Locker Lessons

T

Toby

Is anyone aware of information about techniques for wheelin with lockers? I have a decent amount of experience wheelin open (ala Pritchett Canyon), but have never been locked on the trail.

I am hoping there might be some articles on various techniques for running locked on different types of trails - dirt, sand, rocks, red rock, etc.

Thanks in advance.

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
Heres my $.02...

Go everywhere you went before with open diffs... when you can't make it...lock em' up... I guess that only works with selectable lockers...:D

Otherwise just go play around and get the feel of them they will react alot different to tight turns, snow, mud, you name it...just start playin with em':D

2BIGTJ

RUKKASTIXX Motorsports
Toby,
In my opinion everyone should run open diffs for at least 1 year before getting lockers. it makes you a lot better driver because you have to pick lines and drive your jeep. if you learn with out then when you get then you will be 10x the driver then if you started with then. It will take some time to get used to them when your wheeling but you are better off now. but that is just my opinion and you can take it for what it is worth. I dont know if you remember me but I was with you guys the first time that you all ran Rattlesnake with Demon. my name is Jeremey and I drive a black TJ

demon jeep

Banned
The only diffrence you will with your rubicon will be you can turn them on and off as you wish so you can run the trail untill you need them just donnot kick them on when things are spinning. with the front you will knotice that it is hard to turn and is alittle stress full on the joints so is you have to turn on hard ground aleast shut off the front. And for snow drive with them off on the road and locked for the trail other than that have fun

spencurai

Vanilla Gorilla
there is a common misconception about the adversa handling characteristics of lockers. dont worry about it. it is wasy to get used to . just do it!!

in my opinion driving with a full time locker make the vehicle more predictable and easier to control.

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
Originally posted by spencurai
...in my opinion driving with a full time locker make the vehicle more predictable and easier to control.

Even in snow... I agree that with practice and time you can easily overcome the presense of a locker but I don;t think it makes a vehicle more predictable...IMHO...:D

T

Toby

My lockers are selectable, so normal driving won't be a problemy

Let me give an example of why I asked this question ... I was watching some rigs going up Rocker Knocker and noticed they would engage their lockers as they were attempting to climb. If they had to back down, it appeared they would disengage them first. Why would you do this?

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
Originally posted by Toby

Let me give an example of why I asked this question ... I was watching some rigs going up Rocker Knocker and noticed they would engage their lockers as they were attempting to climb. If they had to back down, it appeared they would disengage them first. Why would you do this?

I noticed that too. Everybody with an ARB would dissengage their front locker when they backed down, reposition, then relock 'em. It is just easier to reposition (turn) with the front locker disengaged.

Were we watching the same people? That's kind of funny.

T

Toby

This was over Labor Day. We watched a cool Flatty roll on its side.

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
Originally posted by Toby

Turning can be a PITA when the lockers are engaged, its worse when you have wide, aired down tires and are on slickrock...I keep mine unlocked until I think I will need them or others in front of me are having to use theirs...:D

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
It also saves your u-joints when you deselect them to back up/ re position. BTW, don't forget to turn them on when you need them, it sounds funny, but you'll see.

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
Originally posted by Jeremy

that's just plain anti-American!

No, not really, I'm as american as they get...:D

Shawn said something last weekend that I really appreciated.when we were being teased about our Yota'b by the Jeeps on the Rattle Snake Run...

He said something to the like of "Without Jeeps vs. Toyotas this sport wouldn't be where its at today"...and that is so true.. I think half the reason I built a cruiser is cuz' the next guy had a Jeep...and guys build Broncos to try and spank the Jeeps and Toyotas....so on an so on...

So... a little rivalry is a good thing...:D

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
Speaking of Bronco guys, those suckers are mean! Never seen so much determination or oomf! Too bad they don't pick a better rig to back, they would make great JEEP owners!!;) :D :D (let's bring everyone in on this hijack):cool:

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
Originally posted by Jeremy
Speaking of Bronco guys, those suckers are mean! Never seen so much determination or oomf! Too bad they don't pick a better rig to back, they would make great JEEP owners!!;) :D :D (let's bring everyone in on this hijack):cool:

Nice!:D