Lowest gears for d44?

4x4phil

What's the lowest ratio for the d44. Specifically for the low pinion wagoneer 44's (not that they come in high pinion anyway). Not the xj style either. I'm might swap a set into my yj, but I need a really deep cut so my 4 banger can turn 35's and still make use of 5th gear. My knowledge of gears doesn't go deeper than 4.88's.

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
4x4phil said:
What's the lowest ratio for the d44. Specifically for the low pinion wagoneer 44's (not that they come in high pinion anyway). Not the xj style either. I'm might swap a set into my yj, but I need a really deep cut so my 4 banger can turn 35's and still make use of 5th gear. My knowledge of gears doesn't go deeper than 4.88's.

I've got a set of 5.13s in my lp wagoneers. I think aftermarket offers one set lower than 5.13 as well...

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
I've seen 5.89's, that's about as low as they go for D44's though, pretty sure.

4x4phil

What are your suggestions? I was hoping to save a dime and go really low in my axle so I don't have to get a tc reduction. But I'd still like the option of driving to moab. I only have a 4cyl motor. If I ran 5.89's what rpm would I have at 70?

Caleb

4x4phil said:
What are your suggestions? I was hoping to save a dime and go really low in my axle so I don't have to get a tc reduction. But I'd still like the option of driving to moab. I only have a 4cyl motor. If I ran 5.89's what rpm would I have at 70?
I had that same setup on my Wrangler (2.5L, manual tranny, and 5.89s). I was running 35s and My fifth gear was still pretty useless with ANY kind of head wind but I could cruise the freeways around town just fine. I'd rahter not had the 2.5L on my trips to Moab but it got me there and it worked. (I had 5.89 in the front, D44, and 5.83 in the rear, 9") IMO, the deep gears were fine but I still wanted more gearing (i.e. transfer case reduction).