Looking for accurate maps of Lower/Upper Helldorado trails

Rick B

S.E. Utah Native
I've been searching for accurate uncluttered topo maps of the area that show the trails. I'm trying to compare them to some older topo maps I have of the area to see what, if any, of the trails was shown in the past. I currently have a 15 minute map of the area based on field data from 1954 that I believe shows at least part of the Lower Helldorado trail.

My thinking here is that if it can be shown to have been a road 50 years ago then it should have a good chance of qualifying under RS 2477.

So does anyone have these trails saved in their GPS & the ability to download the file & email to me so I can plug it in to my GPS mapping software & make the comparison?

drtsqrl

I luv Pritchett
Rick B said:
I've been searching for accurate uncluttered topo maps of the area that show the trails. I'm trying to compare them to some older topo maps I have of the area to see what, if any, of the trails was shown in the past. I currently have a 15 minute map of the area based on field data from 1954 that I believe shows at least part of the Lower Helldorado trail.

My thinking here is that if it can be shown to have been a road 50 years ago then it should have a good chance of qualifying under RS 2477.

So does anyone have these trails saved in their GPS & the ability to download the file & email to me so I can plug it in to my GPS mapping software & make the comparison?

Rick - I don't have any GPS data on either trail, but one of our club members might (at least Lower Helldorado, and Strike Ravine). Are you a Red Rock 4 Wheeler member? Weather you are or not, you should try to come to one of our meetings. We meet on the first Monday of every month, 7:00 PM at the Community Center. We've got a million things going on right now, with EJS, trail marking and maintenance, BLM and SITLA issueus, etc, but we are definately involved in this issue, and I'm sure we can help each other.

Jeff
RR4W

Rick B

S.E. Utah Native
Nope not a member, spend most of my time in Littleton, CO these days. But always looking for a job that pays enough to move back to Moab.

Hickey,

I've been all over the Terraserver site looking for maps or photos of the area. Their stuff is all from the mid 90's and doesn't even show the roads that my 1954 map does much less either of the Helldorado trails or Strike Ravine.

I know someone has this stuff in their GPS, just a matter of time until I find that someone & can compare it to the map I have.

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
I think I've got some GPS coordinates. It might just be of the trail entry though.

N 38 deg. 24.635
W 109 deg. 25.335

I'm pretty confident that is just the entry/staging area, not down in the wash.

Caleb

I've got a pretty good Topo program I will look through...I also have the Moab book that has all the trails in it, the GPS cords are just a little off I believe in the book but I will see what I can come up with...