looking to buy a AR-15

pELYgroso

'Merica
My bro in law has his FFL and has about 3 or 4 options under $700, depending on what's in stock. Let me know if you want his info and I'll PM you. He can get just about anything for a great deal!

dutchman

KI7KSV
Have you thought about building one? It's a good way to learn the parts and internal workings, and chances are you can build a better quality gun for the same price as entry level AR-15s.

Last edited:

rholbrook

My only thought on this is make sure you can shoot 556's. The ammo is half as much. I have been told that all 556's can shoot 223 but not the other way around. I honestly don't know much about it but thats what I have gathered. I have a Bushmaster that has never been fired but not interested in selling it. I dont think I can shoot 556 in it though for fear of messing up the barrel? Is this correct?

dutchman

KI7KSV
My only thought on this is make sure you can shoot 556's. The ammo is half as much. I have been told that all 556's can shoot 223 but not the other way around. I honestly don't know much about it but thats what I have gathered. I have a Bushmaster that has never been fired but not interested in selling it. I dont think I can shoot 556 in it though for fear of messing up the barrel? Is this correct?

You're correct. Guns chambered for 5.56 can shoot either round. Guns chambered for .223 can only shoot .223.

Marsh99

Lover of all things Toyota

I have a bushmaster and it made to shoot 556.

chans

Pick up this lower for 89.99 shipped
http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.a...ail&utm_term=0_6870497a6a-9ca85427b1-18545505
Keep an eye on parts kit to go on sale again for 425 usually with free shipping and chrome lined bore and bolt face. Sign up for email flyers.
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/21...m4-collapsible-buttstock?cm_vc=ProductFinding
or
http://www.del-ton.com/ar_15_kits_s/1.htm
So 515.00 for one that is equal to ones you find in a store at a grand. Only real tool you need is the stock nut wrench that you can borrow or buy for 26.00. The rest is roll pin punch, exacto blade to hold detent pin in for take down pin and long allen for grip.
Pretty much all barrels are mil-spec so 5.56 instead of .223 even the target stainless ones unless they are custom.

Last edited:

chans

You can shoot 5.56 in a .223 gun it is just higher pressure. About the same as hotter loaded .223. Not telling anyone else to do it but shot 5.56 in guns marked .223 since they have to survive much higher pressures than the minimum of the cartridge like 2x. On the flip side .308 is higher pressure than 7.62 Nato and people shooting .308 in an HK or CETME have reported problems but they are thin stamped steel receivers.

dutchman

KI7KSV
Mine is chambered in .223 Wylde and it shoots 5.56 or .223:)

You can shoot 5.56 in a .223 gun it is just higher pressure. About the same as hotter loaded .223. Not telling anyone else to do it but shot 5.56 in guns marked .223 since they have to survive much higher pressures than the minimum of the cartridge like 2x. On the flip side .308 is higher pressure than 7.62 Nato and people shooting .308 in an HK or CETME have reported problems but they are thin stamped steel receivers.

I stand corrected. Most things I've read and people I've talked to say shooting 5.56 in a .223 chambered gun is asking for problems. I just say you can't to avoid the risk.

muleskinner

I stand corrected. Most things I've read and people I've talked to say shooting 5.56 in a .223 chambered gun is asking for problems. I just say you can't to avoid the risk.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_118/400993_.html

"A Wylde chamber, which is a mix between .223 and 5.56. The 5.56x45 NATO is NOT exactly the same as a .223 Rem. The 5.56 spec allows for slightly longer chambers for higher pressures. The .223 has a tighter chamber around the neck and is shorter which allows for a bit better accuracy. You can shoot .223 ammo in a 5.56 chamber, but it is DANGEROUS to shoot 5.56 (surplus for instance) ammo in a .223 chamber. What the Wylde chamber does is allow for 5.56 ammo with slightly tighter chamber for better accuracy. So you can shoot both 5.56 and .223 safely with good accuracy"