locker issue!!!

chadschoon

ok so heres the situation. my arb dosent seem to work. now here is what is wierd. it will work when i have it engaged and I turn right. It wont work when I go straight or turn left. any Ideas???

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
An ARB not working??? The hell you say!

I'm with Braden... not possible :p

Seriously though, first things first, check line pressure... you can make a pressure tester really easily, or stop by a shop that has one. Though I havn't had much experience, I suppose it "could" be possible that insufficient air supply could allow the actuator gear to slide out under load?? Lift the rear of the rig in the air and verify your results. The design of the air locker is in or out... no in between.

RockMonkey

Suddenly Enthusiastic
Just don't ever go straight or turn left.

So... Things that could possibly go wrong with an ARB:
Locker physical damage. side gear, case facture, etc. If you have a crack in the case or a bad internal seal it could have different stresses on the case under different turning conditions, causing a loss of pressure except when turning right. Long shot, but possible.

Bad seal at the locker.

Broken air fitting. Could be any one of several throughout the system.

Leaking air line. You don't have the air line zip tied to your drag link, do you? That could cause intermittent function with different steering input.

Bad/leaking/shorted out solenoid.

Bad pressure switch. Could cause improper pressure in the locker causing intermittent workage.

Blown fuse.

Electrical wire cut/shorted/disconnected

Bad switch.

Broken/leaking/crappy air compressor.

There's probably more. Start checking out these things. I agree with Kurt, first thing, check air pressure at the diff. Turn the wheel and look for a change. This will at least tell you if it is a problem inside the diff, or somewhere in the system before the locker.

[RANT] This is what I hate about ARBs. So many little things that all have to work perfectly together to make the locker work. Any problem in any one of the parts and your locker stops working. When they work they're good (unless you keep breaking them, like I did), but they spend way too much time not working. [/RANT]

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
...[RANT] This is what I hate about ARBs. So many little things that all have to work perfectly together to make the locker work. Any problem in any one of the parts and your locker stops working. When they work they're good (unless you keep breaking them, like I did), but they spend way too much time not working. [/RANT]

So what do you recommend for those that require a selectable locker?

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
...Bad seal at the locker.

Could be, but I've never seen them work and then not work based on the direction the axle is turned??? The only thing I can even come close imagining is that the carrier bearings have some play, and as the carrier is deflected in one direction or the other the o-rings are not sealing? Install error if so... but I've never heard of it happening.

Broken air fitting. Could be any one of several throughout the system.

You really only have two fittings... on at the solenoid which is nearly failproof, and one at the locker that is nearly failproof if installed correctly. I've never had an issue with either other than improperly setup units, or diffs that have been taken apart alot. I don't think this could really be an issue with the situation Chad is having, but inadequate air supply could happen.

Leaking air line. You don't have the air line zip tied to your drag link, do you? That could cause intermittent function with different steering input.

Good call... look to make sure nothing is moving your airline at the bulkhead on the differential. But when the locker is engaged, how often does your compressor fire? Does it fire after turning side to side?

Bad/leaking/shorted out solenoid.

Happens, but it wouldn't be happening in one direction only? Moisture can kill these.

Bad pressure switch. Could cause improper pressure in the locker causing intermittent workage.

Yup, but I've never seen them give an improper reading... either good or bad. They do fail, usually as result of moisture in the system. Just as with any other compressed air system, you need to bleed the moisture on occassion.

Blown fuse.

Usually resulting in a bad install... or failing compressor, but it wouldn't explain Chads situation.

Electrical wire cut/shorted/disconnected

Usually resulting in a bad install... or failing compressor, but it wouldn't explain Chads situation.

Bad switch.

Havn't run across one of these, but I'm sure it can happen... but it wouldn't explain Chads situation.

Broken/leaking/crappy air compressor.

I don't think this could really be an issue with the situation Chad is having, but inadequate air supply could happen. Wether or not it would allow the engagement gear to slide out of place??? I don't think so but things could be different with the Jeep setup that I have little experience?

Keep on hatin' :D:D

RockMonkey

Suddenly Enthusiastic
To answer your question, I don't think there is a really good selectable locker on the market. Maybe there never will be. :(

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
To answer your question, I don't think there is a really good selectable locker on the market. Maybe there never will be. :(

No love... :p

I stand by my ARB's, I've owned 7 of them now... all flawless, all but one are still running. That one was destroyed by driving on a broken axle shaft (could have been salvaged, but they warrantied it)

Out of all the ones I've sold or installed, I've only had one with an issue... it was just recently and required that I pull the 3rd back out. Turns out there were some small scratches in the sealing surface of the seal housing, most likely from manufacturing or shipping?? New o-rings and a side cap and it was fixed. I'de guess my success rate is 99%+ with them :D

I know you've had your issues with ARB's, but I think your sample size was a bit small... :p

waynehartwig

www.jeeperman.com
nope its good just replaced the bearing

Did it work before you changed the bearing? And which bearing? Carrier or unit bearing?

Which tire is locking up all the time? Driver or passenger? I believe the side with the ring gear (passenger) is the solid side, where the other side uses the spider gears to transfer to the axle. By solid side, I mean it's the side that actually locks into the housing. So at that point you could have bad spiders, x shaft, etc.

Did you drain the diff fluid to see if there is any metal in there?

Take a look at the operation manual's blow up of the locker and you'll see what I'm talkign about.
http://www.arbusa.com/alac/alsp/0-00.pdf

chadschoon

ok so I took the cover off and everything looked good, I test drove it and still doesnt work, I have good line presser as well, I noticed a clanking noise coming from the side that isn't working when its under stress (spider gears?) but only sounds like its coming from the drivers side. I just replaced the axel bearing and everything looked good with that.

Anyone have some sixties they want to get rid off :)

RockMonkey

Suddenly Enthusiastic
What was the line pressure? It's supposed to be around 90 PSI if I remember right. Did you hear and hissing type noises? Sounds like you may have a broken locker. :(

waynehartwig

www.jeeperman.com
ok so I took the cover off and everything looked good, I test drove it and still doesnt work, I have good line presser as well, I noticed a clanking noise coming from the side that isn't working when its under stress (spider gears?) but only sounds like its coming from the drivers side. I just replaced the axel bearing and everything looked good with that.

Anyone have some sixties they want to get rid off :)

What's weird is the fact you have no metal in the oil. At this point the only next thing to do is pull the shafts and the locker. After you get the locker out, you can pull the ring gear and split the case and look inside.

The line pressure should be between 70 and 100 psi, which is what the switch cycles the compressor at.