Looking for a GREAT realtor. Where to start?

sixstringsteve

I made the mistake of not using a realtor when I bought my house and I regret it. Now I'm looking to sell my house and purchase a smaller one, and I'm looking for a GREAT realtor. I'm open to specific recommendations, but I'm mostly curious about the best way to find a great realtor. I want someone with a lot of experience with my area and lots of closed deals. I'd rather not use a personal friend (friends and business don't always mix).

Anyone have any resources to point me towards? Any general real estate advice while getting my house ready to sell? Anyone have a Realtor that they absolutely loved that specializes in Utah Valley? Any lessons learned when you bought/sold a house that you wish you had known beforehand?

And, while we're thinking of it, I'd appreciate it if anyone could keep their eyes peeled for me for a house with the following criteria:

- no HOA
- duplex, triplex, or house with a legal mother in law apartment we can rent out
- small yard (small lawn to mow). Lots of cement is OK
- 2+ car garage is a plus, but not absolutely necessary. A shop in the back would be ideal, but we realize chances are slim at best of that.
- in the towns of Lehi, Cedar Hills, American Fork, Pleasant Grove, Highland, or Alpine
- Rambler preferred or split level. No 2-story houses.
- not a fixer-upper
- under $350k

Last edited:

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
we should have lunch about my experience that closes tomorrow. Fun stuff. Use a good realtor would be my advice. I've sold/bought without a realtor. REALLY happy I had one for this transaction. Working with an "interesting" seller. I would STRONGLY recommend my realtor but I don't know of his experience in UT county. I do know that he does SL and Davis county.

jeeper

Currently without Jeep
I also have a great realtor I could point you towards, who does know utah county very well.
Joyce walker 801-five nine eight- 1008.
Her extra knowledge saved me 20k and a legal battle on one of our houses.

My advice is to interview multiple realtors and pick the one that you mesh with the best. You will be spending much time with them.

Also, a realtor with a ton of transactions is not going to be your best. I work with many who close 20+ a month. Everything goes through their secretaries, the agents have no real clue what's happening, and your personal service will go waaaaaay down.

Last edited:

jeeper

Currently without Jeep
Also, you will have much better luck finding the right house, and then building a shop. Your small house/large garage combo is more difficult to find. Figure out building expense for a shop, and search for a home that would work. It might save you money, or find you a better house in the end.

Troop92

Bryan Hurd. www.bhurdinutah.com

I've known Bryan since we were little kids, he helped us buy our home, and week use him when we sell. Fantastic. He listens to what you want/need, and is realistic in his approach.

Tell him Kyle Williams referred you. He and his team are top notch.

sixstringsteve

Thanks Kyle. Most of the realtors mentioned in this thread mainly deal with SLC. I'm thinking it'll be easier to deal with someone who knows my neighborhood and is nearby when we want to meet.

I'll definitely be doing a walkthrough video of our home. I figure it can only help.

I wonder if now is a decent time to sell or if I should wait until school is out. My house will appeal more to a family with kids than a retired or childless couple.

Troop92

Thanks Kyle. Most of the realtors mentioned in this thread mainly deal with SLC. I'm thinking it'll be easier to deal with someone who knows my neighborhood and is nearby when we want to meet.

They go all over, Davis, SL, Utah Counties. We started our search in Lehi, ended up in Layton, and looked at everything in between!

sixstringsteve

is it pretty common to have to sign a contract with a realtor these days? My dad was a realtor and he never did anything like that.

glockman

I hate Jeep trucks
My FIL is an appraiser and says this is the worst time of year to sell. Just after Christmas and still winter. As the weather warms up so does the market. Not sure how this warm winter would affect that.

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
Jeff Durrant, 801-244-8197. Friend of mine for a long long time, but he likes Toyotas. (He's "Clutch" here, but posts rarely) Don't know how much UT county stuff he does vs. SLC, but you can find that out. :)

jeeper

Currently without Jeep
My FIL is an appraiser and says this is the worst time of year to sell. Just after Christmas and still winter. As the weather warms up so does the market. Not sure how this warm winter would affect that.

I know an appraiser ;) who says the same thing. Worst time to sell, best time to buy.. So it's kind of a wash if you are doing both. However, with the warm winter we have had, I have not seen a slow down at all.

sixstringsteve

when is the best time to sell? Summertime?

D

Deleted member 12904

when is the best time to sell? Summertime?

What I did when selling my house was placed like iphones and tablets laying around the house to record people as they came through. Dishonest? Maybe but I got real honest feedback you never get. Anyways We noticed people with families always talked about moving the kids school this late in the school year. So I think moving in wet conditions along with changing schools mid year for families may be a factor for time to sell.

sixstringsteve

We noticed people with families always talked about moving the kids school this late in the school year. So I think moving in wet conditions along with changing schools mid year for families may be a factor for time to sell.

Makes lots of sense. I was thinking along these lines.

I know an appraiser ;) who says the same thing. Worst time to sell, best time to buy.. So it's kind of a wash if you are doing both.

We're not in a huge hurry to move. We could rent for a few months until we find the right house. So we could wait 'till summer, then buy a new house a few months later, when winter starts. We don't have too much stuff, so we could get by with most of it staying in a storage unit. Thanks for the feedback.

sixstringsteve

Why do you think you made a mistake of not using a realtor when you purchased your house? Just curious.

Long story, but we bought the wrong house for our needs (though the location was awesome), and we overpaid. A good realtor would have helped us realize this before pulling the trigger.