LJ wont stop

rholbrook

I put some 35's on the LJ and now it doesnt want to stop very well. What are my options. I thought I read where you can put some Grand Cherokee brakes on it but have not been successful with the search.

I am going to sell it and want to make sure it will stop. I went to trade it in at LHM Jeep in Bountiful and they low balled me on the bid for it but by the time I left they came up $2K. Its clean but there are some things I want to make sure are done before I get rid of it.

I am going to sell it and get me a new one coming.

LJ Jeep.jpg
http://i1088.photobucket.com/albums/i328/rholbrook22/pineview.jpg

RockChucker

how much are you looking to get for it? I have a buddy that is looking to get one. Depending on what you want, he maybe interested. Shoot me a pm with your pricing.

as to the brakes, how bad is it not stopping? I honestly didn't notice a huge difference between my 33's and 35's. But my Jeep never had anything smaller than 32's since I have owned it. Is your pedal soft? Lines bled well? My cousin built a hyrdoboost setup for his that seems to work well. I think he used GM parts, but I'm not 100% sure. Seems like it wasn't super expensive either. I can get more info on it for you if you would like. Good luck.

tjeeper

Why are you concerned about it if you are selling it? Did the dealer have an issue with them?

There are several ways to improve the braking, assuming your brakes are working correctly now. Hydroboost is an option, but it is a lot of work, considering you have to change the steering pump also. If you don't want to source your own parts, Vanco sells a kit but it isn't cheap. The biggest problem I found with hydroboost is you are really hard on your brakes, you will end up bending the knuckles where the calipers ride on. I went through two sets of knuckles before I pulled the stock brakes and went aftermarket.

If you want to make your Jeep stop like a sports car, you can upgrade the fronts to the Vanco brake kit. With the weight of your LJ, and the tires size, they are going to recommend the 16" kit. Awesome kit, you will be able to lock up the fronts with little effort, but not worth it if you are selling the Jeep.

The guy who did one of the first WJ brake swaps is the designer of the Vanco kit. He said he designed the kit because of the amount of work it takes to do the swap. If you are concerned with the steering and suspension geometry, the track bar mount needs to be moved and a new drag link and tie rod need to be fabbed, along with various other cutting and welding. Could be a fun project if you have the skill, I know I don't.

The biggest bang for your buck is to replace the front pads with Black Magic brakes. They will improve the braking on your Jeep, but not as much as a brake kit.

Patrick

sixstringsteve

Why are you concerned about it if you are selling it? Did the dealer have an issue with them?

cuz russ is a standup dude who wouldn't want to sell a rig to someone with known issues.

I also have a friend who may be interested in it.

Jesser04

How bad is it? Have you tried new pads and rotors? You should be able to lock the brakes up on it. IMHO Cams brakes sucked on his we changed the pads and turned the rotors and it was good as new.

rholbrook

Answers to all the questions.

The brakes work, just need to make them feel like they will stop better. I am sure I could lock them up if I tried. Anyone that wants something I have ever owned will know they will get a very well maintained item. I dont believe in selling a POS. This jeep is very clean, inside and out. I wouldnt feel right selling it with issues. You wont find many cleaner LJs around. My son drives it but he is OCD when it comes his Jeep.

Its a 2004 with a 44 in the rear and a 30 in the front. It has a 4" lift with Expedition One front and rear bumpers. Tires have maybe a 1,000 miles on them and I have all 5 of the KM2s. It has Warn 8K lb winch and really nice stereo. As far as a price goes, I don't know yet, still looking into that.

Front.jpgSide.jpg

Jesse, I will stick some new pads and either get some knew rotors or have the existing ones turned first.

good lookin LJ, does it happen to be an auto trans.? I will watch this close, lookin for one just like this in an auto. thanks. If it is an auto I would really like to talk about it. I am in Moab now can give ya my cell # if it is.

Last edited:

DAA

Russ, if you end up wanting to do rotors, I have some factory rotors with low miles on them, look like brand new, yours if you want them.

Unless there is something wrong that can be fixed, I suspect you may find there isn't much you can do about the brakes though. The whole system is simply not really up to the task of stopping 35's very well, even when in perfect working condition. I put new Centric premium rotors and EBC yellow stuff pads on mine when I went to 35's (which is why I have almost new factory rotors on the shelf). It made a noticeable difference - I can lock up the fronts in certain situations ast least. But, it still doesn't really stop worth a darn compared to when it had smaller tires and nothing short of more swept area via bigger rotors and calipers is really going to make it any better.

I almost forgot one thing you can and should check though - make sure the front caliper pins (bolts) are smooth and haven't got divots worn in them. I have seen several instances of slop in the system allowing for divots to wear in the pins over time, which will DEFINITELY reduce performance. Worth a look at least.

- DAA

rholbrook

Updates

Dave, my LJ only hopes to be as cool as yours. For those of you that have not seen his LJ in person, you need to add it to your list of must sees. It is the little stuff that makes his LJ the coolest I have seen. Is it the AEV high fender kit? Is it the OBA with all the air fittings front and rear? The bigger gas tank? Is it the brakes.....I can go on and on. It is very well thought out. Its the second coolest LJ I have seen. The coolest is the Spider LJ build found here. http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/spider-lj-1111582/

Thanks for the offer on the rotors. I dropped some coin yesterday on the brakes yesterday to help it. I never bought EBC pads but I did spend about $80 per set on some nice ones. My BIL is has a shop in Bountiful and these were the ones he suggested. Rotors, I am waiting for the new ones to come in. I think there were Bosch if I remember right. I will see if that helps.

The rear main was leaking so I got that fixed this week. The brakes will be replaced probably tomorrow.

I have been looking around to see what LJs are going for and it looks like plain 2004 LJs average $14K.

Based on that, I was thinking $17K for mine. Maybe I'm up in the night but thats what I would have to have. I have new KM2s, Expedition Bumpers all-around, 4" short arm lift, Warn winch, really nice stereo, PIAA lights, Husky Liners, Automatic, air, cruise, 4 wheel disk brakes, D44 rear with TrackLok, D30 front. It has 97K miles and is very clean. Its been to HITR once and on Milts Mile once. Thats the extent of its off-road trips. You can look at the belly pan and tank skid plate to verify. Worth coming to look at and drive.

I have priced gears, shafts and airlockers so unless someone talks me out of it, thats what is next.

irish1371

after you do the new rotors, if your still not happy with the stopping power then order the EBC yellow pads. I have a 2006 LJ and they make alot of difference without being too touchy/grabby

tjeeper

after you do the new rotors, if your still not happy with the stopping power then order the EBC yellow pads. I have a 2006 LJ and they make alot of difference without being too touchy/grabby

I have had the EBC Yellow pads on my TJ and the Black Magic ones I suggested (which I am running now) stop better. They are also a bit cheaper.

irish1371

hum the yellows do wear fast. I will have to give them a try next.

Is black magic the name of the pad/company? I'll give em a goooooggle

pkrfctr

by far the one of the best, simple, and probably cheapest things you can do to increase your braking power is swap out your brake master cylinder for one out of a '96-'98 ZJ. very simple (I think its only 3 bolts), straight forward swap but huge improvement! I have have run this set up in both my rubicons since 2003. works great. junk yard usually has them or last one I bought was $100 at the dealer.