List of things to do... SAS or Lift?

NoTrax

New Wheels Big Trax
I am pulling my hair out becuase id like to do a SAS, if I do a SAS do I necasarily have to swap out the rear axle?

Important note to consider is that I want to be able to do 65 on the freeway. Is this even a possibility with a SAS?

Would I be better off just throwing on a Calmini 3" Suspension ( with some flex modification of course)

I would like to go 33" Minimum, with 3.5" Body lift and 3" Suspension I think ill be able to accomplish this with little Sawzall action.

I know I need to regear some, and I need to for sure get a rear locker.

Id really LOVE to go 35" but Im thinking that will take a SAS.

can anyone list what Id need for a SAS? Anyone with knowledge who would like to help out in the event I decide to do one?

I know a axle, power steering stuff. driveline modifications.

For 35" my 4 cylinder will be fine its all about gearing and crawling im not a big mudder. I am pushing abour 110 out of it id guess, Throw on a new muffler and headers ill be set With my engine I think.

Any thoughts? I'm thinking I should stay with a 3 inch suspension from calmin, rotate the axle so driveline lines up straighter, remount coils and shock mounts replace shock mounts so I can put longer shocks on, this is something I have seen done a few times on a Sidekick, tracker. let me know what you think

trpl xj

do the SAS if you don't do it know you will wish you had later on down the road. I'm not sure what the trackers are like but mabey a Toyota axle will work for you if the bolt pattern is right and the pumpkin is on the same side. The toys are a 6 on 5.5 lug pattern with a pass. side drop. Or mabey some zuki axles. The toys might be a little wider but if you get the rear to go with it you will be set. Throw in a set of longfields in front axle some 5.29 gears lockers and you could easily run 38's with out breaking anything. the toy guys do it all the time with great sucess. I may have a rear toy axle for sale here in the next few months. I'm currently building full width axles for my toy. I messed around with my toy and did a little lift (3") and some 31's and thought I would be happy with it. But no........I'm now going full width with about 9" of lift and hopefull some 40" MTR's:D

spencurai

Vanilla Gorilla
Don't polish a turd of a front suspension. I know calmini goes through those CV shafts like mad!! Their suspension is just fine but the drivetrain components cannot handle the abuse. Do for the SAS, talk to BB88, he has a bitchen SAS kick with dual cases and toy axles. Dont waste your money on a calmini lift. Do it right the first time.

NoTrax

New Wheels Big Trax
Sounds like sound advice, if he has a kick with a SAS he is my man. If I have someone to copy or at least confer with I know I can get it done in a weekend.

Brandon if you read this, you still have that axle? Whats length from end to end? I need ot measure mine. I might just do a toy axle like previous poster reccomended. I want to be able to wheel it decently, but I want 65 on the freeway.

Originally posted by spencurai
Don't polish a turd of a front suspension. I know calmini goes through those CV shafts like mad!! Their suspension is just fine but the drivetrain components cannot handle the abuse. Do for the SAS, talk to BB88, he has a bitchen SAS kick with dual cases and toy axles. Dont waste your money on a calmini lift. Do it right the first time.

jp008

BB88 is running Yota axles front and rear w/Yota t-case mated to kick case courtesy of OTT. Gears in the diffs are 4.10 at the moment. Roughly 2.1 in both cases. 1.6 8v and kick trans. I think the ultimate set-up for those will be 4.1 in the Yota and 5.29's in the diffs. That set-up will give you about 164.1 crawl ratio:eek: :eek: :eek: :D The leafs are Wrangler/Yota combos. I think Wrangler 6 packs and/or XJ springs will help cure the NASTY axle wrap.

Last edited:

Milner

formerly "rckcrlr"
The Sami axle's B was asking if anyone wanted are mine, He was going to grab them and bring them to the swap for me. Since I was stuck in the hospital all weekend.
I do still have them!!
REALLY REALLY cheap, buy the frt and you get the rear for FREE!!
Catch is you have to come get them from my moms house.
PM me with a ridiculas offer, I'll probably take it.
Marc

NoTrax

New Wheels Big Trax
I think one I was lookin at at breandons was a d30 front from a Wrangler, not sure if Ive seen a Zuk with a jeep axle, I woud like to get ahold of BB88 I emailed him, guess we will wait and see.

Im planning on purchasing a second car that will get me around while im tearing apart my tracker.

And to answer your question about frames, Tracker frame is ideal to eventually make a very small buggy, already mounted with a 1.6 16v Wheelbase almost where you need it. not alot of you appreciate Zuks, cept jp and a few others.

NoTrax

New Wheels Big Trax
Originally posted by Skyetone
not to bge a dick but do you even have a frame under that thing? I thought they were subframed.

It has a real frame. not to bad, wheels at corners almost. Only reason I bought it. 90" WB 107" total length I think is the specs.

bb88

New Title
I loved my sas'd sidekick~~I am in the process of dismantling it for the new project. a '98 4-door sidekick, 102" wheelbase,16 valve motor. I'm sad to see the old one go, but I can't wait for the new one!!