Locking mechanisms

lewis

Fight Till You Die
I am not sure what these are called, they are used in swing out bumpers. I have seen smaller versions but can't remember where. Anyone know what they are called and where to find them especially smaller ones?
SN852101.jpg

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
Bumping this thread back to the top for a question....

I'm going to order 2 of these for my rear bumper swingouts, one side will secure a 35" spare tire and carrier and the other side will secure a carrier with a few jerry cans.

I'm probably going to buy them thru McMaster Carr link above... my bumper is beefy and the swingouts are being built out of 2" square.

I'm looking at the Style 1, thinking about ordering the 700 lb capacity, that's almost 6" over all length. Is that overkill compared to the 360 lb holding capacity, which is 4" overall length?

Any thoughts or suggestions?

rambrush

I would think stronger is better. Some McMaster Carr latches have a locking setup or non locking. The non locking tend to come loose at the wrong moment.

Greg

Admin
I would think stronger is better. Some McMaster Carr latches have a locking setup or non locking. The non locking tend to come loose at the wrong moment.

I agree with you, I tend to over-build when fabricating, so I'm thinking I'll go ahead with the 700# latch.

I have an idea to keep both swing-outs locked in place, in case one of the latches comes loose. The same idea will keep both swingouts locked in place when opened as well, so it should be a good deal.

Greg

Admin
Alot of them are made by Destaco.
http://www.destaco.com/default.asp?loc=USA&lang=ENG
Sometimes if you can find a distributor near you they are cheaper than McMaster Carr. MSC Industrial also carries these on line as well as Reid Tool.

Yeah, I've thought about looking around locally, but I've been putting this off for months... it's easy to sit at home and pay a little shipping to get them. Speaking of, I already placed my order. :)

lewis

Fight Till You Die
Yeah, I've thought about looking around locally, but I've been putting this off for months... it's easy to sit at home and pay a little shipping to get them. Speaking of, I already placed my order. :)

You do need to just get it done. I have been putting mine off waiting for you to finish yours so I can see how you did it. Not really though, just my excuse.

Greg

Admin
You do need to just get it done. I have been putting mine off waiting for you to finish yours so I can see how you did it. Not really though, just my excuse.

Tell me about it!! I know how I want to do it, but I'm kind of worried that it won't turn out how I'd like it to. That's the biggest reason I've been putting it off... plus all the welding, grinding and painting that needs to be done. I want to get it done soon, for a Presidents Day weekend trip. We'll see how that turns out. :ugh:

UNSTUCK

But stuck more often.
I have one, I think with a green handle, kicking around here that I don't need. Brand new. Half the price of what you find.