Lost gears in H2 transmission

RuggedH2

Just doing my thing.
Damn........ I was not happy. :mad::mad:

I got up early yesterday (05:30) and drove in to a training class. The class was at our firearms range and the temps were less than 20 degrees.

Anyway, the truck ran perfect like it always does (it only has 40,000 miles) and at about 11:30 I took off from the range to go to a different location. The truck started and ran fine but took off really slow...... So I thought it might be just because it was cold and has been for so long lately. It is always parked outside because it's too tall to fit in the garage.

By the time I reached the stop sign and accelerated into the intersection.... I realized something was really wrong. When the truck got into it's RPM range it was fine but as I continued accelerating up to the highway speed the RPM's came way up and the truck wouldn't shift up.

Turns out I only had two gears....... Second and reverse.

I just had the oil changed the day before at the dealership and I wondered if they forgot to put something back (like fluids or a plug). I pulled over and checked the transmission fluid (it was fine). I also turned the truck off for 2 minutes and then back on and went through shifting the gears while holding the brake... while stopped.

So I then decided to limp the truck into the SLC Hummer dealership because it's only a few miles from where I was. I called On-Star while enroute to have them run a diagnostic and find out if they thought I should pull over and get a tow truck.

Basically I figured out that unless you're involved in an accident...... On-Star is completely worthless. The people they have as operators know nothing about vehicles.

My trip to the dealership was all city surface streets and no freeway so I limped the truck just fine into the dealership. The transmission temps (which I have a gauge for) never reached 150 so the transmission temps were fine.... and at least On-star had confirmed that they were getting a code from the torque converter.

So I dropped the H2 at the dealership and went back to work worrying about what GM was going to say about warranty coverage on the transmission connected to an H2 with a lift, 38 inch tires, regeared axles, front locker, obvious undercarriage off road damage, etc.

I got a call from the service adviser two hours later telling me that the truck was fixed. It was some electronic sending unit malfunctioning that passes information from the engine to the transmission to the computer.

Wow was I relieved. I picked the truck up an hour later. All covered under warranty and washed..... they even wiped the dirt out of the inside (dash) and vacuumed the carpets. Then they parked it inside on the service drive where they park the cool vehicles they service (The H1's, CTS-V's, and Corvettes).

I couldn't have been happier and I like that this truck has still never let me down or left me stranded. Even injured.... I could limp this thing in.

Happy happy.... Joy joy.

RuggedH2

Just doing my thing.
It's not nearly as bad as people make it out to be.

Maybe it would be different on tight forest trails in the South. However here in Utah it has been no problem.

The turning radius has been the biggest drawback.

kake

Lost gears

Last time I lost my gears I found them smoking behind the local 7-11. Damn teen agers--JK. Glad they were honest with you. That's seem to be rare trait these days.

lewis

Fight Till You Die
They were probably just glad someone came in. Last time I was there it was a ghost town in there. The Hummer dealership was even shut down. My bro had the same thing happen to his escalade. Its nice when things go wrong and that don't cost lots of $$ and lots of trouble. I am however rarely that lucky.