Looking to borrow/rent some differential service tools

I have to replace the factory air locker in the rear Rubicon 44 of my '03 Rubicon. I'm looking to borrow or rent (if necessary) a axle housing spreader and a carrier bearing puller set. I'm putting in an ARB, which has the non-standard bearing on the air supply side, so I won't have a setup bearing to figure out shimming for the carrier. I'm probably going to have to take the carrier out a couple of times to get the carrier bearing preload right.

I did my own gear change a few years back, and got the setup a little wrong. When I took the Jeep to a shop to have a professional re-do the setup with a master install kit, they got as far as the test drive and broke half the locking teeth because the actuator ended up on the wrong side of position sensor. I could have broken it that badly in my driveway, and for free. So, I'll be doing it myself again this time, but I'd like the proper tools to help ensure success.

If you have a spreader and/or a puller, I'd like to speak with you.

Thanks

UFAB

ARB use smaller carrier bearings with master shims. You set up the back lash with slip in shims from each side . Real straight forward.
Little D44 carrier removal can be done with a prybar.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

So, I've been reading and re-reading the ARB instructions, and they describe setting up the carrier bearings both with the shims inboard of the bearings, and with shims outboard, as you describe. When my friend and I changed the gears out with the factory air locker diff, the carrier bearings were inboard. We chose not to change the shims out after we put the pinion shaft into the housing and ran a pattern using the existing carrier bearings and shims and it came out ok.

I wasn't sure how installing the ARB would change the shimming of the carrier bearings, and because their instructions include both methods, I was starting with the assumption that I would follow the method consistent with the factory's, i.e. shims inboard. I have been planning to contact ARB USA tech support to confirm that.

This whole effort began because, after installing the 4.88 gear sets with my friend's help, and then running those gears for the last 4 years, the pinion bearing preload turned out to be a little wrong, leading to a bearing hiss from the rear diff. I figured that since I screwed it up the first time, I would let a professional do it. I took it to a shop that turned out to be not so professional, which cost me my factory air locker. I could have broken it that bad in my own driveway.

At any rate, I was hoping not to repeat my experience with letting a shop perform the work, but I also wanted to "do it right," at least according to the factory service manual, using the "right" tools.
My first effort included prybars and a deadblow to remove and install the carrier. After reading the service manual a bunch of times, I see why using a spreader helps get the carrier bearing preload right, so I'd prefer to do it that way. Plus, I'm working in my driveway, under the Jeep, so not having to force the carrier in and out while trying to get the shim pack right would make things a lot easier.

If the ARB carrier is installed with the shims outboard of the bearings like you say, I can skip the carrier bearing puller.

But, if I can't find a spreader to borrow/rent, I'll end up fabricating one, hopefully for less than what Yukon or ARB want for theirs (approx. $450).

I appreciate your input. It seems like the serious shops are all down your way there south of Provo. I only know of one small serious fabricator up here. By serious, I mean building race-grade equipment. I don't doubt that there are smart folks in the Salt Lake area, but I just haven't come across them. Apart from the small one I do know of up here, I recall places like Rock Logic, but not anymore. Why do you think that is?