Looking for fuel injector cleaning svc

H-K

INFIDEL
Supporting Member
I have two GM TBI injectors in need of cleaning/reconditioning. Could anybody point me to a service, preferably in Davis County or SLC area, that does the whole chemical/ultrasonic cleaning and spray testing thing? They are spraying in a conical formation, but also drizzling from the tip, so I think they are a bit clogged up and I'm hoping a good cleaning will fix it.

Thanks

Kevin B.

Not often wrong. Never quite right.
I used Certified Injection Service on Main in south Salt Lake and they were ok. Then I shipped my next set off to Accurate Injector in Lake Havasu AZ and was stoked. Even after shipping it was less expensive than anybody local, the injectors came back with fresh seals and o-rings (something Certified didn't do), and turnaround was 6 days total from mailbox to mailbox, counting the three day weekend in the middle. I recommend them highly.

H-K

INFIDEL
Supporting Member
Thanks Kevin. I'll look them up. I found a source for new injectors for $51 each (Rockauto.com) and thinking it might be worth it to just buy new ones at that price rather than take a gamble on these old ones cleaning up well. One of them had some seriously-tough crud on the outside, caked around the screen and it makes me wonder if the same crap is on the inside and might not clean up.

Kevin B.

Take 'em down to Certified Injector or call up Accurate Injector and see what they say. Maybe they have some awesome advice. I will say that I don't know much about GM, but it's pretty common for the aftermarket stuff on Toyotas to not last nearly as long as the OEM parts you took off. If you got a good whack of miles on the original injectors, I'd be for rebuilding them instead of replacing.

Kevin B.

That looks right. I thought they were on main, but 300w makes more sense. They're right across the street from Crankshaft Grinders.

H-K

INFIDEL
Supporting Member
CIS was unable to do side-feed injectors so they sent me over to MasterTech (1700s State) and I left them there to be cleaned for $25 each. If these things don't flow extremely well I'm just going to buy those new ones.

UNSTUCK

But stuck more often.
I've always used the repair shop at the south east corner of 1700 s and State. They do a great job of cleaning and flow matching injectors. I think it was like $25 per injector last time I used them, but there is no guarantee they will work once done. If you're up for a gamble I'd recommend them.

H-K

INFIDEL
Supporting Member
Yep, that's the one they are at right now (MasterTech). I just called and they said they were pretty dirty so they are going to leave it running overnight.

SLC97SR5

IDIesel
Good info.

FWIW, I've had good luck reviving 32 Jaguar injectors and a set of Cavalier injectors by soaking them in SeaFoam overnight and then rigging up a sure shot and blasting them out while firing them with a 9V battery.

ricsrx

so is your decision to clean the OEM rather than replace based on money only? or are you concerned that the aftermarket injectors are of inferior quality?

H-K

INFIDEL
Supporting Member
ricsrx, the ones available for purchase that I was looking at are new and look to be decent quality made by Standard Motor Products. My decision to recondition was partly based on saving a few bucks, but also that I'd have them back in the jeep in a couple of days instead of waiting for a week for shipping. If this cleaning doesn't make them flow like new, I'm just ordering the new ones and may pay for 2-day shipping (~$125 for the set shipped) so I can have it here by the weekend. Alternatively, I could buy some new ones locally from NAPA for $145 for a set. Figured it's worth trying to recondition them. We'll see if that was wasted money or not sometime today.

H-K

INFIDEL
Supporting Member
Just picked up the injectors. They said they are flowing well and matched. Hoping to find time tonight to install and test.

H-K

INFIDEL
Supporting Member
Installed the injectors and they seem to be doing OK. It now idles without dying, but it still has a little surge to it. I'm unsure if these injectors are in need of replacement or is there is something else going on that compounded the original problem.:confused:

H-K

INFIDEL
Supporting Member
After reinstalling the injectors, I wonder if I need to reset the ECU into learning mode or whatever it's called. Anybody out there with any GM TBI knowledge that can answer that? thanks