Looking to take the family to Moab...

Sasquatch_Adventures

So I am looking to take the family to Moab and while I am down there I would like to do a little wheeling. I've only be through Moab and have never had the chance to go wheeling there so I am not sure where to go. I am looking for a easy scenic trail something my stock:rolleyes: JK can do and the closer to town the better.

Any advise would be awesome!

Spork

Tin Foil Hat Equipped
Tusher tunnel is great for the kids, it's not too far they get to walk around and check out the tunnel. Fins and Things is close if you want an actual trail. Up to Gemini Bridges isn't too tough, you can catch Bull canyon (trail to the bottom of Gemini) on the way back out. I've heard good things about Long Canyon but I haven't done it yet (it's on my list).

If you have a GPS you can load the GPX files from http://www.traildamage.com/trails/index.php so you don't take a wrong turn.

sawtooth4x4

Totally Awesome
get this book.

http://www.funtreks.com/utah-books/guide-to-moab-ut-backroads-4-wheel-drive-trails-2nd-edition

It has helped me a lot to find trails and is nice to get a description of trails. I've done a lot of trails in a mostly stock land rover. your jeep should do fine. I've run Fins and Things with my buddy in his completely stock Range Rover Classic. Its good to use a combination of that book and GPS with the trails in it.

I love Moab. It was one of the top reasons I wanted to move to Utah for a while. Now I can go every 3-6 months instead of once a year.

Nappy

Nappystunts.com
Tusher Tunnel I don't think you can count as a 4x4 trail. It's a dirt road to the tunnel isn't it? It's great for a break with the kids though. The book is definitely the way to go. Just realize that the odometer readings might be a hair off... Fins n Things I always tell people is the best first timer trail and you can hit mini Lion's back real quick to scare the wifey but it's super easy. It's scenic and the obstacles are passable.

MikeGyver

UtahWeld.com
definitely hells revenge, it's a slickrock rollercoater, very scenic, the few obstacles are optional or have bypasses and it's basically in town. baby lions back is awesome too lol, it's a 3 minute "trail".

Last edited:

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
Long Canyon is just down Potash Road and dumps you up on the mesa by Dead Horse Point. Worth the run. It's a dirt road with some steepness and a cool rock you drive under.

033%20(Small).JPG

JK can handle it. Anything less than a JK will struggle, though. ;)

Kevin B.

Not often wrong. Never quite right.
get this book.

http://www.funtreks.com/utah-books/guide-to-moab-ut-backroads-4-wheel-drive-trails-2nd-edition

It has helped me a lot to find trails and is nice to get a description of trails. I've done a lot of trails in a mostly stock land rover. your jeep should do fine. I've run Fins and Things with my buddy in his completely stock Range Rover Classic. Its good to use a combination of that book and GPS with the trails in it.

I love Moab. It was one of the top reasons I wanted to move to Utah for a while. Now I can go every 3-6 months instead of once a year.

X2. OP, your stock JK can cope with half the red trails in that book, and will scoff at anything blue and green.

Except for Long Canyon, it got washed out and only Toyotas can handle it now.

Spork

Tin Foil Hat Equipped
Tusher Tunnel I don't think you can count as a 4x4 trail. It's a dirt road to the tunnel isn't it? It's great for a break with the kids though. The book is definitely the way to go. Just realize that the odometer readings might be a hair off... Fins n Things I always tell people is the best first timer trail and you can hit mini Lion's back real quick to scare the wifey but it's super easy. It's scenic and the obstacles are passable.

Yea it's basically a dirt road, unless you take a wrong turn and end up high centering the wife's Sequoia on a stupid drop. Not that I know anything about that... ;)

Spork

Tin Foil Hat Equipped
X2. OP, your stock JK can cope with half the red trails in that book, and will scoff at anything blue and green.

Except for Long Canyon, it got washed out and only Toyotas can handle it now.

So I'm in Moab today and thought I would check out Long Canyon, there was a road closed sign on the side as you start by jug handle arch. Is that something left over from when it washed out or is it real? Lots of dirt looked like it was pushed around by a dozer and the trail looked fine but the wife didn't want to chance it.

mesha

By endurance we conquer
I rode my bike up long canyon once. only once.

ouch.

I would second the guide book thing. Pick a page and go for it. Your JK will really surprise you.

Sasquatch_Adventures

Wow great info thank you! I will buy the book and download some GPS coordinates. This gives me some great options for sure, I will post up pics if we go. Thank you again for the info!

Sasquatch_Adventures

A group of us will be down there October 16-19th your welcome to join us in any if the days. We usually do mild exploration stuff.
Cool thanks for the invite, we still are not set on what weekend yet, it either be the 11th or the 18th.

Yes the weather will play a big factor in our trip I wont go out if its bad weather and I'd rather not go out right after either. We will see I guess...