Jeep LS swap for the LJ

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
Wow, that's an interesting discovery! :D Well, at least you have a rebuilt transmission that will last for a long time! I'd imagine a t-case isn't much more money at this point.

glockman

I hate Jeep trucks
Yea it's not ideal but it isn't terrible to have new parts. I think the 32 spline were HD units, not sure what is more beef but they only came behind 3/4 and 1 tons. Looks like there were two different input shafts on 241's, one wide bearing and one narrow. I have a spare 246 that may have the correct input. I'll tear it apart today and see if not, a new shaft is around $100. Another junkyard case is $130 but if have to make sure it's got the correct input or just swap the SYE to that case.

zmotorsports

Hardcore Gearhead
Vendor
Advance Adapters makes a 32-spline input for the 241 model TC.

That is what I used as my 6L80 had a 32-spline output shaft. Worked perfectly.

*On edit, I think it may actually be a Novak input shaft and not AA.

Mike

Last edited:

RockChucker

Yep, likely was fine but dumb mistakes stacked make good components present faulty symptoms 😔
Sometimes we are our own worst enemies. I was chasing a intermittent chirp/squeak in the accessory drive of my 5.3 when I finished my Jeep up a few years ago. The Jeep had been under the knife for 18 months and I figured that grinding/shop dust had gotten into the bearings on the alternator. It had a faint squeak when turned by hand. Didn't fix the problem. Moved onto the water pump that also had a faint squeak and replaced that. Then it was onto replacing the idler pulleys. None of it fixed the dang squeak. Turns out my power steering pulley was pushed too far onto the shaft and the belt was chirping on the water pump as it realigned itself after running on the PS pulley. Only cost me $1000 to find a squeak that could have been fixed for free :rolleyes:

UNSTUCK

But stuck more often.
My dumb luck: I had a 700r4 built one time with x number of splines on the output. I then ran across a Dana 300 with the same x splines for the input and had it shipped to me. They mated up just fine and ran grate for several years. I then sold the 700 and was quickly informed by the buyer that it had y number of splines on the output not x. I counted my d300 and sure enough it also had y number of splines. My tranny builder built it wrong and the seller if the d300 told me wrong. And yet they were both right for each other. Match made in heaven. What are the odds?

glockman

I hate Jeep trucks
It sounds like his Tcase is already 32 spline, but the transmission is only 27.
Correct, mine has a 32 spline input, I need a 27 spline. There are several companies that make them. There are two different 27 spline inputs based on the bearing width. I was going to just pick up another junkyard case, but I'm not sure what years have what bearing width. So I'll tear mine down tomorrow and order the appropriate input.

Did get some work done today. With the oil pan close to the axle I wanted to be able to fine tune my bump stops and also dampen the weight of a V8😁 so I picked up some speed bumps and 2.5“ jk lower bump pads from mesha.

20200414_201908.jpg

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
Did get some work done today. With the oil pan close to the axle I wanted to be able to fine tune my bump stops and also dampen the weight of a V8😁 so I picked up some speed bumps and 2.5“ jk lower bump pads from mesha.

I don't remember how close my oil pan was to my axle in my TJ, but it was a similar combo... 5.3L LM7 running a F-Body oil pan with 3" springs and a front Tera 60. I believe I was still running stock bump stops and everything cleared.

glockman

I hate Jeep trucks
@glockman You have got to be chomping at the bit with this little setbacks. I know I would be.
A younger, more angry me would have started welding near an oily pile of rags, who am I kidding, I wouldn't have filled it with tannerite and shot it. Old, calm me is happy to take a break from the Corona virus escape pod known as my garage and ride my bike while I wait for more parts.
Really it's not been bad. The bad part will be all the tiny things I don't like after we start driving it. Those little issues drive me more nuts than tearing axles or drive trains out.

1969honda

Supporting Member
Oh I feel bad I'm late to this party, I've been down to PG/Orem 3-4 times in the past two weeks from Logan. I know I have a wide bearing 27 spline np241 that I converted to 32 for a 6l80 project. Its yours if you want it.

*Edit* here's a pick, was sitting on my work bench

Attachments

• 15871064035375452304170862777865.jpg
    15871064035375452304170862777865.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:

glockman

I hate Jeep trucks
Oh I feel bad I'm late to this party, I've been down to PG/Orem 3-4 times in the past two weeks from Logan. I know I have a wide bearing 27 spline np241 that I converted to 32 for a 6l80 project. Its yours if you want it.

*Edit* here's a pick, was sitting on my work bench
I often wonder when I haul things to the scrap yard, how many people are currently looking for the exact item I'm scrapping. :rofl:

Still haven't got shipping confirmation on the one I ordered yesterday but it should be in the mail. I'll let you know if I don't see it ship today.
Thanks for the offer. I know I've said it before, but RME is the greatest.

1969honda

Supporting Member
Just got word I'm gonna be heading down to Orem either tomorrow or Monday to grab some other 60 parts, let me know if you want that input and it's yours.