lookie what I got :D:D

onetuff76

Guard Rail Tester
one in the lung, one at the base of the neck just above the spine, one in the hind leg (yeah that one was bad), she was running full bore on all 3 shots too, never broke stride

Meat_

Banned
Elk are tough. It takes them awhile to realize they are already dead.

Here's two stories from the same canyon (trophy unit)

Bull heading up an 80deg hill at a good clip with 3 rounds of 165 XLC from a 30-378 wby in the vitals with a 4th shot tipping him over.... and me yelling to shoot him again because he was trying to get back up.

A few years later Bull heading around a steep side hill trail like the gnats got a bit thick and he was annoyed, the "gnats" were 3 rounds of 165 XLC from a 30/06 ack improved (3,120ft/s, 300 WIN MAG velocity) through the heart... 4th round caught some lung and shoulder and finally wheelied him over.

Some of you may be thinking that x bullets are poor performers.... that is a myth put up by people who need an excuse other than the expense to not use them.... x bullets really are the bomb.

muleskinner

Meat_ said:
Some of you may be thinking that x bullets are poor performers.... that is a myth put up by people who need an excuse other than the expense to not use them.... x bullets really are the bomb.

I only shoot the 180gr triple shock in my ultra mag. (other than the 110gr 4000fps ballistic tips at Rabbits/Coyotes) Barnes makes great bullets. There's a thread on Monster Muley's about "which calibur is best for Elk" and people are ranting and raving about the .338's. I'm going to post some ballistics comparing my Ultra mag 180's to anything the .338 will shoot. (It will smoke the .338 hands down) 180gr/ B.C. .552/3400FPS/

Here's one for the guy who said his .338 will smoke anything... Mines the red line:p

300UM-338win.jpg

Meat_

Banned
.338 is a good cal, but it's not the end all be all. The .338 WIN is a slow turd, but it still does alright on elk.

With the effect of x's you really want the bullet to exit, the wound cavity wont reseal because of the high speed blender effect of the pedals, and the .338 WIN doesn't always have enough velocity to exit.

I used to be in the "can they really be that good crowd?", then I worked there for awhile making tooling, I was converted :D

I've yet to try the triple shocks, they came out right after I left and I have such a stock pile of the XLC's that I haven't bought any triples.

After working up the loads for that po ackley, I can attest to the benefits of the coating on the XLC's. I got my sweet spot with the XLC's worked out, then loaded up some interloc's (cheap :D) I knew I couldn't use as much powder so I started with 4 less grains of 760 (60 instead of 64 IIRC) and blew out some primer pockets :eek:

As for more velocity out of a .30 cal, yes I could get a lot more with another cartridge but my improved has a 20" barrel weights next to nothing (Ruger lightweight) and I can shoot $4.50/box ammo out of mine for fun :p

Edit: another awesome thing about x's is the increased sectional density (and corresponding BC) that comes from the less dense (than lead) copper

Sorry if you feel we've hyjacked :eek:

Last edited: