why don't you try:

sudo nano filename

When it asks for a password, enter your user's password. This should let you edit the file. I have never used nano, though. I am a vim man.

Spork

Tin Foil Hat Equipped
mowlasley said:
I'm not familiar with White Box, but why don't you try:

sudo nano filename

When it asks for a password, enter your user's password. This should let you edit the file. I have never used nano, though. I am a vim man.
I would be willing to bet that sudo isn't set up...

waynehartwig

www.jeeperman.com
Bone Down said:
not bashing on Wayne by any means, but it seems to me that Wayne is your average pc user and setting up any server is going to have a learning curve unless you have had schooling or more real world experience with either product.

So wayne cudos to you for trying either one.
I know hardware, not software. I used to support software back in the MSDOS, 3.x and NT days. What was that, 15 years ago?

kobyhud

Lurker
Wayne you should be able to use a mainstream text editor as root for this jobbie.

I do recommend going with a mainstream distro as well. Other distros that will work just fine... Centos, Redhat (costs money), Fedora, or Debian is fine as well.

To get a root text editor:
Open terminal (konsole, xterm, whatever).
What you want to do is "su -p " it will prompt you for the root password you set... to change to the root user.
prompt should now look something like root@localhost>

I am assuming that you have kate installed. So just type in "kate". Voila... root access with a GUI text editor.

You are welcome to call me whenever you are at your puter working with it assuming we are talking between the hours of like 11pm-8am. :) You should also learn about the "sudo" command that was mentioned before. I have spare DVDs of mandriva 2006 (which is my choice... its a little less conventional though) lying around as well.

Caleb

:rofl: this is almost comical :p

so, the two things we have established in this thread are A) There's LOTS of ways to get sudo ;) and B) Everyone has their choice of Text Editors (if you want to try other some off the top of my head are vi, vim, nano, joe, emacs, and kate...vi is probably the only one you'll find on just about every distro but it is also the most difficult to use, but I'd say it's also the most usefull once you learn it as well, next to vim :) ).

Bone Down

Supergper said:
:rofl: this is almost comical :p

so, the two things we have established in this thread are A) There's LOTS of ways to get sudo ;) and B) Everyone has their choice of Text Editors (if you want to try other some off the top of my head are vi, vim, nano, joe, emacs, and kate...vi is probably the only one you'll find on just about every distro but it is also the most difficult to use, but I'd say it's also the most usefull once you learn it as well, next to vim :) ).

hehe I just type in sudo gedit <filename>
I remember my days at Linux Networx it seemed to me back then the the terminology was that a white box was merely another way of saying desktop, grey box was a go between on a desktop/server and blackbox was a full blown server only application.

Will this interfer with you progress on setting up the server?

Bone Down

okay a quick look at white box's www does not offer much in terms of a forum for support, and from what I can see in the how to looks like WB utilizes rpm files
so might be safe to say you could use red hat commands to get things working.

I have not used redhat in 5 years so I forget the commands.
I have been using Ubuntu exclusively on my laptop since middle of December and there is an enormous support forum in place for it, but it is debian based and the commands vary slightly...