Wanted Looking for a crank out of a jeep 4.2l

Die Blaue Ziege

Working on a Ford somewhere
Looking for help finding a crank for a jeep 4.2l used is ok, my engine builder needs one for the stroker build. Anyone have any leads?

Trate D

Sorry I was hoping to find a local one from someone who had it lying around, and it looks like I found one. A guy that owns a shop in Slc (The Rad Jeep Guy) has one I’m going to pick up today. Thanks though.
That guy has a ton of good stuff. Just recently got some hard to find parts from him.

Die Blaue Ziege

So the crank I purchased from the rad jeep guy appt is bad, the machine shop told me the first lobe was too worn ( I’m not a machinist so I have no clue how to tell a good from a bad crank) so I’m on the look out for another 4.2l crank.

Last edited:

Die Blaue Ziege

Side note is it unreasonable that I asked the Rad jeep guy for my money back if I brought the part back to him? He didn’t seem too happy with my request. I just figured the very positive things you all had to say about him and his shop that he would be understanding of the situation

STAG

On my grind
I do know some crank journals can be built back up and then remachined and ground back in spec, but I don’t know what makes a crank a candidate for that or not. Or if it’s cost efficient. I’d assume if done correctly it’s still reliable.

UNSTUCK

But stuck more often.
I can see it going both ways.

What does “the first line was too warn” mean? What is the spec and what is the actual measurement? If your machine shop just measured a journal and decided it was .001 too far undersized, no one would know that by a visual inspection. I’m assuming there was no obvious gouges that Brad told you would be fine. He’s not like that. He visually looked at it, just the same as you. You left there happy with your purchase, without ever putting your own measuring tools on it. You have some responsibility there. Would you buy a used car at a dealership just on the salesman's word it’s a good car? You’d at least test drive it and look under the hood like you know what your looking at, like we all do.

Brads a bit old school. Have you had a phone call conversation with him? That will go over much better than a bunch of texts. Knowing Brad, I’d guess something soured him to leave you hanging. He’s not stealing your money.

Die Blaue Ziege

Oh no I’m not trying to say he is a bad guy, just explaining my experience, I hope others do their due diligence when buying from anyone, I should have done my homework before buying. I’m not a machinist by any means and really had no idea what I was looking for. I did have a phone conversation with him and that is when he told me let him chew on it. I was hoping I could drive it to him and return it. I was really updating as a lesson to others to do their homework when buying used parts.

And yes I removed my last post as I don’t think my meaning came across correctly.