Locker choices

voodoo

I am wondering if anyone has any opinions on the best choice for lockers for my '85 toy truck. It is going to pretty much be a wheeling only rig so I have been thinking of a detroit in the front and spooling the rear. Does this sound feasible or would anybody recommend something different?:confused:

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
I heard that Detroits in the front tend to be pretty harsh on Birfs.

When they release, it's with quite a bit of force and has been known to cause damage. I run a LockRite for that reason (And because it was Free.... Thanks Andy!!)

For that reason, I'd say either a ARB, Toyota Elec. or LockRite in the front and spool the rear.

84 4Runner

Restless 'Runner
Originally posted by Greg
I heard that Detroits in the front tend to be pretty harsh on Birfs.

When they release, it's with quite a bit of force and has been known to cause damage. I run a LockRite for that reason (And because it was Free.... Thanks Andy!!)

For that reason, I'd say either a ARB, Toyota Elec. or LockRite in the front and spool the rear.

Agreed. My detroit in the rear tends to unload rather violently at times, and I wouldn't trust putting one in the front. And I definently agree on the spool in the rear if it will mostly be a wheeler.

RockMonkey

Suddenly Enthusiastic
Toyota Electrics at both ends would be ideal. Anything but ARBs...:D I have not been thrilled with my Detroit in the front because it has a tendancy to "hesitate" for a fraction of a second before it engages and starts climbing. That can really kill forward momentum. I have a spool in the back and often wish I could turn it off for turning purposes.

voodoo

I was looking on Marlin crawlers site and I could get the complete third with 4.88's and toy elec. locker for $765. which is cheaper than any of the other complete diff options.

RockMonkey

Suddenly Enthusiastic
I'm the last guy in the world that would be considered an expert on Toys, but I think you have to slightly modify the housing to run the electric locker too. Vonski or Ilean could let you know exactly what you have to do.

theferg

DD for Life
I am currently installing toy e-lockers in my FJ60. Though it is not the same as minis or tacos or runners, I have found a whole bunch of sites for both. Also, the wiring would be the same for me, so I have all these sites book marked. Check them out--some are reading with pics, other's are just pics.

http://67.122.16.97/carterman/4runner/mods/locker/
http://www.yankeetoys.org/black900rr/fj80/wiring.html
http://www.iwolfe.com/rigs/index.php?album=ecu&dispsize=512&start=0
http://www.geocities.com/Baja/Ravine/4494/diffinstall.html
http://molmed.umassmed.edu/~kdb/locker/locker.html
http://home.off-road.com/~kemanuel/elocker/elocker.html
http://members.cox.net/vavp/trdconversion

HTH and for what it's worth, I also would not have anything but a selectable locker in a toy front axle. No need to be stressin' those birfs out ALL the time now is there....

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
Originally posted by voodoo
I was looking on Marlin crawlers site and I could get the complete third with 4.88's and toy elec. locker for $765. which is cheaper than any of the other complete diff options.

For a selectable locker, that's pretty tough to beat and it comes with a drop out third AND gears.........If I were you, I think the VISA would be out while I'm dialing...... You just need to mount and wire a switch.{I think--Toyota expert that I am...:rolleyes: }

I'm not an expert in Toy axles, either, but some guys run them in competition with similar results to built D44's. They take a little money to make work, but they'll last if you build them right. (But then there's always going for 'bulletproof'--D60 :D )

theferg

DD for Life
Oh, but if you don't want to read the sites right now, here's the jist of them:

You have to modify the diff housing a little (the sites have the info on how) and you have to have a control mechanism. The complete third will have a locker actuator attached, but you need an ECU to operate the actuator. These are WAAAAAY too much $$ to buy, so some genious figured out how to make his own and a couple of those sites have complete parts list on what you will need to make your own. Or you could get the cable kits from Downey which convert the locker to cable actuated. They're like $125 each--and since you don't need the locker actuator anymore, you can ebay it and probably make more than what you paid for the downey cable kit... Pretty sweet conversion really. Also, you could possibly find a dealer that will give a 25% discount (TLCA or other club discount) then you can get the complete e-locker for around the same price as from marlin--so the deal is to find the best shipping..I have a contact at a dealer who hasn't charged me a single cent for shipping from new mexico to utah. I bought new from the dealer axle shafts for my full-float rear axle assembly and shipping was all free...bought some diff studs and a gasket and shipping was still free... Anyway, you can get them with 4.10, 4.56 or 4.88 from the dealer as well... You also will need some new gaskets (the e-locker gaskets) and some new diff studs. I think that's it... Check the sites though if this interests ya. Pretty sweet setup though if you ask me... And then you can stick those TRD stickers all over your rig....:D

Last edited:

voodoo

Thanks for information so far, I am leaning more towards the e-locker set-up now that I have compaired a few prices. Feel free to keep your thoughts coming in though.

troutbum

cubi-kill
Originally posted by Shawn
Go detroit and don't look back.

Still not convinced...but I have not put a lot of trail miles on it yet... I loved having a spool in the rear.

we'll see ;)

Given that it is a toy and money does not seem to be an issue, go electric

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
Originally posted by voodoo
Thanks for information so far, I am leaning more towards the e-locker set-up now that I have compaired a few prices. Feel free to keep your thoughts coming in though.

If you want more info about Toy E-Lockers, go talk to Carl and Von @ Rocklogic 4x4. Their shop is on 33rd South in SLC and both of them run Toy axles and High Pinion, E-Locked 3rd's in the front axle. They are the local E-locker gurus.

Carl has a Tube Buggy w/ Toy axles and Von has a '88 Pickup. Von's Truck.

Vonski

nothing to see here...
There is no excuse running an ARB in a Toy 8" axle, period. It wouldn't matter if ya got it cheap or even free... E-locker is the way to go if you need to have a selectable locker. Otherwise, spool it and go. :)

voodoo

Well from what I have read here and found as far as choices I beleive that I will probably go with the e-locker up front and a spool in the rear.

Last edited:

voodoo

Originally posted by Vonski
There is no excuse running an ARB in a Toy 8" axle, period. It wouldn't matter if ya got it cheap or even free... E-locker is the way to go if you need to have a selectable locker. Otherwise, spool it and go. :)

Von, do you mean put spools front and rear or just the rear?:confused: