Log-Term Quality Vehicle Tracking

Hardcastle

Hey guys. I came across this site a while back and thought others may be interested:

http://www.dashboard-light.com/click-here-first/

They track vehicle failures by VIN and offer up the results here for free. They give vehicles a "Quality Index Rating" based on drivetrain failures only. They don't have any data based around car interiors that suck, cars prone to say ball joint failures, rust problems, safety features, etc. Basically they're just looking for how long the motor, trans, and main drivetrain lasts. The biggest miss i see is if you look at say a Dodge Ram all 1500, 2500, 3500, and all the motor/trans combo info is left off. You can only track the Ram by year. Still pretty interesting info if you're someone who buys used vehicles or someone who keeps their new car for 10+ years. You can look at a specific manufacture, specific type of vehicle (compact car, van, SUV, mid-size truck, etc) or narrow it right down to the specific car. I liked the report on % of cars still on the road after 18 years or 180k miles by manufacture as well.

sawtooth4x4

Totally Awesome
This guy doesn't seem to know a lot.

Under land rovers, because I deal with them a lot and know them very well.

LR2's are garbage. Complete and utter garbage. He rates them higher than an LR3 and LR4. But that is completely wrong. It should be

LR4>LR3>LR2

Land Rovers quality since 2006 has sky rocketed. Ever since Ford sold it to Tata things have been being built much better and the quality is at its highest level ever.

The Ford and Dodge ratings do seem legit. My F350 was a pile of garbage and always broken. My Ram 2500 has never had a single issue in 56K miles of ownership.

Thanks, pretty interesting.