Looking for a shop or somebody to install gears in a JK

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
i would go back to 4.56 to be honest. You're welcome to come take a spin if you like

He's also in a 2011, which means it has the low-powered 3.8l engine. It could use all the gearing you can give it!

What size tires are you going to run, Tacoman? If you're thinking 35's, 5.13's are about right IMO. Here's a gearing chart for the 3.8l JK, options for tire size, manual or auto transmissions.

JKgearing.jpg

BCGPER

Starting Another Thread
I'd go straight to 5.38 if you're running the automatic transmission. The real problem isn't the 3.8, it's the horible overdrive gear ratio.

skippy

Pretend Fabricator
I would also recommend 5.13s with the 3.8. I had a supercharged 3.8 with 5.13s and always wished I had more gear that was with 37s

zmotorsports

Hardcore Gearhead
Vendor
I have a 3 lift and 35s

Personally, I would go right to the 5.38:1 if you are running the 42RLE automatic. Mine is my daily driver and can't imagine anything less with the 3.8l engine, 35" tires and the automatic.

Mike.

On edit, the last guy's I did he was going to run 5.13's and I had him drive mine. He then had me install the 5.38 gears and has been very pleased. Just trying to give "actual" or "real world" information rather guessing or merely looking at a chart. I too started out thinking of installing 5.13's but drove a guys with 5.38's and that was the deciding factor. Had mine in for 4 years now and over 50k driven miles, another 15k-ish of being towed behind our coach.

Last edited:

OB1

I had a 07 JKU with the 3.8 with a manual 4" lift and 35" tires. I had 5:13 put in and you would of thought I added a supercharger. Loved it. It was not my DD though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk