Lumber for Trailer Decking

Jinx

when in doubt, upgrade!
Ok, I need to replace some boards in my big trailer and do the whole deck on my single hauler.

So I have some questions...

1. What kind of wood? (I am kind of at a point in life where I don't have time to do something every other year, because i can save a buck to do it that way, so I don't mind spending a little more to do right.)

2. Where to buy it? I need a couple of 2x8x20' for the big trailer and home depot doesn't carry it.

3. Does pre treated wood make sense? I think I heard somewhere it will shrink in time.

Any input would be appreciated. :)

BCGPER

Starting Another Thread
Yup. Redwood once, and a coat of Linseed every couple of years. Yes it's expensive, but like you I like to do thing once. My trailer deck is 10+ years old now, and doesn't show any weathering. I haven't oiled it in a couple years, and it's starting to look pretty dry. Guess I'll have to get on it.

FWIW, Sutherland's "used" to have a good selection of redwood. I haven't shopped there in years to know if this is still the case.

BCGPER

Starting Another Thread
Yes, soft. If you're just running rubber tires on it, it's no problem. Mine has some scars on it from hauling vehicles missing a wheel or four, but it's just cosmetic damage like you would get on your old pine deck.

Toad

Mine is just regular old fir. Twice a year I pressure wash the deck and then spray some thompsons deck sealent on it and it looks great. Mine is 4 years old with a lot of use.

I am sure that the redwood would last longer, but that stuff is spendy.

Bart

Oh man, this had to come up and remind me that I have to redo my dad's trailer this spring. Hmmm, think I'll try redwood.

neagtea

Supporting Member
I went 2x6 to help with the boards wanting to curl along the width. Original 2x10s lasted ten ish years I just bought cheep paint every couple years and rolled it on.

STAG

On my grind
At work we use.pressure treated lumber just from home depot, on our trailers eith enough support crossmembers underneath it lasts a long time, but with our constant abuse of heavy equipment, our trailers lacking in the support will break a board every now and then. But it's relatively easy and cheap to fix. We can't afford to do redwood decks on 10+ equipment trailers, 5 of which being large enough to haul trackhoes or dozers.

Pressure treated does last tenfold longer than non-pressure-treated in my experience. And with my personal (non work/non abused/non heavy equipment trailer) it has had the same pressure treated wood on it for the last 5 years, when it was built, and is in great condition and zero maintenance has been done to the deck lumber, and the trailer used fairly frequently.

Jinx

when in doubt, upgrade!
At work we use.pressure treated lumber just from home depot, on our trailers eith enough support crossmembers underneath it lasts a long time, but with our constant abuse of heavy equipment, our trailers lacking in the support will break a board every now and then. But it's relatively easy and cheap to fix. We can't afford to do redwood decks on 10+ equipment trailers, 5 of which being large enough to haul trackhoes or dozers.

Pressure treated does last tenfold longer than non-pressure-treated in my experience. And with my personal (non work/non abused/non heavy equipment trailer) it has had the same pressure treated wood on it for the last 5 years, when it was built, and is in great condition and zero maintenance has been done to the deck lumber, and the trailer used fairly frequently.

any problems with the boards shinking?

I was thinking the pre treated would be the way to go, but nervous the boards would shrink and be a headache later on...

BCGPER

Starting Another Thread
FWIW, I used 10" boards just because it worked out best on my 78" deck (only had to rip one board to width). If you orient the grain correctly, the boards will try to curl downward which they can't because of the cross bracing. Also, any wood product will swell and shrink. Just plan accordingly and it's not a big deal.