Lost offroaders in draper.

Rusted

Let's Ride!
Supporting Member
You just beat me to it, I was putting my post together. I thought that corner canyon was closed to all offroad traffic.

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
Man that is my old stomping ground, not single road I haven't driven or hiked.

What really has me wondering is the fact that there are very few places in CC that you can't see civilization, either the homes up on the ridge or the cities below. I mean you could be down a ravine or canyon but with any short walk you should have sighted something?

Curiosity has the cat...

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
http://www.ksl.com/index.php?nid=148&sid=13792534

DRAPER -- Search and rescue crews have located the vehicle and bodies of two people missing since Christmas day in the Corner Canyon area of Draper.

It appears the vehicle went off an 200-foot embankment and down a ravine, where it lays upside down. The body of Micah Huggard, 26 of American Fork, was found inside the Jeep. His fiance, Kyong-Hee Kim, who turned 27 Monday, was found outside the vehicle.

Crews say it'll take a couple of hours to remove the body from the area.

The young couple, which got engaged Christmas Eve, took off on off-road trip Christmas day and told family they planned to return within a couple of hours, but never showed up.

Huggard's family members searched informally for the pair Sunday, But when their search turned up empty, they called authorities around midnight, who began a formal search Monday around 9 a.m.

Family members told KSL the couple had cell phones, but they haven't heard from them.

The couple, which was not dressed for outdoor winter conditions, did call a friend around 8 p.m. Christmas night, but that was the last anyone heard from them.

A family spokesman told KSL Huggard had just started a new job with an alarm company and Kim was an LDS Business College student who was transferring to BYU.

Bart

Very sad indeed. Sounds like it got dark and they were somewhat inexperienced and got too close to an edge.

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
Lots of morals could be inferred from whats unfolding to be a most tragic accident but the reality is we don't know what happened and its very possible a second rig would have done nothing more but speed up the unsettling news to the families involved. I go four wheeling in a single rig often, just last week we did a few hundred miles in the middle of the West Desert in the middle of the night. However we are prepared to do so. I have a locating device that my wife and others can use to determine our exact location, I have food, shelter, water, tools, weapons, flare gun and a cell phone. Sure we can find a scenario in which I would be SOL without a second rig, I can find equally as many where two rigs can be screwed. There is some intrinsic danger when you leave your house, for some that danger is too much and needs to be mitigated, for others the danger is the reason to leave home. Assess the risk and prepare accordingly, you will never satisfy all variables and attempts to do so will leave you paranoid at best.