Jeep Lug pattern change on an XJ

DOSS

Poker of the Hornets Nest
Ok.. so has anyone or does anyone know if it would be possible to redrill the lug pattern on a XJ D30 to 5 on 5 instead of 5 on 4.5. Or is there another Unit bearing out there that would just bolt on? I know I would also have to have my Rotors redrilled as well.

I am thinking that it might be cheaper to go to a 16 inch wheel (IE JK takeoffs) so I can get some more tire size availability (33 at the tallest but Narrow), Heck even stock JK tires HEHE :)...

anyhow any input would be appreciated.

Last edited:

DOSS

Guess I should have mentioned that I don't want to change my WMS, Prefer to keep my tires inside the wells without flares if at all possible.. Thanks for the info though..

bryson

RME Resident Ninja
Supporting Member
Ok.. so has anyone or does anyone know if it would be possible to redrill the lug pattern on a XJ D30 to 5 on 5.5 instead of 5 on 4.5. Or is there another Unit bearing out there that would just bolt on? I know I would also have to have my Rotors redrilled as well.

I am thinking that it might be cheaper to go to a 16 inch wheel (IE JK takeoffs) so I can get some more tire size availability (33 at the tallest but Narrow), Heck even stock JK tires HEHE :)...

anyhow any input would be appreciated.

You'd have to go to a 5 on 5" pattern to run JK wheels. 5 on 5.5" is the old CJ pattern.

Plus, I don't think there is enough room (diameter) to safely redrill your unibearings and rear shafts.

I'd bet you could run an adapter to change the pattern and still have the wheel inside the fender... The JK wheels have a TON of backspacing that might make it a perfect fit with the spacer/adapter.

DOSS

You'd have to go to a 5 on 5" pattern to run JK wheels. 5 on 5.5" is the old CJ pattern.

Plus, I don't think there is enough room (diameter) to safely redrill your unibearings and rear shafts.

Thanks for the catch on that... I was intending 5 on 5.. My rear shafts are already both 5 on 4.5 and 5 on 5 something.. wow I am going to have to check that.. they are Alloy USA shafts. ---

Ok Just checked the rears are drilled for 5 on 4.5 and 5 on 5.5... hmmm another set of Holes :EEK:

Last edited:

DOSS

I'd bet you could run an adapter to change the pattern and still have the wheel inside the fender... The JK wheels have a TON of backspacing that might make it a perfect fit with the spacer/adapter.

may have to look into this more, Trying to be cheap here :).. Re drilling is time, wheel spacers = $$ :)

Jared

Formerly DeadEye J
Or lots of Ford car 16" wheels, or Ford Explorer 16" wheels, or (I believe) Dodge Charger 16" wheels, or...

Heck, I've got a set of 16x7" Lincoln wheels you could take off my hands for twenty bucks. 5 on 4.5" pattern.

Jared

outlaw_offroad

XJ Pride!!!
90s Jeep Grand Cherokees ran 16x7 wheels. Most were even aluminum. I run American Racing 16x7 steels on my XJ with 35x12.50 TSL SSR. They set me back about $200 for 5. The 7 inch wide wheel works awesome at low pressure. Us South Dakota boys call the Black Hills Beadlocks because you can run crazy low air pressures and not roll the bead off. I always run 7 psi or lower on the trail and have never blown a bead.

bryson

RME Resident Ninja
Supporting Member
put the old cj knuckles and outers on your 30 then you'll get 5x5.5, not a hard swap but the shafts arnt the same.

Um... No. CJ knuckles have ball joints in the knuckle itself. XJ (and any other unibearing Jeep) have ball joints suspended in the inner C on the axle housing. Won't interchange unless you install inner Cs and knuckle from the CJ (way too much work into a 30...)

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
Um... No. CJ knuckles have ball joints in the knuckle itself. XJ (and any other unibearing Jeep) have ball joints suspended in the inner C on the axle housing. Won't interchange unless you install inner Cs and knuckle from the CJ (way too much work into a 30...)

Exactly

(I think I saw something in a magazine about an aftermarket knuckle that would let you put a traditional spindle/hub setup on a XJ, YJ, ZJ type axle. Could be a bit cost prohibitive, but....)

bryson i forgot to mention the inner c swapping part i was half asleep when i posted :D

Exactly

(I think I saw something in a magazine about an aftermarket knuckle that would let you put a traditional spindle/hub setup on a XJ, YJ, ZJ type axle. Could be a bit cost prohibitive, but....)

dedenbear-d30knuckle.jpg

these what your talking about? they are made by reid racing and if i remember right about 300 per side.