lower arms on a 89 mj

FatTony

i have a 89 mj with heim joints on the axle and the frame mounts. now whould this couse some problem going above 15 on a bump road? the arms seems to be knocking around, when i hit a bump.

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
Depends on the heims of course, but assuming they're good quality, strong enough for the application, and not worn out--you're fine. They'll always be noisy because they'll transmit every jolt right to the unibody with no dampening like a bushing, so you'll hear every little thing.

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
There should be zero play in them, and sometimes you can tell just by looking if the ball is worn. (if the chrome plating is nice and smooth vs rusted/pitted or galled)

As far as quality and strength, you (or whoever built them) should know what brand and size or part number they are, and you can tell that way.

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
I always like to have some kind of bushing at the other end of any link that involves a heim or flex joint (except steering links, duh). It soaks up the excess noise and hard hits that the suspension will see and in my opinion makes the parts last a lot longer.

fatkid44

Use Wayne and AllJeep.com
Is it lifted? If so how much? I have some lowers for a 3" (roughly) lift from my 89 that have bushings on each end. PM if interested

fatkid44

Use Wayne and AllJeep.com
I guess I can't help, but its good to know MJ's are getting love =). I have a 4.5" RE lift on mine, rides great, bought it from Wayne Hartwig on here. If you end needing new arms, get in touch with him.