Looking at getting a new cordless drill combo

lewis

Fight Till You Die
Looking to see what every one is using. Looking to get a cordless dril and impact driver. I have used craftsman 19.2 v for 10+ years and have been happy with it as they are still working strong after heavy use. I needed new batteries and bought some and they didnt last a month so I am looking for something else.I don't care about weight. Just want them to hold.up.to the abuse I put them through.Here is what I have found online.
Dewalt- Chuck sucks on new ones,.I have never liked the chucks on them and always stayed away from them do to this.

milwaukee- outer shell is weak

Bosch- have heard they are about to come out with 20v like everyone else so finding a combo kit is getting hard to come by. most $$.

porter cable- price is the cheapest which kinda worries me about the quality and if it will hold up. pretty heavy which I don't care about.

Thoughts?

sixstringsteve

I don't use mine very heavily, but I've been impressed with my milwaukee set. It's got a lot more power than my older 18v makita set. I also like the built-in battery indicator on each battery.

Last edited:

skippy

Pretend Fabricator
I loved my old makita, it seemed to have the best battery life out of any of my drills/impacts I have a craftsman set now and it does the job just dandy but I still miss my makita (it got stolen)

skeptic

I have Craftsman. Started with someone buying me a set as a gift years ago and I've been slowly adding to it. Overall I'm happy with them, no real complaints other than certain tools are missing that you can get with other brands of cordless tools. They are slowly expanding the line, so even that complaint might go away. If I had to start over I'd go with Ryobi even though they are rated at 18v instead of 19.2v, they have a more complete line of tools and Home Depots are all over the place. I just can't justify the cost for high end brands for the light duty occasional home use.

OrvisKrawler

Captain Obvious
I have the Milwaukee drill, impact and sawsall set, I use them quite a bit and they've been great, a friend of mine also has Milwaukee and he abuses the hell out of them and they havent given him any problems

moab_cj5

Supporting Member
I have the Milwaukee set too, mand it has been awesome. I dont use mine everyday, but my buddy Zak that does HVAC work abuses his and they are still going strong.

Sent from my GT-N8013 using Tapatalk

jeep-N-montero

Formerly black_ZJ
I bought the DeWalt 20 volt combo set last year and have been pretty happy with it, in addition to home projects I use it a lot for camping with the sawzall wood blade and the spotlight.

DAA

I'm not very knowledgeable on the subject. Came on here and asked basically the exact same question about six months ago, in fact. But I ended up getting the Milwaukee set and have used it quite a bit and am really pleased with it. If they got stole today, I'd buy the same ones again to replace them.

I also added a Milwaukee 1/2" impact, which I've only used a little bit, but it's pretty handy dandy and will be going on the trail with me from now on.

- DAA

SLC97SR5

IDIesel
I have 2 of the Makita 18v sets. I love them especially when combined with the larger battery.

A lot of the guys at work are loving their Ridgid Fuego drills and impacts.

blznnp

I have a Makita 18v set, and also the bigger impact gun. I have used the drill and smaller impact a lot over the last 4-5 years. My only problem that I have had is that I had one of the original batteries go bad, or so the charger said it was, and now the replacement that I bought is bad, or so the charger says. The people who I bought the replacement battery from advised against using the rapid charger that comes with the drill set, they say it ruins the batteries. But other than that, I have loved mine and will continue to use Makita since I already have the batteries for them.

R

rockdog

I have the Milwaukee set with the bigger batteries. I love the chuck on the drill. 100 times better than my dewalt. I have used it to drill some pretty big holes in steel. It rocks! I would for sure buy these again!

rockreligious

NoEcoNaziAmmo
I have use and abuse my Makita 18 volt lithiums all day everyday for the last 4 years, and they are still going strong...love em. original batteries, that said my old makita's batteries failed when I quit using them everyday. they like to get used everyday. Lithiums weigh half as much, last longer and charge faster.

jackjoh

Jack - KC6NAR
Supporting Member
Most of the people we hire to work on our rentals use DeWalt but I just use the cheapest from Harbor Freight because you can buy two or three for the same price and get the batteries cheaper.

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
I'm very happy with my Milwaukee set. It seems to me like the Milwaukee and Makita are essentially equal as far as I'd care...both would make me happy. :)

Cascadia

Undecided
Had Makita for about 4 years and never had an issue. Loved em. I also have a Bosch that has a little more power but I don't think they make it anymore.

lewis

Fight Till You Die
Anybody use a Rigid? Lifetime Warranty including batteries and highest impact torque rating on the market. Hadn't even looked at them before finding that out.

cruiserhead81

wiggam wheeler
I have the rigid set and love them. The lifetime battery warranty is great. I do wish the batteries would last longer on the impact driver, but i would buy them again.

Brad J

Anybody use a Rigid? Lifetime Warranty including batteries and highest impact torque rating on the market. Hadn't even looked at them before finding that out.

I had a rigid & loved it. Best Cordless that I have had & cheaper & more powerful than all of my Dewalts.