lookin for some HONEST direction

alboy79

dreamin of moab
ive got an opportunity to come down to moab in the next couple weeks and i would love to experience the wheeling world down there. where would a guy start. i know nothing of the layout besides what i read on forums, and ive got a map. how often do the locals go on runs down there(meaning if i was to come down on any given weekend could i possibly hook up with locals on a run)? can i watch some of the trails/obsticals without accually driving them? i know some of you are laughin at me and ill admit im a total outsider when it comes to your area thats why i ask. i dont want to tread where i dont belong and i dont want to get in over my head and wreck it for anyone else. just trying to equip myself before i come down. any help would be fantastic.

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
Are you going to have for a rig? Is it lifted, tire size? There's plenty of fun trails that you can do & get yourself introduced to the area. How long will you be in Moab? Dates?

A book of the area & the trails down there would be a good start. You can see what interests you, the area of Moab it is in and how difficult the trails are. The best book for wheelin' in Moab is the Charles Wells; Guide to Moab

As far as locals going out or trails, you'd have to hookup with someone or know who is going where, and when. During EJS there's places you can go to watch, but other than that you really need to be a group if you want to see any trail action.

I would vote for going out immediately and buying Charles Wells book. It has excellent directions and fairly accurate trail descriptions and that will help point you in the direction of what trails you will feel most comfortable on. Another option would be checking the We be Jeepin' website : www.webejeepinmoab.com If you don't see anything posted up there, contact someone on that site and see if they have anything in the works for the time you'll be in town. Hope it's a party!! :)

Spork

Tin Foil Hat Equipped

gijohn40

too poor to wheel... :(
on the weekends you can also go to citimarket and see what groups meet up there and where they are going... most everyone meets there and decides where to go from there....

Exalted 4x4

So. U Crew
Most of the major trails have the little spray paint decals on the actual trail and you can pick up maps there also from the ranger booths. When I went for the first time I asked around on here and other forums to see what trails that i could actually do (hence the reason for everyone asking what you are driving). Then pick the trails, the major trails are pretty easy to get to ie: poison spider, hells revenge etc.

Last edited:

drtsqrl

I luv Pritchett
Check out www.webejeepinmoab.com.

Also, since Easter Jeep Safari is just a few weeks away, there will probably be a lot of "pre-runs" over the next few weekends. People usually meet at the City Market parking lot in Moab at 9:00 AM, it should be pretty easy to find someone to tag along with.

alboy79

dreamin of moab
im thinking i pry wont have a rig this time. i was pushin to bring it with but unfortunatly it dont look like its gonna happen. is there any recomended spots where i can watch or see some moab wheeling? if i have to hike in that dont bother me, or maybe drive in part way in my truck and hike the rest. The reason for goin on the trip in the first place is i have a couple job interviews out that way, my dad and i are taking a road trip. we had talked about taking the rig out but he dont feel its as important as the job side of the trip(which hes right, but..) so if i leave it at home can i have a decent time meeting new wheelers and seeing new areas that ive never experienced before? or should i scrap the whole idea of going to moab and wait till i bring a rig? again thanks to all for the help, like i said i wanna make sure im on the up and up with where i go and what i do.

themaniam1

Just Empty Every Pocket
The rentals are Rubicons so they have lockers. What dates are you going to be down? That way if one of us are going to be there you could hookup and either ride shotgun if there is room or if you rent then just join the group. I might be down there March 7 & 8, still checking out the wife's work to see if we can go. That weeking is the Moab ½ marathon so rooms may be on the short side. You could alway just go Mnt. biking and then you will see the wheeling as well as the great scenery!

Charles Wells has a 2nd edition out now. You will want to get that.