lockright or leave it open

91satoy

im thinking about putting a lockright in the front of my truck before easter jeep safari or just leaving it open. i was just wondering how long the birfields are gona last with 35" tires whats your thoughts i have never broke one yet but was wondering whats gona happen with a locker up there

zukking01

I would put it in. I think being locked helps ease the throttle and may lower the need to romp and bind to cause breaks.

The locker could also give you a false sense of unstoppable and make you do crazy things to break, but if it were me I would lock it up.

jeep-N-montero

Formerly black_ZJ
I remember back in 2001 when I locked up the rear 35 I loved knowing I could crawl easier and not use the skinny pedal as much. Between the locker and the 31in Baja Claws I ran back then I was following guys with 33's.

rondo

rondo
I'd do it as long as you are already locked in the back. then be wise on the gas. a locker should really preserve your axles and drivetrain as long as you don't get crazy. we've all seen guys that are open use more and more throttle to get over stuff.

billylight

you will break the birfield turning on the slick rock. it will hold up better on the obstacles cause you will be pulling tires and have uneven weight on all 4 tires which lets it release the pressure. when you have all 4 wheels flat on the ground is when you are in the biggest trouble. ive broken more birfields on even surfaces then on uneven terrain. any toyota guy on here that has worked there way up slowly from a stocker can attest to this. ive even done it in a parking lot. you'll love the performance for sure from it but id carry the aftermarket birfs with you to replace as you break them. you'll spend more on a stock birf in moab during ejs then after market ones cost normally

reddman

Fabber
Keep in mind your steering is going to seriously suck unless you upgrade to at least hydro assist.

I personally wouldn't even consider a locker up front unless you're doing some steering upgrades at the same time. When I locked up my front and rear, it took about 37 seconds of driving until I decided that hydro assist was absolutely necessary.

zukking01

Keep in mind your steering is going to seriously suck unless you upgrade to at least hydro assist.

I personally wouldn't even consider a locker up front unless you're doing some steering upgrades at the same time. When I locked up my front and rear, it took about 37 seconds of driving until I decided that hydro assist was absolutely necessary.

I disagree. I have a spool in rear and a detroit in the front and I have the stock IFS box on my vehicle. I only have issues turning the wheel when wedged against a rock and that is to be expected. If you were moving the rig with the tires fron the hydro you increase pressure on your axle and that can lead to breakage.

Max Power

Bryce
I would lock it as well. I have a detroit ez-locker(which I think is the same as a lockrite) in my front toyota axle. I have never broken anything with stock shafts and have been on several trails in Moab. Your steering will seriously slow down and you will have to take your foot off the gas to turn sharp. I will be putting hydro assist on soon.

ricsrx

X2

I have to unlock my elocker befor i have to turn, afewtimes i have not been able to get it unlocked and it was a b**ch to turn...

but I would rather have it locked and deal with the stearing later.

cheepin

Lock it.I also think lockers help slow axle breakage.Since both tires and axles are splitting the stress.On my last CJ-7 with a WB of "98.Having the front locked was nescesary on the steeper stuff.It liked to lift the front driverside tire.I had a twinsticked D300 so turning was no problem.I would just unlock the front.

tony moniz

i would say lock it too. i had my toyota front welded and only broke birfs trying to back out and up an obstical. but when going forward just let the gears do the work and you should be fine.

pELYgroso

'Merica
lock it but just be careful on sharp turns when you have a lot of traction with all 4 tires on the ground, expecially in reverse! If you're backing up, full turn and the locker is engaged, expect the birf to break.

turbohaulic

I don't know it just is!
I agree with both opionions on here. I'd lock it BUT keep in mind you will be alot more likely to break birf's and put a $hit load more stress on your steering. I disagree about the hydro thou, you'd have the power and ease at your arm to turn but unlimited force to your steering so IMO you'd be more likely to create problems there. I've got the Aussie in the front, had it there for 2 years now with no problems. I'm only running 33's and I'm not an abusive driver. There's been a few times I absolutely don't like the front locker. My locker ratchets well on pavement unless your givin it enough throttle to engage it. However, going down hill with a load on the axle and turning sucks and snow wheeling:D The Aussie is cheap and just as good or better than lockrite. Stay away from quiklock!!! Any who, good luck:)

SUPERFLY

CaptainRob
Save your money! Weld the diff and buy LONGFIELDS, I have an elocker in the front of my toy and I havent unlocked it in 2 years, and my hydro is sitting on a self in my shop, don't get me wrong, the hydro helps a lot, but it isn't necessary. The only time you will notice a welded diff is when your on dry road in 4wheeldrive(you shouldn't do that anyways)or all four tires are firmly touching solid slick rock and even then, back up a few more times, so what? Ejs isn't werock championships.

If anything I'd weld the diff even with the stock birfs, I have two toys in my shop right now with stock birfs, 36s and welded diffs, both of which I personally dive and beat on regularly, yes they do break sometimes but its not half as bad as people make it sound. Keep in mind they are stronger than many stock axles out there

iamsparticus

Take your Rig to the Edge
lock it and if you don't like the steering upgrade, and i would do the after market bifields, but the stockers are strong to jsut go easy on the skinny pedal

turbohaulic

I don't know it just is!
I'm against the welding of the front personally. It IS noticable even on dirt but not that bad. Lock it up!!:D Have you decided what you wanna do?

90 cherokee

my friend is welded front and its not bad i have a lock right in my yota (3/4 ton 44) and if im easy on it it ratchets when i turn LOCK IT UP!