Looking for a website for engine identification.

Tacoma

Et incurventur ante non
www.mortec.com

3970010....302.....69....4...Z-28 Camaro
3970010....327.....69....2...Trucks and industrial
3970010....350...69-80...2 or 4

My guess is that you have a whitebread 350. :D Any chance you have the head casting numbers???

EDIT: I'm asking because there is no real visual difference between a 327 and a 350...

Last edited:

jdub

Scrambler
Yeah Tacoma I really couldn't tell. The date isn't where the casting number is so that doesn't help. Where do you find the head casting number? Do I need to pull the valve covers off?

Tacoma

Et incurventur ante non
if I'm remembering right, the head casting number is under the rockers, so yeah, pull the covers.

You MIGHT have a 327. That would be neat. :D

MorTec's site is a good resource, but GM used the same numbers for a few different blocks.... knowing the head #'s might help narrow it down, though that's not bulletproof either, with SBC interchange. I don't have my more authoritative books handy, they have all the little distinguishing characteristics.

You may end up having to pull a head and mic'ing the bore.

Tacoma

Et incurventur ante non
Within generations, yeah. Pretty much everything up to... 87? interchanges. In '87 they changed the angle on the center bolts of the centerbolt heads (w/valve cover bolts in the center of the valve cover), but you can use earlier manifolds if you hog out the bolt holes... And then they went to Vortec stuff w/different intakes... but those heads will bolt up to eariler blocks, you just need to use the Vortec intakes too. :D

and the newer stuff is a lot different from the older-style...

Basically each family of engines interchanges with itself pretty well. Most people are used to the 1st-gen style engines.

and for your purposes, things interchange between the 302/327/350. :D