Lock-rite or detroit?

slamurai

MY PRECIOUS
I am trying to decide between the lock rite locker or the detroit for the rear of my toyota pickup. I currently have a welded rear and don't like watching my new BFG's scrub. Is the detroit really worth twice the price? I had a lockrite in my sami and it acted squirely after about a year, do they wear out, or need to be adjusted? My truck is mostly for off-road and I plan on getting a trailer or just flat towing, so daily driving isn't an issue. What are everyone's thoughts?

Milner

formerly "rckcrlr"
I am trying to decide between the lock rite locker or the detroit for the rear of my toyota pickup. I currently have a welded rear and don't like watching my new BFG's scrub. Is the detroit really worth twice the price? I had a lockrite in my sami and it acted squirely after about a year, do they wear out, or need to be adjusted? My truck is mostly for off-road and I plan on getting a trailer or just flat towing, so daily driving isn't an issue. What are everyone's thoughts?

Detroits are stronger, more reliable, and more predictable driving characteristics....I have drien many of both, I will always choose Detroit when it is available.
JMHO;)

Taco4life

If your planning on towing it I must ask why you haven't considered just welding it? But as far as the lockers go are you planning on the full Detroit or the True Trac? I would go with an Aussie locker before a lockrite I have heard they are cheap and wear out like you said. In my opinion where money allows Detroit is the obvious choice.

slamurai

MY PRECIOUS
It is welded right now, but I don't like wearing the tires down so fast. It's also a little difficult turning on hard surfaces like slickrock.

solidfrontaxle

Toyota jihad
IMO, detroits aren't worth the price for a Toyota. Toyota carriers aren't weak so there is no point in replacing them with a unit that does not unlock smoothly and has a reputation for breaking axles. Aussie lockers are cheap like lockrights, but are quite a bit better around corners and are super quiet. I've got two trucks with an Aussie in the rear and they're really good on tires, and unless you give it the gun around corners, you'd never know it was back there.

jdub

Scrambler
I have detroit truetracks in my scrambler and have had no issues and no noise at all. Never have had a slippage problem. I've driven other lockers that are loud and inconsistant.