Long Arm travel

elk6x6

I have tj with long arm on it. With the shocks that are on it, it travels until the springs start to unseat. Is there any benefit to installing longer shocks that would let the springs slide down the bump stops. Thanks

Team1k

Are you saying currently your shocks are what is stopping downward travel? If so you should probably put a limiting strap on that before it tears a shock apart. Ideally(in my opinion) you shouldnt have your springs unseating and reseating so i would limit it right where the spring is just about to come unseated. If you need more travel there may be better springs out there or coilovers.

jeep-N-montero

Formerly black_ZJ
I have tj with long arm on it. With the shocks that are on it, it travels until the springs start to unseat. Is there any benefit to installing longer shocks that would let the springs slide down the bump stops. Thanks

What are your drive line angles like at full droop? Definitely something to consider before allowing more down-travel, I would look at ways of gaining more up-travel first.

Mcamish01

Carolina Crawler
^ Agreed. With the spring unseated your not really gaining much traction by allowing it to droop further, just compromising stability. I'd look at additional uptravel, and limit strap the axle to where the coil just begins unseating. Lifting a tire isn't a terrible issue. I'd rather have a stable rig with three tires on the ground than a super slinky rig with poor stability; it makes off camber situations more predictable.

elk6x6

I have my bump stops set to stop up travel just before my shocks bottom out. Up travel is close 5 inches. Drive line angles seem to be okay with the other things I have done to help them.

Last edited:

carsonc1974

sounds like your upper shock mounts may be to low... if the shock mounts are raised, do you have clearance for more bump travel? or your shocks are a little to long...

SpeedyVic

I have my bump stops set to stop up travel just before my shocks bottom out. Up travel is close 5 inches. Drive line angles seem to be okay with the other things I have done to help them.

How much further beyond the point of unseating will your shocks allow the suspension to droop? How much further up can your suspension compress before it hits something if your shock was not the limiting factor?

If you can compress another inch or two , then you would probably be better off getting a shock that has a shorter body. Once you unseat your spring, there really isn't much weight on the wheel and you tend to lose traction at that point.

I would ramp the jeep with the shocks removed and measure for new shocks.