LS1 camshaft upgrade?

TurboMinivan

Still plays with cars
You don’t “need” to pull the heads to swap the cam. Remove the rockers and push rods and rotate the cam a couple times. The lifter trays should hold the lifters up in place. Keep rotating the cam as it slides out. Quickly slide the new cam in while rotating it again. Pray the trays aren’t so worn that they drop lifters. 😁

Matt Happel (aka Sloppy Mechanics) has many videos showing him doing exactly this. He oftens quips, "if you don't look at the cam bearings, they will always be fine."

A good source for actual dino tests is Richard Holdeners YouTube channel. He has dozens of ls cam comparison videos.

THIS x eleventy billion.

NYCEGUY01

I wouldn't bother with a tune without at least a cam. You wont pick up enough to be worth the $.
The axle back exhaust sounds good but isn't adding much for power or flow.
You'll need long tube headers for any significant gains there.

There is a cam made specifically for that combo and stock exhaust manifolds though.

It will add a noticeable amount of power and a decent idle. You can also get away with a stock converter.
There are other cams that will make more power for sure but you will absolutely want a higher stall and long tube headers with all of them...

As far as what Greg said.. You have the absolute worst LS intake manifold ever made...lol A stock LS6 is a HUGE upgrade and would be worth the $ spent. Or if you're a baller.. FAST intakes are badass. Most of mine are in trucks so the old TBSS manifolds are where its at...lol

A good dyno tune will be around $700- $800 at a good shop like Premier.. You get what you pay for generally.
If the guy running the dyno tunes hot rod LS motors all day every day for a living, and they are booked out 2 months, and they charge alot....
That's a good sign its gonna run perfect when you get it back....lol

Last edited:

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
Good stuff, thanks everyone for all the info....lots of research I'll need to eventually do. 🙂

I need to work out what I want to do for stickier tires first, then probably a new clutch, THEN maybe I can worry about power. 🤷‍♂️