locker driving....

utahxjer

I'm getting my 4:88's and Powertrax No-Slip up front and LockRight in the rear installed today... I was reading the instructions and you have to drive kinda cautious? Like smooth acceleration around turns, (duh) but anything else?

kirk86CJ

You wont remember you have it driving down the road until you let off on the gas suddenly. With mine, sometimes it changes my direction pretty fast. - Kinda wakes me up.

kirk86CJ

I was actualy going to write that, but then decided not to :) Its not bad. I just have to remember what I am driving. I wouldn't want my wife to drive it without at least warning her so she knew what to expect. I have heard people say that with lockers you need to make sure your tires have the same pressure. I have thought about letting the air out a little more on one side to see if it stops it. - It always goes the same direction.

I also try to accelerate a little slowly on hard right turns.

Don't get me wrong. I like it just fine. I wouldn't pay for a selectable locker just to avoid the "inconvenience" or the need to adjust my driving style a little, but it is not my daily driver either.

spencurai

Vanilla Gorilla
I think driving with a locker is more predictable in adverse weather conditions. It just takes some getting used to, let off the gas going around turns until you are straight if you have an auto, push in the clutch going around turns until you are straight if you have a manual.

when the driveshaft has torque on it, it locks the locker so if you relieve the torque it allows it to ratchet around corners. If you gas it around corners, it will act likc a spool and make your tires bark.

random banging and knocking is normal. make sure you get those tire pressures correct the first time!! and keep up on them weekly.

utahxjer

sheesh! So push in the clutch on every corner? Or just when going faster? It's a manual btw. I'm picking this baby up at 6, so I'll be doing some test driving around WVC on the way home to Pleasant Grove. And how loud are the clunkings, I don't want to think I've got a busted up ring gear or something? I don't think the front will be a problem cause it's the vacuum disconnect axle.

spencurai

Vanilla Gorilla
Originally posted by utahxjer
sheesh! So push in the clutch on every corner? Or just when going faster? It's a manual btw. I'm picking this baby up at 6, so I'll be doing some test driving around WVC on the way home to Pleasant Grove. And how loud are the clunkings, I don't want to think I've got a busted up ring gear or something? I don't think the front will be a problem cause it's the vacuum disconnect axle.

just drive it and find out what works best for you.

Shawn

Just Hanging Out
Originally posted by utahxjer
And how loud are the clunkings, I don't want to think I've got a busted up ring gear or something?

The first time my lockrite cracked I thought I broke the rear end.

Now with the detroit, when it cracks it sounds like I broke both axles!!!

Just get use to the bang... It will wake you up;)

NoTrax

New Wheels Big Trax
Occasioanlly going around corners Mattvw65's Detroit in the rear makes a HELLACIOUS sound. But it drives ok.... just sounds sickening....

mattvw65

Originally posted by Shawn

Now with the detroit, when it cracks it sounds like I broke both axles!!!

Just get use to the bang... It will wake you up;)

:D :D :D thats sooooooo true it has scared the crap out of me !!!:D :D :D

James K

NO, I'm always like this
Only thing to do is drive it. As far as pushing in the clutch on the corners you will learn when to and when not to. It will become second nature. I don't notice mine but every once in awhile. And yeah its loud when it unloads.

utahxjer

Well, I drove it quite a bit this afternoon, and it doesn't seem to be to bad, I heard some clicks etc... Hopefully all will hold together this weekend!:D

84 4Runner

Restless 'Runner
I've driven with both a LockRite and a Detroit. Neither substantially effected using my 4Runner as a daily driver.

The tires bark more on turns and in parking lots, but when the roads are dry I don't really have any problems. As mentioned, there is always that loud BANG when it unloads, but your heart will only stop for a few seconds. :eek: Be careful on wet/icy roads. They can be a little more dangerous. I have a tendency to slide around corners big time and if it's REALLY wet, I will slide sideways when I shift. :eek:

Overall, you'll get used to it. I'd rather deal with the little daily driver issues than not have a locker! :D

SnwMnkys

How come you put the No slip up front and the Lock right in the rear? Wasnt the point of the No slip sort of an upgrade to the lockright to get rid of some of the harshness in daily driven vehicles?

utahxjer

I guess I don't know that much about the No-Slip, I bought it off a guy who had it in his D30, and it was only like $75 so I picked it up, then when it came time for the rear I just went with one of the cheap lockers, will my setup not work properly?