Lower Helldorado re opened?

Rick B

S.E. Utah Native
Word through the grape vine is that the new land owner failed to show up in court so the claim of it being a public road is settled & the trail is officially & permanently open. Anyone know anything for sure?

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
I haven't heard anything. Kurt or Jeff, any news on this??

I'm not holding my breath, but if this is the case, I'll be checking it out this weekend.

drtsqrl

I luv Pritchett
Greg said:
I haven't heard anything. Kurt or Jeff, any news on this??

I'm not holding my breath, but if this is the case, I'll be checking it out this weekend.

I haven't heard anything, but I wouldn't hold my breath. I am going to be working not far from there for the next couple of days, so I'll stop by if I can and see if it is still posted. The best thing would be to call the San Juan County Sheriff... I won't be able to till next week.

Jeff

drtsqrl

I luv Pritchett
I walked up to the Lower Heldorado trailhead this morning on my way to work. Both Lower Hell and Strike Ravine are still fenced and posted with "no trespassing" signs. Our land use officer called San Juan County, and was told they they have sent the land owner a certified letter telling them that the trail (Strike Ravine) must remain open unless officially closed thru due process. The owner has not responded to the letter, or officially asked to close the road. We will be contacting San Juan County again soon in an attempt to get the trail open ASAP. It is important to remember that while the county is claiming Strike Ravine, they probably have no legal claim to Helldorado. Bottom line is, the trail is closed as of right now.

Jeff
RR4W

RockMonkey

Suddenly Enthusiastic
drtsqrl said:
I walked up to the Lower Heldorado trailhead this morning on my way to work. Both Lower Hell and Strike Ravine are still fenced and posted with "no trespassing" signs. Our land use officer called San Juan County, and was told they they have sent the land owner a certified letter telling them that the trail (Strike Ravine) must remain open unless officially closed thru due process. The owner has not responded to the letter, or officially asked to close the road. We will be contacting San Juan County again soon in an attempt to get the trail open ASAP. It is important to remember that while the county is claiming Strike Ravine, they probably have no legal claim to Helldorado. Bottom line is, the trail is closed as of right now.

Jeff
RR4W
Thanks for check'n. You rock. :cool:

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
Ditto what Jeff said...

The landowners did fail to appear at a public hearing on the matter, it was not a court case/lawsuit, just a hearing on the subject. But legally the road is still closed until the dispute is settled... and as Jeff pointed out, claiming Lower Helldorado is going to be quite the task....

Rick B

S.E. Utah Native
That sounds a little more like what I was expecting. That's the trouble with getting 3rd hand info, the retellers always change something & eventually the whole thing is completely different from the original.