Looking for a good Machine Tooling class

rrefx

I just got the Garage it's Christmas present. A good condition used Le Blond lathe, and a Bridgeport mill. I'm pretty good on Lathes, but haven't had any real experiance on a mill, and am anxious to learn. I took a general machine tooling night class at UVSC several years ago, and ended up with a bunch of mechanics learning how to turn break rotors. It wasn't what I was looking for. I was hoping there is a good class out there, preferably a night class, where I could become aquainted with my mill and it's capabilities. Anyone taken a good one?

Thanks,
Ryan

Last edited:

James K

NO, I'm always like this
have you looked at SLCC?

and a side note..................where did you pick up your mill? and what did you give for it?

got pics of the mill? :D

rrefx

I haven't tried SLCC yet, has anyone taken a class there, know if it's worth the time?

I got the mill, the lathe, a knack box full of tooling for both, a turn table, and a large grinder all for $2000 from a fellow Effects guy in LA who is moving his whole machine shop to Oregon, and wanted to downsize. I snapped some quick shots for you. For now, I just put them in the back corner of the garage till I can make a place for them, and get the garage wired up for them.

rrefx

That's odd, the pics didn't upload. Let me try again.

Attachments

• mill 002.jpg
    mill 002.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 30
  • mill 001.jpg
    mill 001.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 26
  • Picture 004.jpg
    Picture 004.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 23

rrefx

Thee we go. They are in need of a little cleaning up and a touch of paint, but my uncle use to be a machinist in this guys shop, and says thy're in great working order. I also have allready had someone offer me $2000 for the lathe, which makes me feel pretty good about the buy.

rrefx

Thanks guys,
I'm quite happy with them myself. Excited to jump in, get them cleaned up and a fresh coat of paint, and start playing. I was also fortunate enough to pick up a second mill with my dad. It's a Bridgeport series 2, and we are hoping to rebuild it, and retrofit it as a modern CNC mill. It's not at my place at the moment, but hopefully soon we can start on it. I'm a little intimidated, seems a big project, but I can only imagine what it will be like when up and running.

Ryan

bobdog

4x4 Addict!
I beleive the SLCC machinists program is no more. The story I heard is that they had a school president that was very hostile to the "dirty" trades.

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
bobdog said:
I beleive the SLCC machinists program is no more. The story I heard is that they had a school president that was very hostile to the "dirty" trades.

As of last year they were still teaching some sort of machining/manufacturing class. I took an Engineering based manufacturing/machining class there, and I know there were some standard machining classes still using the machine shop too. However, I heard a similar story about the diesel mech program :confused:

rrefx

bobdog said:

That's a shame. Always learned a lot more in my "Dirty Trades" classes in school than in a lot of the other stuff they make you sit through.

bobdog

4x4 Addict!
cruiseroutfit said:
As of last year they were still teaching some sort of machining/manufacturing class. I took an Engineering based manufacturing/machining class there, and I know there were some standard machining classes still using the machine shop too. However, I heard a similar story about the diesel mech program :confused:

That is strange. Two years ago I was attending classes in the Diesel/Heavy Duty mechanics program and there was no machinist program. The Diesel instructers were pretty pissed that all the machines had been sold and they did not get a stab at them. The machining class that used to be a requirement of the program was not offered because there was no machine shop there any more. :confused:

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
bobdog said:
That is strange. Two years ago I was attending classes in the Diesel/Heavy Duty mechanics program and there was no machinist program. The Diesel instructers were pretty pissed that all the machines had been sold and they did not get a stab at them. The machining class that used to be a requirement of the program was not offered because there was no machine shop there any more. :confused:

Mabey we both have no clue... :D

There is still a decent machine shop at the Redwood campus. There are ~15 lathes, 10+ computerized mills, drill presses, saws, etc. They had ALOT of tooling too. Our class (and the other machine class) was taught by a guy named Joel that was a Mechanical Engineer. I had my class Spring 04, and I know they still had it as of last spring, it is a basic ME requirement to come o the U.

Anyone want to come see a BLING machine shop, I would gladly show people around the AML (Advanced Manufacturing Lab) here at the U where we are building our Mini-Baja vehicle. 70kRPM lathes, 2 EDM machines, 5 axis mill with pallet changer & 100+ tool behive, coordinate plotting machine, rapid prototype machine, TIG, MIG, ARC, lathes, mills, etc... :cool: :cool:

bobdog

4x4 Addict!
cruiseroutfit said:
Mabey we both have no clue... :D

There is still a decent machine shop at the Redwood campus. There are ~15 lathes, 10+ computerized mills, drill presses, saws, etc. They had ALOT of tooling too. Our class (and the other machine class) was taught by a guy named Joel that was a Mechanical Engineer. I had my class Spring 04, and I know they still had it as of last spring, it is a basic ME requirement to come o the U.

QUOTE]

Maybe they only let the smart kids play with the fun stuff now. I need to pick up a schedule or catalog and check it out.