Looking for 2001-2004 tacoma

660griz

Looking for a 2001-2004 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 TRD. Preferably a 4-door, but would consider the right ex-cab. v-6, auto, mild lift, good tires. Any other mods ok. Going to be used as a daily driver. If you know of one like I am searching for, pm me with any details. thanks.

660griz

depends on what it is steve. I just like the looks of the 2001-2004 that's all. what do you have in mind? Not looking for anything with high miles.

sixstringsteve

Gotcha. I'll keep my eyes peeled. What do you consider "high miles" and what's your price range? (Mine is not for sale, but I know a lot of people with tacomas, so the more info the better.

660griz

my wish list is......2001-2004. but like stated earlier will consider older.
3.4 auto
trd, mild lift, good tires
ex-cab but prefer double cab
not black or bright colors, could be tan, silver green etc
say under 120,000 or so. also had the timing belt,water pump replaced at proper mileage
Summary: a daily driver, not all beat up that I can drive across country if needed but be reliable offroad while hunting etc. doesn't need to be a rock crawler. no rocks within 100's of miles of here. I just can't find any tacomas around here.
price range say under 13,000? that might be asking a lot, be will see whats out there. thanks.
new at looking for something newer,as I am still driving an 84 Toyota 4x4

sixstringsteve

Tacos hold their value really well. Its tough to find even a stock 4 door taco with less than 120k for under $16,000. An extended cab will be a LOT cheaper than a double cab. The double cabs sell really fast on ksl.

660griz

How about a 2001 dc with 145,000 on it. looks mint. Has a trd supercharger. Or should I stay away from a supercharger for my needs? Can you only run premium gas? thanks. He wants 11,500 for it.

sixstringsteve

Its your call. A lot of people love the added power of a supercharger. You definitely need to run premium gas with a sc. A supercharger will add more wear and tear on the drivetrain, especially the tranny. It all depends on how it was driven (drag race style, towing its entire life, cry using parleys every day) and how well its maintained. Just remember that nice paint doesnt mean the maintenance was done. If it's in good shape and well taken care of, it could be a great rig for you.

A few things to check:

- does it have the urd 7th injector? (If so, I would stay away from it)
- is it a 4x4?
- clean title?
- has the valve body on the tranny been upgraded yet?
- does it have an aftermarket tranny cooler?
- has the tranny fluid been changed regularly?
- have the timing belt and water pump been done?
- have the ball joints or steering rack been replaced?
- any weird front-end vibrations or noises when you go over bumps or drive at speeds?
- any history of accidents?
- any rust?

Those questions should give you a good idea of the condition of the truck. And of course you'll want to drive out around. Those motors last a very long time of taken care of. Good luck.

Last edited:

Marsh99

Lover of all things Toyota
How about a 2001 dc with 145,000 on it. looks mint. Has a trd supercharger. Or should I stay away from a supercharger for my needs? Can you only run premium gas? thanks. He wants 11,500 for it.

With a supercharger I think maintainence records are key. I disagree with sixstring on the urd 7 injector. Urd has updated the problems that it was causing. 2001 Tacoma was still drive by throttle cable so the fuel issues need to be address by some after market system. The 2004 Tacoma was drive by wire and you can re-map the fuel on the ecu.

sixstringsteve

I've never met anyone with a URD 7th injector that had it dialed. It always gave them more tuning/maintenance issues than they said it was worth. Desi has a sweet truck, but he's got so much stuff going on in there it's crazy. 7th injector, water injection, all sorts of stuff. I'm not saying it's necessarily bad, but if it were me, I'd turn down one with the 7th injector. On paper it's great, but talking to people who have tried to make it work, I'd stay far away personally.

Marsh99

Lover of all things Toyota
I've never met anyone with a URD 7th injector that had it dialed. It always gave them more tuning/maintenance issues than they said it was worth. Desi has a sweet truck, but he's got so much stuff going on in there it's crazy. 7th injector, water injection, all sorts of stuff. I'm not saying it's necessarily bad, but if it were me, I'd turn down one with the 7th injector. On paper it's great, but talking to people who have tried to make it work, I'd stay far away personally.

Yes they had tons of issues but recently came out with an updated kit.

660griz

I will prolly pass on a supercharged truck. around here most little towns don't even carry premium gas. And after all the things mentioned at least I know what to look for. thanks everyone for replying.

660griz

I'm in Sutton, Nebraska. Land of no Toyotas or rocks. Just a lot of eye sore flat heavily farmed farm ground.......Boring!

TROKITA

ya like steve said tacos hold there value really good, mines a 98 with over 200k miles and supposeably a value on it is worth more then how much i got it for...