Looking for machinist with lathe

Kincade

Not really 4x4 related, but I'm looking for a machinist with a lathe that could cut the top off a keg (yes, a beer keg) for me. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
What is the diameter of the keg? If it'll fit on my lathe, I'm sure I can help you. Call me at 801-232-5781 and we can chat about it. :)

Tacoma

Et incurventur ante non
I don't know if this is how you want to do it, but maybe an old hub and a plasma cutter would be easier?? That's a fairly big chuck to grab that diameter on a lathe. :D

Kincade

I don't know if this is how you want to do it, but maybe an old hub and a plasma cutter would be easier?? That's a fairly big chuck to grab that diameter on a lathe. :D

It is big, but I need the opening to be a perfect circle for the lid... Not sure if we could get that cut from a plasma cutter?

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
Dang, my lathe is a 15" swing...so no dice. :(

A plasma cutter with a circle-cutting jig would be fast and easy, and probably a good enough circle? (I don't know how "perfect" is acceptable though...?)

Tacoma

Et incurventur ante non
It is big, but I need the opening to be a perfect circle for the lid... Not sure if we could get that cut from a plasma cutter?

aaahhh, you're cutting a hole in the top, not cutting the top off.

You could set the keg on a turntable, centered, and rotate it under a stationary torch. :D kind like the DIY fixtures people make for cutting out wheel centers...

Summit or Apex might have a big enough lathe-- call Julene at Summit or Dave at Apex-- he sometimes trades small jobs like this for beer, too. :D

Kincade

Dang, my lathe is a 15" swing...so no dice. :(

A plasma cutter with a circle-cutting jig would be fast and easy, and probably a good enough circle? (I don't know how "perfect" is acceptable though...?)

Carl,

Sorry, not explaining myself very well. I need to cut a 12" hole in the top of the keg. The diameter at the largest point (in the center of the keg top to bottom) is 15.5". Does that change anything? I just don't know anyone any more with a plasma cutter and circle jig, and my skills with cutting torch will not lend anywhere close to a circle.

Tacoma; thanks for the tip. If Carl can't do it I'll likely call them.

BCGPER; a router in stainless steel?

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
Carl,

Sorry, not explaining myself very well. I need to cut a 12" hole in the top of the keg. The diameter at the largest point (in the center of the keg top to bottom) is 15.5". Does that change anything? I just don't know anyone any more with a plasma cutter and circle jig, and my skills with cutting torch will not lend anywhere close to a circle.

Tacoma; thanks for the tip. If Carl can't do it I'll likely call them.

BCGPER; a router in stainless steel?

Nope, doesn't change anything. The largest diameter anything I can put on my lathe is 15". :(

If you want to bring it over, I'm sure we can figure out a circle cutting jig easily enough.

Kincade

Nope, doesn't change anything. The largest diameter anything I can put on my lathe is 15". :(

If you want to bring it over, I'm sure we can figure out a circle cutting jig easily enough.

Sounds good; I'll drop you a line next week.

RockChucker

my uncle has a machine shop, and he can chuck on stuff A LOT bigger than that. Give him a call. Ron 801-633-9721. Piping Machine Specialties.