Lockers?

skippy

Pretend Fabricator
I had a lockright and it sort extended tire life, since I wasn't using just 1 tire to get the truck moving. I'm interested in trying a Spartan locker this time around. I've been reading reviews between the LockRight, Aussie and Spartan and they all seem to be similar, what makes the Spartan better then the rest?

The pins in the spartan locker are 4 times the size of the competitors..... nuff said

Troop92

Throw an 8" axle under the rear of your Troopy and you too can know the wonder of cheap Toyota mods. I'll have a housing for sale real soon here. :D

Ha ha, pretty sure my wife would kill me if I came home with an axle. We're paying off all debt, and I'm sure she wouldn't see how an axle swap would help that effort. :D So, until then, my limited slip will suffice and I'll continue to pine for the one locker made for a 12-bolt Isuzu axle.

spacecase

Out Crawlin'
i dont mind having mine welded. chirps pulling in and out of parking stalls, and u-turns.. but FREE!

not sure about tire life, havent been running it long enough and dont drive it every day. i wouldnt think it would be a night and day difference on tire wear though.

i'm all about free mods! :)

N-Smooth

Smooth Gang Founding Member
I've had a spool and a mini spool in two different rigs. Spool in an offroad only XJ and mini spool in a DD XJ. It wasn't the worst thing ever but lockers are WAY better, even on the trail. Cheap/free is cool but $250-300 for a locker is money well spent :)

skippy

Pretend Fabricator
Spools BLOW... I dont know how people actually wheel with them. I ran a spool for one trip then came home and put a real locker in it!

bryson

RME Resident Ninja
Supporting Member
I've run spools/welded diffs in several rigs, and I like them more offroad than a locker - quieter and more predictable by far. In a front axle, a locker that will disengage some is nice for steering though.

The street is a little different story - welded diff/spool does munch tires a fair amount faster on pavement, BUT, again, it is more predictable - a locker like a Detroit or any of the lunchbox lockers can (and will) unload unexpectedly and change lanes for you. I don't like that at all.

bryson

RME Resident Ninja
Supporting Member
So would a locker in the back and welded front be a good idea?

Welded front diff makes steering pretty tough unless you get out and unlock a hub every time you need to turn. If you are welding one and locking the other, I'd weld the rear and lock the front.

spacecase

Out Crawlin'
Welded front diff makes steering pretty tough unless you get out and unlock a hub every time you need to turn. If you are welding one and locking the other, I'd weld the rear and lock the front.

this is my ultimate plan, i like the welded rear and dont see how an automatic locker could be any better?! i've been wheelin with a runner that had a spool up front, its like trying to navigate a semi through the trail. go with an automatic or selectable locker in the front end.

just my 2 cents.

in all honesty, the trails that you would be going on out here, you shouldnt need more that one locker. do the front or the rear (all preference)

N-Smooth

Smooth Gang Founding Member
It's not that a locker is better than a spool, it's all preference. For tight turns on the trail you can feather the throttle and the locker will disengage where the spool just drags a tire. I didn't think it was a big deal until I ditched the spool and got a locker and I was really happy.

On the flip side the spool dominates for any type of rallying for sure. It's mpre predictable through the turns and allows intentional drifts much easier.

Tyler, personally I wouldn't lock your frontend at all while it's still ifs. Go for a rear locker, wheel it like crazy and once you've reached the limits with that setup, look into more mods. That's the best way to learn

Kevin B.

Not often wrong. Never quite right.
Tyler, personally I wouldn't lock your frontend at all while it's still ifs. Go for a rear locker, wheel it like crazy and once you've reached the limits with that setup, look into more mods. That's the best way to learn

X eleventythousand

I put my Spartan in before I knew how to drive the truck, and because of that I still don't know how to drive the truck. I say don't lock it at all yet.

dutchman

KI7KSV
I put my Spartan in before I knew how to drive the truck, and because of that I still don't know how to drive the truck. I say don't lock it at all yet.

This. Leaving your rig unlocked will force you to learn to pick lines so you can maintain traction. I'm not here to stop you from locking it, I just think you can benefit from wheeling your unlocked rig as much as you can.

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
So... selectable via Tacoma TRD e-locker. Open diff for saving tires, good road manners, normal winter driving and learning to drive better and then lock it in when needed or in trouble. :cool:

I retrofitted a e-locker in my old 4Runner and it wasn't hard. Loved being able to lock it on the trail when needed, then unlock for the road. Best of both worlds and affordable.

crawler dude12

I think I might stay unlocked for a while... I thought I could afford it... I literally broke the bank buying my tools for school... I just kinda got ahead of myself thinking I could afford it, when today I find out my front pads and rotors really need to be replaced and some wheel bearings as well.

STAG

On my grind
I think I might stay unlocked for a while... I thought I could afford it... I literally broke the bank buying my tools for school... I just kinda got ahead of myself thinking I could afford it, when today I find out my front pads and rotors really need to be replaced and some wheel bearings as well.

Welcome to all of our lives. Unless you are Skippy or N8RB8R