locking hubs Vrs. drive flanges

Goose

aToYoTa-fREak
Its time to upgrade too some 35 spline chomo stubs & HUBS 4 my front 60.
Im debating between, locking hubs & drive flanges.
Obviously the drive flanges are stronger, & are about the same $$$ .
Im thinking that I might want to use the locking hubs. That would make the hubs the weakest link.
If I use drive flanges instead, then I would guess the ARB or the U-joint would be the next point of breakage.

will I regret the weaker locking hubs?

M

muddyjeep

Well I rather break a hub then a joint or a carrier! My .02

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
I like the Summit Machine slugs. He's got an insert that you can use to not spin the axles and keep the dirt/sand out of the hub. They've worked well for me for five years now. They take a while to change, maybe 3-4 times longer than spinning a dial, but they're not bad to work with at all. They also have a small/short profile vs. the lockouts. Depending on your wheel backspacing, that may be a deal maker for you. I've run mine with H1 wheels and the covers do get abused, but I'm SURE I would have been through at least 6-7 sets of lockouts by now. The bulk of trail use has been with H2 wheels. I still hit the drive slug cover, but not quite as often and not nearly as violently.

Breaking a 60 is not impossible, but I've been quit impressed with the abuse mine's taken so far. I wouldn't worry about running the slugs and creating a "weak point" somewhere else.

Goose

aToYoTa-fREak
I like the Summit Machine slugs. He's got an insert that you can use to not spin the axles and keep the dirt/sand out of the hub. They've worked well for me for five years now. They take a while to change, maybe 3-4 times longer than spinning a dial, but they're not bad to work with at all. They also have a small/short profile vs. the lockouts. Depending on your wheel backspacing, that may be a deal maker for you. I've run mine with H1 wheels and the covers do get abused, but I'm SURE I would have been through at least 6-7 sets of lockouts by now. The bulk of trail use has been with H2 wheels. I still hit the drive slug cover, but not quite as often and not nearly as violently.

Breaking a 60 is not impossible, but I've been quit impressed with the abuse mine's taken so far. I wouldn't worry about running the slugs and creating a "weak point" somewhere else.

I keep thinking the same thing.
but then every time I strengthen, or change something. I find something else that I need to modify or be content with fixing here & there.
after linking the front axle, It seems that the shafts & gears ect. take a bit more abuse because there's a lot more traction put to the ground, (no leaf springs to rob the traction)
The last trip out I broke 2 stubs pretty easily :( It just makes me worry about the rest of the axle.

mesha

By endurance we conquer
I have been thinking about this same question for awhile now. I think I would go with hubs if I was seeing any road, but since I don't I will go with drive flanges.

Tacoma

Et incurventur ante non
I'm thinking of flanges for the Blazer, which will be daily-driven again. :D I figure the <5min to pull the covers and slugs is not a big deal, esp. if you're airing up anyway. *shrug. It takes a lot longer to fish shattered hubs out. :(

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
.....The last trip out I broke 2 stubs pretty easily :( It just makes me worry about the rest of the axle.

I've yet to break the 35 spline stuff. The axle joints still look new. Put the slugs in and see what breaks. If you don't drive like a southerner with 800 hp, I'd imagine the 60 will hold up fairly well?

cheepin

I'm thinking of flanges for the Blazer, which will be daily-driven again. :D I figure the <5min to pull the covers and slugs is not a big deal, esp. if you're airing up anyway. *shrug. It takes a lot longer to fish shattered hubs out. :(
I have done this.It sucks.Just keep you hubs.