Lock rite locker Dana 30

rockkrawler01

I have a lock rite locker in my xj in the front on the Dana 30. Sometimes I can be driving down the road and the locker will just kick in. It makes it hard to turn. Is it my actuator that is bad? Do I need to get a posi lock? I dont want to lose the locker. But this seems to be getting worse.

jeep-N-montero

Formerly black_ZJ
What do you mean by "actuator"? Sometimes when a lunchbox locker acts up, it is a matter of installing a new spring and pin kit that cost less than $20. Take it out and inspect it.

rockkrawler01

The 4x4 actuator? Isn't that what turns the 4 wheel drive on? It's like it's Engaging the four wheel drive and thats what makes it hard to turn

OrvisKrawler

Captain Obvious
uh wow, you dont have a 4x4 actuator, its mechanical linkage from the shifter to the tcase, its hard to turn because both front tires are trying to turn the same in the front cause the locker is locked, just because its hard to turn with the locker locked doesnt mean its in 4wd

rockkrawler01

uh wow, you dont have a 4x4 actuator, its mechanical linkage from the shifter to the tcase, its hard to turn because both front tires are trying to turn the same in the front cause the locker is locked, just because its hard to turn with the locker locked doesnt mean its in 4wd

Uh WOW. well I am coming here to ask questions. I havent had this issue on previous vehicles. so its new to me, so I am coming here asking questions, I thought it was an actuator in the fron axle, that the vacuum lines hook to down there. But I was wrong. So what do I need to do try and fix this?

plaidfro

The Jeep's Dana 30 that his looks to have will have a disconnect on the passenger side of the axle. So the Locker you have in there is a full time locker, but basically won't be locking up the front tires full time until the front axle is engaged into 4WD coupling the passenger side axle. A common issue in that Dana 30 is for the vacuum lines to crack and break or the vacuum switch on top of the Transfercase to be shot. Either way it can cause the 4WD to not engage as there would be not enough vacuum pressure to pull the shift fork in the disconnect housing to couple the axle (obviously not an issue if you are feeling the locker engaged) or there is a vacuum issue not allowing the 4WD to release, commonly found with a bad vacuum switch on the T-Case.

Now if you have a solid passenger axle from a TJ in your Dana 30 then your Locker will be a full time locker, but should have the ability to 'slip' when turning. That is where the spring and pin kit come in if you are experiencing turning issues.

Let others chime in and verify what I stated in case they feel I am way off. I spent a fun afternoon troubleshooting my dana 30 disconnect house mystery and learned a lot about it in the process.

rockkrawler01

Yes I have a vacuum disconnect front axle. Didn't know the term for it. I have heard if I get a posi lock that could help. What plaidfro expressed is the same issue I'm having

jeep-N-montero

Formerly black_ZJ
Your vacuum disconnect has no real direct impact on the locker itself, the vacuum line only engages or disengages the 4wd. Best bet is to pick up a newer non-disconnect hp30 from the salvage yard and swap the locker over.

plaidfro

Yes I have a vacuum disconnect front axle. Didn't know the term for it. I have heard if I get a posi lock that could help. What plaidfro expressed is the same issue I'm having

two nice options to eliminate the vacuum junk is:
1. posi-lok.. .there are kits out there.. BUT there are quite a few writeups on Jeep Forum and on Pirate4x4 I have seen where you can get all the pieces yourself and build it all for under $50. The already put together kit is around $180 I believe, just google dana 30 posi-lok. This way you can still have the disconnect which will keep your front driveshaft from spinning when in 2HI

2. Pull a solid axle shaft out of a TJ. You will have to replace the axles seals on the passenger side in the differntial since the solid shaft is a bit narrower than the floating shaft. This gets rid of all the vacuum disconnect and you can just block the disconnect housing off. There is a $50 kit from Yukon that gives you both seals for the driver and passenger side, and a plate to block off the housing. Having the solid shaft will spin your front driveshaft in 2HI full time so you would need to make sure its balanced or you will experience some vibes.

pELYgroso

'Merica
solution:
solid (might as well go Chromo) shafts
vacuum block-off kit
new spartan locker

-or you might just try the $20 spring kit. Let me know and I can have one at your door in a few days!

gtxracer

Mine was slipping and clicking when in 4wd. I have a vacuum disconnect axle from an XJ in the front of my TJ with a lock right and replaced the springs and pins. Solved the issue and everything went back to normal.

As for the block off plate and 1 piece shafts, get a SealsIt seal and call it a day. Super easy to install, just need some silicone and you can do it at the same time as the pin and spring replacement.